Did christ leave any literature of his own

Been wondering about this for a while now. I am correct to say that all evidence from the bible writings have all been written by men who say they either had God speak to or through them, or as in the new gospel, men that knew Jesus? Did Jesus leave any writings himself, I wonder why he never? And if he did, would people that don’t believe in him change their views if evidence was found?
Just a thought.:slight_smile:

I doubt they would even if such a thing existed. No, Jesus did not write something.

Supposedly there was a box found on the holy seplechure (Jesus’ tomb) that had a letter inside written in gold ink. It described the exact number of wounds Jesus received and all the details of his passion and it was supposedly written by him. Some church claimed to have it in their possession but I don’t know if it’s true or not

At least one of the Gospels depicts Jesus writing in the sand :stuck_out_tongue:

My guess is that Jesus didn’t leave any of his own literature behind. Think about it for a moment: why write down your own teachings at a time when only a small percentage of the population was literate? Teachings would have spread by word-of-mouth much quicker (which they did). It only made sense to write such teachings down later after they spread quickly by word-of-mouth and became oral tradition.

In his Church History, Eusebius of Ceasarae in Book I, Chapter 13, Section 8, reports a letter to Abgarus by Jesus:

1. “Blessed are you who hast believed in me without having seen me. For it is written concerning me, that they who have seen me will not believe in me, and that they who have not seen me will believe and be saved. But in regard to what you have written me, that I should come to you, it is necessary for me to fulfill all things here for which I have been sent, and after I have fulfilled them thus to be taken up again to him that sent me. But after I have been taken up I will send to you one of my disciples, that he may heal your disease and give life to you and yours.”

newadvent.org/fathers/250101.htm

There is a problem with this account found in John 7-8. It is known as the “periscope adulterae” or the woman taken in adultery.

This story was added to John’s gospel sometime in the 4th century. If appears neither in our earliest bibles, the Codex Sinaiticus (c 325 AD) nor the Codex Vaticanus (c 375 AD)

Quite interesting that he didn’t write anything at all over the course of 30+ years…

Not really surprising if you consider the fact that most people couldn’t read or write and that the culture was primarily oral (relying mainly on word of mouth instead of the written word), as Tous Logous said. Since Jesus hailed from a working peasant family and worked for most of His life, and then spent only a few years of that travelling and preaching and healing, I doubt He would have had any time or need to settle down, get a scribe and start dictating a book. (Formal writing in those days involved that - one didn’t write stuff by oneself, even if one could write).

Exactly and there are many theories about what he wrote but we don’t know for sure.

I actually did research that a bit slightly way back. The earliest reference I could find dates from the 18th century, I believe. Funny thing is this early version never mentioned anything about the Holy Sepulchre at all.

I think we have to take into account how Jesus spoke to people as well. Did he formally write up everything he was going to say on pieces of papyrus or potshards, then proceed to make copies to pass out to everyone? Or did he speak to large crowds of people, which probably consisted of (largely) illiterate individuals? Was the best way to initially reach a population with his message through writing or verbal language?

I’m sure Jesus would have no issue with spreading his message via writing in today’s world, assuming he has access to a computer and the internet. At least, this is in regards to people who have lots of money and can afford such things. Most people don’t like to realize it but there is still a large population in the world who can’t read/write and probably never get a full education. But such populations may also have a strong oral tradition where they usually may not have a strong written tradition. It all depends on the era and culture one is raised in. Jesus was obviously, a great public speaker. I’m sure he probably did write things down, but I’m sure he emphasized the “spoken” over the “written.”

Interesting :slight_smile:

Yes and no.

No as regards any claims by Jesus to be the Son of God, the Messiah, because someone who doesn’t have faith would reasonably find that suspect, given that it involves claims someone is making about himself.

Yes in terms of settling the question “did Jesus really say that?” and “is that what Jesus really believed?”

That may not be everything – in that it does not settle the Jesus is Lord issue – but it would still be huge in helping to resolve disputes regarding what Jesus said or didn’t say, what he believed or didn’t believe.

Another thing to remember is that reading and writing are really separate skills, although we often learn them nowadays as a set. Especially in antiquity, being able to read does not always guarantee that one is able to write.

I actually wrote quite a bit on that one recently:

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10862104&postcount=40
forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10862104&postcount=41
forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10862104&postcount=44
forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10862104&postcount=46
forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10862104&postcount=47
forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10862104&postcount=48
forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10862104&postcount=49
forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10862104&postcount=50
forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10862104&postcount=51

Well he did write something on the ground :slight_smile: We just don’t know what that was.

credobiblestudy.com/roman/en/catholic-bible-douay-rheims-nt-book-john-jn-chapter-8/50/8/6,8

Correct.
It was added later.

From what I understand, Jesus was most likely illiterate…as were many of his apostles?

Yet Jerome translated it from existing Greek manuscripts during his time.

And it was also in the Vetus Latina of his time.

Not according to Scripture.
Luke 4:16-20 And he (Jesus) came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up; and he went to the synagogue, as his custom was, on the sabbath day. And he stood up** to read**; and there was given to him the book of the prophet Isaiah.** He opened the book and found the place where it was written,** “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.” And he closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant, and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.