Did Adam and Eve 'replenish' the earth?

After the flood God told Noah to go out and ‘replenish’ the earth. Meaning it was originally ‘Plenished’.

When Adam and Eve left the garden of eden He said the same thing using the same word interpreted as Replenish. Does that mean it was previously ‘plenished’

Did satan have his throne on earth while the dinosaurs were going at it? before man was even created? While the ‘chaos’ of the lava and volcano’s were creating the land masses we see today?

[quote="Aussieman88, post:1, topic:319108"]
After the flood God told Noah to go out and 'replenish' the earth. Meaning it was originally 'Plenished'.

When Adam and Eve left the garden of eden He said the same thing using the same word interpreted as Replenish. Does that mean it was previously 'plenished'

Did satan have his throne on earth while the dinosaurs were going at it? before man was even created? While the 'chaos' of the lava and volcano's were creating the land masses we see today?

[/quote]

Some theologians (though no Catholics that I know of) speak of the "gap theory." This theory suggests that there is a time gap of millions of years between Gen 1:1 and 1:2. The idea is that after God "created the heavens and the earth" a vast period of time in which Lucifer reigned in righteousness over a civilization that included ape-like anthropomorphs (cave-men I suppose). Lucifer then became prideful and said that he would "ascend above the clouds" (Ezekiel) and led a rebellion against heaven whereupon he was cast down and the light he provided (Lucifer means bright one) was extinguished leaving us at Gen 1:2, "The earth was formless and void and darkness lay upon the face of the deep."

Some use the argument that in the days of creation that everything God created was "Good", however in the initial creation of heaven and earth there is no mention of goodness but rather darkness and void etc. The argument is that since everything God creates is good, the darkness and void could not possibly be the original state of creation but the result of Lucifer's fallen state that left the world cursed (much like Adam's curse).

I have no idea of the state of this discussion in Theology because I left the Protestant tradition where radical ideas are generally proposed. I first heard this theory by the Louisiana Pastor Jimmy Swaggart back in the 80s. Today, I believe what the Catholic Church teaches and only that. I do not know that there is any statement on this theory by the Catholic Church.

So according to the Gap Theory, Adam and Eve would need to REplenish the earth. A more logical explanation of the word is that the word may imply something in the original language that we do not get in English.

After the flood God told Noah to go out and 'replenish' the earth. Meaning it was originally 'Plenished'.

When Adam and Eve left the garden of eden He said the same thing using the same word interpreted as Replenish. Does that mean it was previously 'plenished'

Did satan have his throne on earth while the dinosaurs were going at it? before man was even created? While the 'chaos' of the lava and volcano's were creating the land masses we see today?

[/quote]

Interesting questions! I never thought of satan with the dinasaurs.:p

I think the majority of Genesis is allegorical, good but allegorical. The flood, the Garden of Eden, Adam & Eve & their sons, and their wives; where did they come from? Noah & family were the only good of God's chosen people; I suppose a lot of Vikings & Polynesians rode the storm out in their boats. You have a lot of time to think wandering across these places i.e. Iraq. As in the forbidden fruit & original sin, it is free will, totally up to us - the most important of allegories. Time is an invention of man, God is eternal. The words of Jesus... that is our future.

I had an Iraqi petroleum geologist tell me there was an enormous ice dam at the end of the last ice age in the northern mountains, and when it broke it scoured what is now known as Mesopotamia. He also said "I never say this in public"

And speaking of Genesis, perhaps someone could explain the removal of Lilith from the Old Testament [as well as the Quran & Torah] She was the first woman as in "27 And God made man in his image, in the image of God he made them: male and female. 28 And God gave them his blessing and said to them, Be fertile and have increase." both being made from the "dust of the Earth"

I hope I am not upsetting anyone, to me this is a very complex question, at least in my pointed little head.

[/quote]

Can you show me where you see the word 'replenish'?

When Adam and Eve left the garden of eden He said the same thing using the same word interpreted as Replenish.

Hmm... two questions for you, here:

First, where do you see God commanding Adam and Eve to "replenish" the earth in Genesis 3? I see him mentioning that Eve will have increased pain in childbirth, but that's about it.

Second, I don't see the word 'replenish' here at all. In fact, we see the same formula in Genesis 1:28 (αὐξάνεσθε καὶ πληθύνεσθε καὶ πληρώσατε τὴν γῆν) as in Genesis 9:1 (αὐξάνεσθε καὶ πληθύνεσθε καὶ πληρώσατε τὴν γῆν): "increase and multiply and fill the earth". No notion of 'replenishing' anywhere there... ;)

Adam and Eve were commanded to "be fruitful and multiply", to "replenish the earth".

[quote="aemcpa, post:7, topic:319108"]
Adam and Eve were commanded to "be fruitful and multiply", to "replenish the earth".

[/quote]

*NOT to "replenish the earth".

[quote="aemcpa, post:8, topic:319108"]
*NOT to "replenish the earth".

[/quote]

You guys got me thinking, so I looked it up on biblegateway as I'm at work and don't have my bible on me.

I found biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%201:28&version=KJV;DRA

In short, the KJV version of Gen 1:28 *does * say to "replenish." Though in the link I provided, it seems other versions do not.

[quote="loozcannon, post:9, topic:319108"]
You guys got me thinking, so I looked it up on biblegateway as I'm at work and don't have my bible on me.

I found biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%201:28&version=KJV;DRA

In short, the KJV version of Gen 1:28 *does * say to "replenish." Though in the link I provided, it seems other versions do not.

[/quote]

Touche. Well, in that case:

It seems that the translators used "replenish" in its archaic form, meaning "to make replete", or therefore "to fill to abundance". Stronger than just "fill", but not the common meaning of "refill" that we have today.

[quote="loozcannon, post:9, topic:319108"]

[/quote]

Aah... so it's the KJV that says 'replenish'? The KJV says many interesting things. That's why the Catholic Church doesn't use it. ;)

I use the New american bible, Saint Josephs Edition and a very old copy of the KJV.

Sometimes I find a passage that doesn't make sense so I check with the KJV and there's different wording that actually makes sence with the rest of the verses. It works both ways actually. I need an expanded version. Thanks for the Awesome replies. I thought this was interesting.

the Hebrew verb is "ma-le". Strong's concordance says:

To be full*/ **fulness, abundance*, **be accomplished, be ended, to consecrate, to be filled, be armed, satisfy,fulfil, accomplish, complete,confirm.

I wouldn't worry much over the "re" in replenish.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.