Did God create evil? Proverbs 16:4

My Muslim friend insists God created evil based on the following verse:

“The Lord has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble.” - Proverbs 16:4

Please help me better understand the verse so to better answer him. I shared with him what I thought the verse might mean:

Proverbs 16:4…correction? and clarification of a previous post. God created Humans and Spirits (Satan included) as good. Both were endowed with freewill to choose love (God). In the case of humans, those choosing to reject God’s grace, choose evil (the absence of God), and break friendship with God with possibility of doing so for all eternity. Angels made a onetime decision for all eternity with no hope of turning back. The wicked are those who choose and receive eternal separation from God. My understanding.

God created Angels and Humans with free will. The Catholic view is that the devil chose evil, through pride…wanting to place himself above or equal to the creator. Similarly, Eve choose to eat of the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil…attempting to have for herself (and Adam) that which is God’s perogative alone…the ability to discern good and evil. So the answer is God, in his infinite love, created beings that were free to choose sin (separation from the will of God) over Love.

In this choosing the beauty of creation (that which is Good) is amplified. Look at God as an artist that uses dark to accentuate the light, low notes to accentuate the high notes. In God’s grand plan he permits evil to occur as a function of his eternal plan of Love.

Thank you for sharing… so what I said was in line with the context of scripture and your understanding?

I just mentioned to my friend:

The label wicked is assigned to the person who has freely chosen evil behaviors, behaviors not predetermined by the sovereign will of God. We were made good.

How does that sound? Is there a better way to say it?

'Nothing happens in the the universe without God willing and allowing it. This statement must he taken absolutely of everything with the exception of sin. ‘Nothing occurs by chance in the whole course of our lives’ is the unanimous teaching of the Fathers and Doctors of the Church, ‘and God intervenes everywhere.’

Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence

C.f. for an explanation of the verse.

An angel, once fallen, has no chance for reconciliation with God. Their sin (separation) is eternal. As humans we have to possibility to repent and turn from sin prior to death. It is a great honor to be a human being with such a possibility.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.