Did Christianity come from ancient paganism?

Hi there. I’m pretty new here. Nice forum.

Anyway, I was reading awhile ago that Christianity came from ancient pagan beliefs - something that is keeping me from coming to Christianity. I thought that to be actually true!

What do you say about that?

On the other hand, I bought The Passion a few days ago and there’s something about it that makes me curious about Jesus Christ. Something that is making me wonder, could it be possible?

Am I missing something?

Because if it’s true that it came from paganism, why should I join?

That’s the last thing I wanna do…think that I found the “correct” religion then find out that it really did come from paganism.

Anyone want to explain to me why it’s not pagan?

Actually, ancient paganism came from even more ancient Christianity. And I’m not being flippant, but entirely serious.

If I’m reading it correctly what you wrote, you’re basically saying…yes?

No. Christianity did not come from paganism.

Christianity came directly from Judaism. Judaism goes back ti Abraham, about 1700 BC.

Jesus and all the apostles were Jews. Nearly all the first Christians were Jews. During the early persecutions, it began to be taught to non-Jews and ultimately spread throughout the Roman Empire, despite several series of harsh persecution, withing 50 years of Christ’s death.

There are many who would like to claim that Christianity gets many of it’s traditions from pagan worship, but that would not be entirely accurate.

Rather it would be more accurate that former pagans who converted to Christianity brought none of their religious beliefs, but did bring some of the cultural practices. As long as those cultural practices are not offensive to God or in violations of His commandments, then there is no problem.

Well, then why do the Jews say that believing in the man Jesus is idolatry, since they believe that God can’t become man (can’t remember where it says that in the Torah)? If God can’t become man or man become God and you Christians READ the Old Testament (or, Torah), why do you believe in Jesus then?

Where does it say that God can’t become man in the Torah?

Surely this fact has to be substantiated by evidence before your question can take any serious meaning.

In Christ,

JD

In keeping with the best spirit of St. Thomas Aquinas, I’ll present the opposition’s arguments FOR him:

Nu 23:19 God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should repent. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfil it?

1Sa 15:29 And also the Glory of Israel will not lie or repent; for he is not a man, that he should repent."

Both these statments are obviously intended to show that God doesn’t lie like men are wont to do.

No. Idolatry is the worship of images. The belief than an image is of superior spiritual value or contains the essence of a deity.

Jew do not believe that Jesus Christ was the Messiah, as promised and foretold by Old Testament prophets.

Jews never believed that God could not become man.

Also, the Catholic Old Testament is the Septuagint, not the Torah. The Torah generally refers to the first 5 books of the Old Testament, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy.

Hello and welcome to the Catholic answers forum. You have asked a common question and also a misunderstanding in regards to Christianity-especially Catholism. Many of the questions you may have, including this one, can be answered by visiting the library. Heres a link that relates directly towards your question.

catholic.com/library/Is_Catholicism_Pagan.asp

Nope. What I said what is that actually, rather than Christianity coming from ancient paganism, ancient paganism came from even more ancient Christianity - the belief in and desire for the one true God. I’m saying that you’ve got it exactly backwards.

Jewish tradition foretold the coming of someone known as the “Messiah”. In Roman times, most Jews assumed that the Messiah would be a political leader, who would lead a revolt to restore a homeland to the Jews and spread Judaism. Christians, on the other hand, believe that Jesus was the Messiah, but that he was a spiritual leader, who came to save everyone and unite them not in an earthly kingdom, but in the heavenly kingdom. During the time of the Apostles, many Jews did indeed believe the prophecy was fulfilled, and evolved into Christians. Modern Jews are the remnants of those that didn’t convert from Roman times, and do not believe the prophecy has yet been fulfilled.

