Did David ever punish Anmon?

In he bible, King David had a few children. One of his sons, Anmon, raped his half-sister (David’s daughter) Tamar. I know that Absalom killed Anmon later on, but before that did David do anything to punish Anmon? If so, what? If not, why not?

II Samuel 13 does not record any action by David against his son, Amnon. Of course Amon’s crime carried it’s own punishment. The beginning of the fulfillment of Nathan’s prophecy against the house of David.

Hi Hrv,

Read further down v.21 :

When David heard this, he was much irritated, but he did not want to pain his son Amnon whom he loved, for he was his first-born.

David let his feelings get in the way of his duty.

Verbum

which version is this? i read my bible it has no mention of David’s reason of not punishing Amnon :eek:

I just see where David was upset. Maybe he withheld action against Amnon because of his own recent transgression with Bathsheba and the murder of Uriah the Hittite. Maybe he felt less than worthy as a judge.

Ski

So basically, David let Anmon get away with raping his half-sister Tamar (unless you count Anmon getting killed later on). Didn’t even put him under house arrest?

He’s not a very good father.

On the subject, what would the standard punishment for rape/incest have been in Israel during this period?

which version is this? i read my bible it has no mention of David’s reason of not punishing Amnon

It’s my translation of the La Bible de Jérusalem . Here’s the official English version :

21 When King David heard the whole story, he was very angry; but he had no wish to harm his son Amnon, whom he loved because he was his first-born.

Verbum

Note the punishment God decreed for David:

Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you out of the hand of Saul; 8 and I gave you your master’s house, and your master’s wives into your bosom, and gave you the house of Israel and of Judah; and if this were too little, I would add to you as much more. 9 Why have you despised the word of the LORD, to do what is evil in his sight? You have smitten Uriah the Hittite with the sword, and have taken his wife to be your wife, and have slain him with the sword of the Ammonites. 10 Now therefore the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised me, and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.’ 11 Thus says the LORD, ‘Behold, I will raise up evil against you out of your own house; and I will take your wives before your eyes, and give them to your neighbor, and he shall lie with your wives in the sight of this sun. 12 For you did it secretly; but I will do this thing before all Israel, and before the sun.’"

2 Samuel 12:7-12

Did some looking around.

“But when king David heard of all these things, he was very wroth.”

The Septuagint and Vulgate add, () `But he would not grieve the soul of Amnon his son, for he loved him because he was his first-born.’ The same addition is found in Josephus’ and it is probable that it once formed a part of the Hebrew text.
It’s also in the Douay-Rheims version. Omitted in most other translations.

Ski

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.