Did God Make A Mistake?

A Study On God’s Covenants

**Exo 34:27 **And the LORD said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.
**Exo 34:28 **And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments

Where in the Bible are we specifically told that there is a time limit on God’s covenant with His people? What is His “covenant” with us today?

I wanted to start this study on covenants to look at this subject more and see if it is true that God made some kind of mistake with His first covenant. Did he make the second covenant, because His first one was a mistake? What is the “second” covenant? How do we know?

If there is already a thread on this subject; I apologize, but this will be handy for me to have this one as I will know where to go for answers from the Catholic perspective. Perhaps, as we proceed here, links can be placed to other threads here on this topic?

Thanks!

He can never make a mistake:) by his nature.

:amen:

God’s covenant with us today is salvation through Jesus Christ. Jesus is also the fulfillment of all prior covenants.

On "Blood of the NEW Covenant"
Mark 14:24, Matt. 26:28, Heb. 12:24, 1Cor. 11:25 - to name a few places.

I’m currently reading “A Father Who Keeps His Promises” by Scott Hahn. This is a great book, easy to read (so far) and concentrates entirely on “God’s covenant love in scripture”.

I haven’t got to the “new covenant” part yet to see how/if the old covenants are affected, but the rest of the book is awesome.

How does the Title relate to the OPs post?

Scott Hahn has more ideas about covenants than anyone. I cant recall the title of the book now, but try looking him up and you will have more than you need to know or ever wanted to know on the topic. And, as a former protestant- he uses copius bible back up.:wink:

Uhh…the book is about God’s covenants with mankind. Covenants include promises. The OP is asking about covenants. ???

What is the meaning of the title?

Clearly confused!:confused:

I read the title and then I read the post. The two don’t seem related. Am I missing something?

I got the impression it implied that the covenant with the Jews ended and therefore since it was a promise, did God make a mistake?

But, we believe that God’s promise is still valid so I dont get the point of it either and I could be wrong in my guess as to where the OP is driving at.:shrug:

I’d guess that the OP sees God sitting at his desk, looking at humankind after the first covenant. “Well, plan A didn’t work, better go to plan B.”

Or something like that :slight_smile:

Originally Posted by cool
He can never make a mistake by his nature.

AMEN :thumbsup:

God made a Covenant with Israel.

Parallel: A man makes a Covenant with a woman in marriage.

When does the Covenant end between the man and woman? When one of the partners dies.

When did the Covenant between God and Israel end? When one of the partners died - that being God, in the Man Jesus.

Not Worthy wrote:

God made a Covenant with Israel.

Parallel: A man makes a Covenant with a woman in marriage.

When does the Covenant end between the man and woman? When one of the partners dies.

When did the Covenant between God and Israel end? When one of the partners died - that being God, in the Man Jesus.

Amen

:confused:

Why would you say Amen to that? Are you a Catholic?

The Covenant with Israel was not abandoned, it matured into the New Covenant. The acorn of the Old became the oak tree of the New.

Peace and God bless!

Hellisreal

Quote:Originally Posted by Sixtus
Not Worthy wrote:

Amen

If you do not know, then neither shall I tell you :stuck_out_tongue:

Hellisreal

Quote:Originally Posted by Sixtus
Not Worthy wrote:

Amen

My dear Hellisreal,

My signature may give a clue. :slight_smile:

I know, that is why I am confused. Did you read Ghosty’s post? Do you have a ccc? Do you realize you are agreeing to something contrary to what the Church teaches?:confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.