IF YOU WANT TO BASE YOUR MERIT ON FACTS AND TANGIBLE EVIDENCE,THEN THE ANSWER IS YES…RIGHT FROM THE VERY BEGINING OF THE BIBLE, PAGAN STORIES ARE PAINFULLY OBVIOUS…THE 10 COMMANDMENTS CAN BE FOUND IN THE EGYPTIAN BOOK OF THE DEAD SPELL 125…AND OF COURSE NOAH AND HIS ARK…THE SAME STORY WITH CHANGES HERE AND THERE,BUT THE SUMERIAN VERSION OF GILGAMESH EASILY PREDATES ANY CHRISTIAN TEXTS…TO SAY THE EMPIRES OF SUMERIA, AND EGYPT WHO HAD ALREADY ADVANCED CIVILIZATIONS, (ESPECIALLY THE EGYPTIANS ) IN NOT ONLY LANGUAGE AND RECORD KEEPING,BUT SCIENCE,MATHMATICS, STELLAR MAPPING…WOULD NEED TO BORROW IDEAS FROM ILLITERATE GOAT HERDERS HOLDS ZERO WATER…AND OFCOURSE THE FACTUAL EVIDENCES…NOT TO MENTION THE OLD TESTAMENT SHOWS IN ITS OWN TEXTS THAT IS WAS WRITTEN SEVERAL HUNDRED YEARS AFTER ITS CLAIMED

To establish this in proof, it is necessary to refer from Genesis to chapter xviii. of the book called the Book of judges. It is there said (ver. 27) that “they (the Danites) came unto Laish to a people that were quiet and secure, and they smote them with the edge of the sword [the Bible is filled with murder] and burned the city with fire; and they built a city, (ver. 28,) and dwelt therein, and [ver. 29,] they called the name of the city Dan, after the name of Dan, their father; howbeit the name of the city was Laish at the first.”

This account of the Danites taking possession of Laish and changing it to Dan, is placed in the book of Judges immediately after the death of Samson. The death of Samson is said to have happened B.C. 1120 and that of Moses B.C. 1451; and, therefore, according to the historical arrangement, the place was not called Dan till 331 years after the death of Moses.
…t. paine

PLEASE DONT BELIEVE ME, RESEARCH IT FOR YOURSELF

Okay. No problem.

I don’t get what you are saying. Who says that Moses was the author of Judges?

This thread is about the copy cat thesis. What we know is paganism copied from Christianity after Christianity existed.
Second, historians see the copycat thesis as a joke, not serious scholarship. If there were anything similar in paganism, that is because Satan was copying what he knew to be true to lead others astray into paganism. There is also the possiblity of general revealtion in mankind that may be reflected here and there in paganism. Christianity is based on special revelation like that of Judaism. And, Special Revelation trumps general revelation anyday.

This is what I was getting at in my (deliberately provocative) statement that it is ancient paganism that comes from even more ancient Christianity. If we are truly made to seek God (as we Christians believe), then that inate drive and desire will evidence itself in all sorts of religious expressions which, though they are off the mark, are not entirely off the mark. One will still be able to discover similarities between the false pagan religions and the true Christian religion, because they both involve humankind seeking out God. The difference, as was pointed out, is that in Christianity alone has God given the fullness of his revelation to us, and in that sense, in Christianity alone does one find truth without error.

Cripe, you don’t have to yell!

PLEASE DONT BELIEVE ME, RESEARCH IT FOR YOURSELF

Then why the heck even post what you just said?:confused:

So why do Christians believe that Jesus was God/is God when it says God is not man? Or do you guys totally ignore the Old Testament/Torah and go by the New Testament instead?

But don’t you Christians have the Old Testament included in your Bible? Obviously you do and since you do, why do you ignore what it says? This is what I don’t get.

Hey Chez: I think this link will give you most of what you are looking for. It is not a Catholic site (I am a Catholic) but it is very good, JP Holding knows his stuff.

tektonics.org/copycat/copycathub.html

you can get info on all the so-called copycats- attis, mithras, osiras, etc.

Oh and also, some of the big ones that seem very close like Mithras worship actually came after Christianity (Mithras didn’t become big until well into the 3rd century) and borrow from Christianity, not vice versa.

The point of those statements is that God does not lie, we should interpret a text based on what the author meant it to say, not how we could accidentally read it. Plus, at that time, God had not yet became man so the inspired author could not think, “hey, I better not use that illustration! because of Jesus!”

BTW, Christians do not believe that the Bible was dictated by God, like Muslims believe the Koran was. We believe it was inspired. That means, human beings wrote it but their intellects were helped along the way with the help of God’s spirit. So we are supposed to take care in how we interpret each verse.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.