Did Church ever allow same-sex marriages? I find it hard to believe

I keep seeing posts from my Facebook friends claiming that the Church used to perform same-sex marriages. I cannot possibly believe this was the case – given St. Paul’s clear teaching on homosexuality.

Has anyone else come across this sort of story? And if so, how do you answer these claims?

Here’s a typical example. pinknews.co.uk/2013/07/30/christian-church-performed-same-sex-marriages-almost-2000-years-ago/

No never. The Bible indicates that there are four sins that ‘cry to heaven for vengeance’… sodomy being the second of those. The Church has recognised the grave scourge of homosexual behaviours to the community and within the Priesthood even, from it’s earliest times. Polycarp, the Bishop of Smyrna in the first century wrote to the Phillipians in regards to serious sin especially the temptations of men… ‘the younger men must be blameless in all things, caring of purity before everything and curbing themselves from every evil…whether whoremongers nor effeminate persons nor defilers of themselves with men and boys shall inherit the Kingdom of God.’

It’s interesting to read about the Churchs history of battling against the sins of homosexual behaviour, paedophilia and pederasty. These sins have been trying to bring down the Churchs authoritive teachings since the beginning of Christianty.

You need to do more research. The article is intentionally misleading. Similar stories have been posted here before and debunked.

No.

You are correct, it is not true.

Those with an agenda will try to support it no matter how ridiculous. Same with those who find imaginary support for abortion, contraception, and whatever other sin they want to commit in the bible or in some pseudo-historical interpretation of events.

Yes, the internet makes it easy to print fairy tales as if they were actual news.

I keep coming across this supposed “factoid” as well, although I can’t come up with a mainstream source for it.

A same sex marriage between the two men Pedro Díaz and Muño Vandilaz in the Galician municipality of Rairiz de Veiga in Spain occurred on 16 April 1061. They were married by a priest at a small chapel. The historic documents about the church wedding were found at Monastery of San Salvador de Celanova.

The source of this one is a Lutheran church.

woodburylutheran.org/files/3813/3892/3703/FAMILYISSUES2hndt.pdf

Sources outside of, and opposed to the Catholic Church, claim she performed same-sex unions. Hmmmm…

Here is an article that will teach the principles behind all lies and deceit that appear on this earth: courageouspriest.com/tactics-devil?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+courageouspriest%2FqTKF+%28Courageous+Priest%29

So, in the future, will people look back at some of the headlines of today and claim that the Church ordained women? There are “historic documents” about a female pope too. They are fake.

Thanks for that link. It is very enlightening.

Yes. That makes sense. And even if a rogue priest performed such a ceremony, it would not reflect the Church’s teaching.

We can be so confident with the Bible teachings on this subject. Some modern day issues aren’t addressed by the Bible specifically but the issue of homosexual behaviour is directly forbidden and condemned. It’s one of the black and white ones.

1 Cor 6 9-11 “Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.”

Thank you for that information.

Gay Marriage: Reimagining Church History

In the Case of John Boswell

Church History and Same-Sex Marriage

Failed Attempt to Rewrite History

Procrustean marriage beds.

Boswell Reviews

Was Same-Sex “Marriage” a Christian Rite?

Thank you so much for all these links.

Definitely not. The Catholic Church in the early years followed a lot of the Jewish Law and homosexuality is considered in the Jewish Religion as abhorrent so it would have followed the Jewish path as it does to this day but with more of a Christian approach than the Jewish one, love the sinner not the sin sort of thing.

Thanks to your responses, I was able to formulate an answer to the Facebook friends who have been spreading misinformation. Thank you again.

You notice how, 1,000 years ago, they took care to record the names, the exact date and location of this “wedding”? I’m surprised that they haven’t uploaded digital images taken of the event. :rolleyes:

:rotfl:

If the truth is on their side, why don’t they simply tell it, instead of fabricating things?

I totally agree. In the interest of honesty, people who favor same-sex unions can’t go dredging through the Bible or the Judeo-Christian tradition to justify this new definition of marriage. They need another strategy. In any case, I was able to post a very civilized response to my Facebook friend regarding the original story. So I appreciate all I learned here today.

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.