Did baptismal rituals change?

I was reading the Catholic Encyclopedia (newadvent.org) section on baptism, specifically when its an infant being baptized. It said that the priest puts salt in the mouth of the infant because, among other things, it leads that person to grow to relish doing good works. It also stated that the priest blows on the infant’s cheeks to “exorcise the evil spirit,” or something along these lines. My question is: do any Catholic churches still have these rituals of baptism? I don’t recall ever seeing this. And if the Church never does these anymore, why not? Also, if the reasons for these practices could be explained in more detail, such as Scriptural or Traditional warrants/precedents for them, I’d appreciate it.

yes, the new rite of baptism does not include the salt, there is a link on a recent thread to the new rite, do a search, I don’t have access right now. new advent Catholic ency is an old book, almost 100 yrs old, so won’t be accurate on new rites, sacraments, revised canon law etc. Other than the profession of faith, “renouncing satan” there is no exorcism in the rite for infants. the RCIA includes minor exorcisms in the rites of Lent.

[quote=asquared]yes, the new rite of baptism does not include the salt, there is a link on a recent thread to the new rite, do a search, I don’t have access right now. new advent Catholic ency is an old book, almost 100 yrs old, so won’t be accurate on new rites, sacraments, revised canon law etc. Other than the profession of faith, “renouncing satan” there is no exorcism in the rite for infants. the RCIA includes minor exorcisms in the rites of Lent.
[/quote]

There is a prayer of exorcisim, signing with the sign of the cross, and anointing with the Oil of Catechumens in the rite of Baptism for infants.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.