Did Christ rise on Sunday?

This site seems pretty convincing. What are your thoughts?

realtruth.org/articles/115-ttmol.html?gclid=CKD4r4Cr74wCFR1Phgod52i19w

Total bulldust.

According to this guy Jesus only spent ONE day in the tomb??? (Two if you’re generous).

How does that make any sense in relation to Jonah’s sign? And rose on a Saturday? Whereas Paul makes clear that the ‘Lord’s Day’ is celebrated on the FIRST day of the week? Why would that be if Sunday wasn’t the day he rose? They’d have kept the Lord’s Day on Saturday!

Sorry - I wanted to add and edit but ran out of time.

This article tries to say that Mary and the women actually bought the spices for the tomb on Friday but for some mysterious reason didn’t go to the tomb on Friday, even though they could have and probably wanted to go as soon as possible? Wrong. At least wrong if they had the whole day free to do so (since it wasn’t Sabbath) - but if Jesus died late in the afternoon ON FRIDAY and THEN they got the spices it makes sense that they’d’ve run out of time to prepare the body that day.

And the article suggests that a day has to be 24 hours? Balderdash - even today we don’t always use ‘tomorrow’ to mean ‘exactly 24 hours from now’. The Jews didn’t either. And Jesus rose at 3pm Saturday and hung around doing nothing until Sunday morning when he appeared to Mary and the rest? Why?

Read Acts 20 and I Corinthians chapter 16 - the breakings of bread and other Christian ceremonies that are mentioned all occur on Sundays. Clearly the Apostles considered that as the day of significance. If Christ had risen on Saturday it wouldn’t be so.

Hi
I like the quote in your signatures.
"Science can purify religion from error and superstition and Religion can purify science from idolotry and false absolutes.

Pope John Paul II "
Thanks

There is a lot of confusion on the day they say “Jesus rose”.Different Christian denominations have different time schedule for Jesus when he was put on Cross, when he was delivered from Cross, when he was laid in the tomb, when he “rose” and when he “ascended”, this is so because they want to help Jesus fullfill " Sign of Jonah" but they cannot reconcile the details of the event.
They all have misconceptions, sorry to state. The reality is different.
Thanks

There is a lot of confusion on the day they say “Jesus rose”.Different Christian denominations have different time schedule for Jesus when he was put on Cross, when he was delivered from Cross, when he was laid in the tomb, when he “rose” and when he “ascended”, this is so because they want to help Jesus fullfill " Sign of Jonah" but they cannot reconcile the details of the event. They even don’t agree on the day.
They all have misconceptions, sorry to state. The reality is different.
Thanks

Rubbish - the Seventh Day Adventists (this article appears to be an example of their work) are pretty much the only ones that disagree with the standard mainstream Christians on this issue.

98% of the Christian world is agreed that he died on the Friday afternoon 3 o’clock and rose on or about sunrise on the Sunday (and whether it was very shortly before or at sunrise or slightly afterwards really is a totally insignificant detail - a matter of a very small difference of time - wouldn’t even get the story doubted in a court of law).

hello there

i see you SDA bashing and ranting is still flourishing! keep up the good work :thumbsup:

the main article was posted by the “restored church of god”, not the SDA, but anyway, I guess you just need you usual suspects, if something doesnt fit just blame it on the sabbatarians, the mormons, the muslims… if i were you i`d try to cheer up a bit :smiley:

byebye and shabbat shalom!

O.K. I pretty much got the answer that I was looking for. Just a few last things I wish to know though.
[LIST=1]
*]What isJonah’s sign?!
*]There is noo historical evidence that anyone before the reformation challenged the idea of Christ rising on Sunday, right?
*]The first day of the week for us was the the first day of the week for the Jews bach then too?
[/LIST]

I’m not bashing the SDA, simply pointing out a few errors in the logic of assuming that the Saturday Sabbath was intended to be retained.

“On the third day…”

1. Good Friday (Crucifixion)
  2. Holy Saturday (Sadness)
  3. Easter Sunday (Resurrection)

Yeah!!!

Hi
There are Christians who believe otherwise with a lot of reasons:
Jesus crucified on Wednesday, not Friday
gnmagazine.org/issues/gn63/jesus_crucifixion.htm

Centuries-Old Documents Show Evidence for a Wednesday Crucifixion
by Mario Seiglie
gnmagazine.org/issues/gn63/jesus.htm

Jesus Wasn’t Crucified on Friday—or Resurrected on Sunday! :By Scott Ashley
Thanks

The problem I think with some of my Christian friends is that they don’t let God speak for himself. If they would have done it they would find a straight passage from the OTBible on every important issue, if Bible is a living book that answers every rational question. When they don’t get support from the Bible, they think they are wiser than God, so they try putting words into God’s mouth first for the Claim and then for the Reason which is usually not found there. One is left wondering if the Christian God is living and All-Wise.

The way I understood this from a priest’s explanation was that in Judaism, any part of a day was counted, even the earliest hours. So Jesus spent late Friday in the Tomb (day 1), Saturday (day 2), and the very earliest house of Sunday (day 3) before Resurrection. Has anyone else heard this explanation before?

Mat 12:39 Who answering said to them: An evil and adulterous generation seeketh a sign: and a sign shall not be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet.
Mat 12:40 For as Jonas was in the whale’s belly three days and three nights: so shall the Son of man be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights.

Why isn’t anyone asking about the 3 nights Jesus (pbuh) was supposed to be in the heart of the earth?

How do you reconcile this with his alleged resurrection in the early hours on Sunday?

excellent question. thats why it seems to be impossible that Jesus was crucified on Friday.

Read Genesis 1 - ‘THEN came evening and morning, and the next day’. Shows you a bit about how time was counted.

Thursday evening/Friday morning - ONE DAY during which Christ was crucified (since part of a day counts as ‘a day’, and did to the Jews too) Friday evening/Saturday morning was the second, Saturday evening/Sunday morning the third during which He rose again.

Them’s your nights and days.

Huh???.. When does “Thursday evening/Friday morning” come into the equation??

Read Genesis Chapter 1 - night comes FIRST, then day. That’s how time is reckoned in the Bible!

So Thursday night and Friday daytime are ONE day. That’s WHY the Sabbath begins at sunset on Friday for Jews - Friday night is part of the same Sabbath ‘day’ (24 hours period) as Saturday daytime.

Is that clear now?

98% of the Christian world is agreed that he died on the Friday afternoon 3 o’clock…

… so shall the Son of man be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights.

If this alleged resurrection did take place on Sunday morning, then even in a million years of trying to understand, I still will not be able to comprehend how the above two statements can agree with one another.

Always remember that God is not the author of confusion.

This still doesnt make Jesus being dead for three nights!

Apart from that didnt Jesus say that a day has 12 hours? So why are you counting only parts of a day?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.