Did anybody read "Romanism"

I can’t remember the full title and I don’t have the book in front of me but it was basically a reply against Karl Keeting’s book “Catholicism and Fundamentalism”. It was written by Robert Zims.

I was wondering if Karl wrote a response to it (or even bothered, for that matter). It isn’t very well written, or at least sounds very “sensationalist”.

[quote=ComradeAndrei]I can’t remember the full title and I don’t have the book in front of me but it was basically a reply against Karl Keeting’s book “Catholicism and Fundamentalism”. It was written by Robert Zims.

I was wondering if Karl wrote a response to it (or even bothered, for that matter). It isn’t very well written, or at least sounds very “sensationalist”.
[/quote]

I don’t think that I would read anything entitled Romanism. That sounds very, very anti Catholic. I would imagine that it would accuse Catholics of not being Christian. If I am incorrect then please inform me.

Karl Keating’s book was not a diatribe against fundamentalists. It was a defense of Catholicism, so there would be no reason for a fundamentalist to defend himself against it. Keating is actually very fair toward the fundamentalists and does not say that they aren’t Christian.

Wow! Keating’s book must be causing some uproar if others feel that they must have to counter it.

I looked it up on Amazon. The entire title of the book is

Romanism: The Relentless Roman Catholic Assault on the Gospel of Jesus Christ! (Paperback)

[size=2]Um…I think that I will pass on this book. :nope: [/size]

[quote=deb1]I looked it up on Amazon. The entire title of the book is

Romanism: The Relentless Roman Catholic Assault on the Gospel of Jesus Christ! (Paperback)

[size=2]Um…I think that I will pass on this book[/size]. :nope:

[/quote]

Assault on the Gospel of Jesus Christ!
This is more than enough of a description for the book. :stuck_out_tongue:
I’d pass on reading.

Kotton :cool:

Comrade << It was written by Robert Zims. I was wondering if Karl wrote a response to it (or even bothered, for that matter). It isn’t very well written, or at least sounds very “sensationalist”. >>

I have it, and read it. I only read it because I promised Robert Zins I would. I was given the book from him personally. Yeah I’ve met him in person, nice guy, but weird anti-Catholic theology. But he’s a sportsman, can’t be all bad. A lot of hockey up there in Connecticut where he’s from.

Karl doesn’t need to respond, from what I remember the book is kind of disorganized. He does spend some time trying to reabilitate Lorraine Boettner who took a beating in Karl’s original book. I think Zins also has a book just on Boettner. James White’s books (Fatal Flaw, RC Controversy) contain better arguments.

According to a quick search, Robert Zins gets only one mention in This Rock (April 1993 issue). He was working with Bill Jackson at the time, I forgot about that.

Sungenis has debated Zins very successfully, I converted a couple of those to Real Player audio for him.

Phil P

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.