Did I Break the 1 Hour Fast Before Mass?

I have been sick the past few days with a terrible cough and runny nose (sorry about the gross details). I brought some cough drops with me to Mass but was trying not to use them because I wasn’t sure if that was considered eating and didn’t want to break the one hour fast prior to receiving the Lord. Needless to say, after the second reading, the coughing began and I had to take a cough drop. I ended up going to Communion also. Was that wrong? Should I have abstained from the Eucharist because I consumed that cough drop within an hour of receiving our Lord? I hope I’m not being to scrupulous. I just want to do the right thing! God bless you and thanks for your help!

You did not break the Sunday fast. The Code of Canon Law says the following:

Can. 919 §1 Whoever is to receive the blessed Eucharist is to abstain for at least one hour before holy communion from all food and drink, with the sole exception of water and medicine.

§3 The elderly and those who are suffering from some illness, as well as those who care for them, may receive the blessed Eucharist even if within the preceding hour they have consumed something.

God bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.