Did I commit a terrible sin?

I was having a discussion after class with my professor and I was telling him what a terrible week I’ve had family wise. I said that my brother was diagnosed with cancer a couple minutes before taking my exam. That part was true, but not fully. I said like 5 minutes before the exam, but he was going to the ER / hospital to get checked out for something serious asI was taking the exam. It turned out that he did in fact have cancer.

I feel terrible for trying to give myself some pity so maybe it would help my grade. But maybe I brought it up because I had no one to really talk my brothers condition with, but in a way I hoped that he would grade my assignments with more compassion, but at the same time I hoped it wouldn’t.

The part that scares me about my brother’s cancer the most is that I feel nothing, even after finding out about it. It’s an awful feeling. I just don’t want to offend God and I feel awful for doing it, but at the same time I hope he didn’t think that I was looking for a grade boost.

I am just an awful person.

Do you know the 10 Commandments? If so, you committed a mortal sin and should go to Confession for “bearing false witness against thy neighbor”. If you really weren’t aware it was a mortal sin it’s a venial sin, but I’d still go to Confession.

I know I lied and need to go to confession, but I was wondering if my lie’s circumstance amplified the sin.

Proverbs 12:22

Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are his delight.

You should never lie, even if it will cause you to die. Cheating is the same as lying, i am still in high school and i remember many times the teacher gives me a false grade by wrong, i get like 5 extra points, i take my exam and tell him to fix it. Even if there’s no teacher in the class while testing, you should not even try to cheat or look at someone’s paper, god is always watching you, remember.

You will need to talk with your confessor about it. We cannot tell you the severity of anyone’s sins :thumbsup:

Regarding not feeling anything about your brother’s circumstances… Feelings don’t always comply with our circumstances. Love your brother with your actions, and let your feelings do what they will. There may come a time when your feelings overwhelm you with worry and/or sadness; or you may feel irritable and angry; or you may just feel nothing. Just keep loving in actions.

God bless you!

Gertie

IMHO
terrible? nah
tacky? oh yeh :wink:

I agree. Good call.

That is NOT what bearing false witness means. Bearing false witness is akin to being in court and testifying under oath about a defendant something that isn’t true and could have the effect of him being wrongly convicted and sentenced to punishment. Think about the false witness of those Jews against Jesus that resulted in His punishment.

:thumbsup:

**We are all sinners, “awful persons.” But there is forgiveness. “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).

If you would like to show love for your brother, try this: Share with him some important information that might help him, which I posted in another thread here:

forums.catholic.com/showthrea…1#post12107301

It could save his life.**

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.