Did all the Apostles receive the sacrament of Confirmation before the last supper?

Were they all baptised prior to receiving the eucharist?

Were they all confirmed prior to receiving the eucharist?

How could they receive the eucharist if they didn’t have the Holy Spirit in them? And why can’t people now?

Uhm, malachi_a_serva, who told you that one has to be confirmed before receiving Communion?

I received my first Communion several years before I was confirmed.

Oh boy, was I SSSSOOOO cute then :stuck_out_tongue:

Did they receive the sacrament after the last supper then?

Given the emphasis that Jesus placed upon baptism, I think this is a reasonable assumption.

Were they all confirmed prior to receiving the eucharist?

As has already been pointed out, Catholics receive their first communion around the age of seven or eight.

Confirmation ranges from 12-14 typically.

One would assume so.

Yes, they received it on Pentecost Sunday.

Any reference in Scripture or ECFs?

My bad. Got my timeline confused.

Don’t we have the witness of the Early Church?

Is it not evident from scripture (which was written later) that the Church was baptizing from the beginning?

In other words, the Church was baptizing for many years before the New Testament was even written. The prominence of baptism in the scriptures is a good indication of how important it was in the life of the early Church, don’t you think?

My bad. Got my timeline confused.

No worries. :slight_smile:

A few thoughts:

“Confirmation”, which completes Christian initiation, is connected with the idea of the personal mission of the recipient in bringing about the Kingdom of God (cf. the Baptism of the Lord, immediately followed by the descent of the Spirit like a dove).

Jesus does call the Twelve to a “mission” prior to the Last Supper and gives them power to do miraculous things, but there is no indication of this being directly related to the descent of the Holy Spirit upon them.

Jesus during the Last Supper, in John’s Gospel, is promising to send them the Holy Spirit…

The risen Jesus “breathes” on them (except Thomas) at the end of John’s Gospel, imparting the power of forgiveness of sins, saying “receive the Holy Spirit.” But this is after the Last Supper and is a private act–could be “Confirmation” but maybe not.

And, obviously, Pentecost is after the Last Supper, and is a public receiving of the Spirit, just as happened to Jesus at His Baptism–so their Confirmation, I would conclude, came after the Last Supper, just as is done now in the Church…and was probably at Pentecost…

DJim

…In the western Church.

The eastern Church baptizes, chrismates, and eucharizes infants.

tee

I was always taught that the descent of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost is the scriptural origin of Confirmation.

1302 It is evident from its celebration that the effect of the sacrament of Confirmation is the full outpouring of the Holy Spirit as once granted to the apostles on the day of Pentecost.

While there is such connection, it is one among several effects of Confirmation.

1303 From this fact, Confirmation brings an increase and deepening of baptismal grace:
[LIST]
*]it roots us more deeply in the divine filiation which makes us cry, “Abba! Father!”;
*]it unites us more firmly to Christ;
*]it increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us;
*]it renders our bond with the Church more perfect;
*]it gives us a special strength of the Holy Spirit to spread and defend the faith by word and action as true witnesses of Christ, to confess the name of Christ boldly, and never to be ashamed of the Cross…[/LIST]

tee

The Holy Spirit enters the person at his new birth…baptism. So they did have the Holy Spirit.

And why can’t people now?

Not sure what you are getting at?

:ehh: How about [FONT=“Palatino Linotype”]John 3:23 And John also was baptizing in Ennon near Salim; because there was much water there; and they came and were baptized. 24 For John was not yet cast into prison. 25 And there arose a question between some of John’s disciples and the Jews concerning purification: 26 And they came to John, and said to him: Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond the Jordan, to whom thou gavest testimony, behold he baptizeth, and all men come to him.

Does that help?[/FONT]

John 3:22 : ‘Jesus and His disciples came into the land of Judea, and there He remained with them and baptized’ - methinks He would’ve baptized the Apostles first of all, no?

Funny how few people seem to be aware of this little nugget of scripture - imagine the joy of being baptised by Jesus Himself! :angel1:

Where’s your Scripture reference showing they did not receive the Holy Spirit?

You are falsely assuming things. But thats to be expected from a person who quotes Jack Van Impe.

You should watch his show sometime. He speaks highly of the RCC. In his videos he quotes ECF and praises the Pope. So not sure why the harsh tone in quoting him. Perhaps his rebirth theology is what it is/was.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.