Did I commit sacrilege?

There was a mortal sin I committed in which I tried to convert my friend to other religion (when I wasn't Catholic myself), and when I confessed I said "I led others into grave sin" or something like that. Is the whole confession invalid because of the mistake I did of grossly generalizing sin? Do I need to re-confess all the sins over again or was it still valid? :(

[quote="HouseUponRock, post:1, topic:314437"]
There was a mortal sin I committed in which I tried to convert my friend to other religion (when I wasn't Catholic myself), and when I confessed I said "I led others into grave sin" or something like that. Is the whole confession invalid because of the mistake I did of grossly generalizing sin? Do I need to re-confess all the sins over again or was it still valid? :(

[/quote]

My first question would be, were you ever a Catholic before you tried to convert your friend to another religion? I was raised Prot. and can, and did, convert people as a Prot. Of course I didn't convert them to the Catholic Church, why would I? I wasn't Catholic myself. What I did, under those circumstances was not a sin because I was converting them to Jesus, the best I knew how.

If I tried to convert someone to a non-denominational church now, for example, now that I am a Catholic, then yes, it would be a mortal sin. But then again, why would I do that, now that I know the Truth.

If you confessed to the best of your ability, then, no, I wouldn't think the confession is invalid. Just mention it the next time you go. Tell the priest what you meant by "led others into grave sin", and the circumstances of the leading. Remember, God never holds you responsible for what you don't know. (That's not permission to never know anything so you aren't held responsible for anything, of course!;))

Also, if you were baptized when you became a Catholic, then everything you ever did prior to your baptism was washed away. So if the incident happened before baptism, then it never even needed to be confessed at all. It was washed away with the waters of baptism.
Kris

I think I will re-confess, the risk is way too high. Also, what about confessions where I confessed that I left Catholic Church and joined a heretical church but left out details like going to invalid confessions to Catholic Church to please my grandpa? Would that render my entire confession invalid?

[quote="klm120861, post:2, topic:314437"]
My first question would be, were you ever a Catholic before you tried to convert your friend to another religion? I was raised Prot. and can, and did, convert people as a Prot. Of course I didn't convert them to the Catholic Church, why would I? I wasn't Catholic myself. What I did, under those circumstances was not a sin because I was converting them to Jesus, the best I knew how.

If I tried to convert someone to a non-denominational church now, for example, now that I am a Catholic, then yes, it would be a mortal sin. But then again, why would I do that, now that I know the Truth.

If you confessed to the best of your ability, then, no, I wouldn't think the confession is invalid. Just mention it the next time you go. Tell the priest what you meant by "led others into grave sin", and the circumstances of the leading. Remember, God never holds you responsible for what you don't know. (That's not permission to never know anything so you aren't held responsible for anything, of course!;))

Also, if you were baptized when you became a Catholic, then everything you ever did prior to your baptism was washed away. So if the incident happened before baptism, then it never even needed to be confessed at all. It was washed away with the waters of baptism.
Kris

[/quote]

I was raised Catholic but became a heretic. I received infant baptism. It was when I was heretic that I tried to convert my friend from Catholicism to the heretical sect I was in.

[quote="HouseUponRock, post:4, topic:314437"]
I was raised Catholic but became a heretic. I received infant baptism. It was when I was heretic that I tried to convert my friend from Catholicism to the heretical sect I was in.

[/quote]

You were baptized as an infant, but did you have any education in the faith?

To be a heretic, you must know the truth and then deny it. If you were never properly catechised, you cannot be a heretic.

I strongly suggest that you make an appointment with your priest and discuss this issue with him.

Peace be with you on your journey!

Absolutely. Please, please make an appointment with your priest. This is really something that needs to be discussed. There are so many vairables, like the other poster said. Your priest can answer all of your doubts and questions. He'll also know if there is something that needs to be confessed in all of it, or not.

In the meantime, know that God is infinately merciful, loving, kind and gentle. He's not going to beat you up over it. Your priest will guide you. Talk to him, please. This really needs a priest's input, not laypeople, no matter how caring we are.
I am praying for you.
Kris

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.