Did God ever order polygamy?

ok, need help. I have a facebook friend who claims to be a Christian yet is for same sex marriage and claims that God was totally fine with polygamy in the OT and even in the early church, and his claim is God ordered some polygamy. I am not familiar with any of those claims so did God ever command such acts?

Probably safer just to get you a new friend?

Just give them the line “I’d like to help you out, but I don’t know how you got in.”

The only marital indiscretion I can think of is when he gave Abraham the okay to sleep with the helper girl to conceive a child. Beyond that he’s been pretty clear on the rules about sexuality. Since your friend made the claim it falls to him to support it and point out the verse. Just ask him to cite the specific verse(s) he’s talking about so you can do some research.

If he can’t and doesn’t change his stance, or if he refuses, then he’s not actually interested in Truth, and is merely looking for a pulpit form which to spout his nonsense. If that’s the case, just ignore him on Facebook, or take the time to do some evangelizing, even if it may fall on deaf ears.

God Bless, good luck.

God tolerated polygamy in the OT, but never ordered it. We even hear Jesus say that God allowed it because of the hardness of their hearts, meaning He knew they would be hesitant to stop, especially when so many people promoted it, but certainly isn't God's design for humanity.

God designed us one man, one woman. Not two or three, and certainly not one man and one man, or one woman and one woman (or two men and two women). There is a natural order and complimentary system to having only one man and one woman, not to mention the societal benefits of having it as such within a marriage. Traditional marriage is natural for humans, why else would the concept be present across cultures and faiths? It's not a social norm that people decided on back in the day. It is a natural construct put together by God, and there is no changing that. Especially for a true Christian.

[quote="ProdglArchitect, post:3, topic:330359"]
The only marital indiscretion I can think of is when he gave Abraham the okay to sleep with the helper girl to conceive a child. Beyond that he's been pretty clear on the rules about sexuality. Since your friend made the claim it falls to him to support it and point out the verse. Just ask him to cite the specific verse(s) he's talking about so you can do some research.

If he can't and doesn't change his stance, or if he refuses, then he's not actually interested in Truth, and is merely looking for a pulpit form which to spout his nonsense. If that's the case, just ignore him on Facebook, or take the time to do some evangelizing, even if it may fall on deaf ears.

God Bless, good luck.

[/quote]

I always saw the example with Abraham as an example of man being impatient with God and taking things into their own hands with less than desirable consequences. I never got the idea that God "gave...the okay"

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.