Did any of the Church Fathers wish the Church to sever ties with the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament)?

I’m under the impression that some of them might have wanted to make a clean break from both Judaism and the Hebrew Bible? What do Church historians know about this matter, and was there a conflict within the Church regarding whether to maintain the OT or separate themselves from its teachings? I’m not talking about Judaism per se but rather about the OT.

I do not think so. I think you might be thinking of Marcion who rejected the OT and a number of the NT books as well. He was declared a heretic for that. In consideration that what Marcion was teaching is heresy (rejecting the OT) then it probably would be safe to say that early church Fathers did not wish to break away the OT. I also think this comes up with St. Jerome when he translated the Bible into Latin. I think he objected to translating the Deuterocannon books but did submit to translate them as part of the cannon of scripture.

There was a discussion between Augustine and Jerome over the Bible, concerning which sources were more valuable: the older Hebrew or the more traditional Greek/Latin.

No I don’t think there was, at least not on any significant scale. The early church fathers saw themselves as Jewish. They saw themselves as fully Jewish for accepting the Messiah. When they wrote the New Testsment, they were not trying to write a new Holy book. They simply were letters and accounts of their experiences. Thee early church used the old Testsment as their only scripture along with the oral tradition of Christ and the Apostles which slowly overtime was written and declared divinely inspired by the church.

Yes, they did, MB.
Let me check my notes and I’ll post again on this.

I do believe there was an entire group of Christians who followed this line of thinking, too.

Stay tuned.

Marcion and his followers;

newadvent.org/cathen/09645c.htm

At first I thought they still followed the laws about clean and unclesn food, circumcision, etc. but later they decided that they didn’t require the followers of Jesus to observe those laws.

At first they preached to the Jews and then the gentiles.
Many of the first followers were jewish. I suppose as they grew in number and became more organized they split from the jewish community more and more.

Don’t know if this answers your question. I am sure someone has a better detailed response.

Right!
The Marcionites!
And Marcion was the first one to start putting together a canon of “Christian” scripture, as I recall.
But many of the writings of Marcion of Sinope have since been destroyed/lost.

But there is another “Church Father”/group that was similar, I think…I’m looking…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.