Did Catholics re-write of the 2nd commandment?!

It depends on how they are numbered but I have seen several Catholic websites and study guides that intentionally leave out the statement about NOT bowing down to statues. Why is the first or second commandment (again, depending on the numbering) being re-written? Is it for a reason I do not want to acknowledge?

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them…

Explanation for inquiry: my protestant brother recently asked me about “all the folks who are bowing down to the Mary statue”. He goes on to say, “I understand the veneration view but “you Catholics” sure seem to take it to another level”. Ummm, I agree with him for I too have witnessed the same. He brought to my attention our re-writing of the first/second commandment - As I mentioned above, I did not believe him until I looked it up myself. Without a drawn out rationalization, what’s the story? Could it be that we do, in many circumstances, overdo the "kissing the statues, “bowing down to the statues”, “leaving messages stuck in the statues”, etc.? From my reading of Scripture, we should not continue that practice.

These links should give you the answers that you need. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
**Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]Why is there confusion about the numbering of the Ten Commandments?
*]Did the Catholic Church Change the Ten Commandments?
*]Ten Commandments
*]Why do Catholics & Protestants have different 10 Commandments?
*]%between%Why does the Church allow images when the Ten Commandments forbids them?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.