Did I desecrate the Eucharist?

A couple of weeks ago, I had a migraine during Mass. When I have a migraine I usually throw up after a few hours, and literally right after I got out of my car after driving home from Church I did. The issue I’m worried about is that I received the Eucharist at that Mass. I don’t remember whether or not I knew I would throw up, but I certainly didn’t intend to desecrate the Eucharist. I went online and read if it was a sin the next day and learned that one is supposed to burn the remains if that happens. I was at school when I learned that and didn’t text my mom at home, who told me she would clean it up, about it because a) I figured she had already done the deed, so there was no point and b) my school as horrendous reception and I didn’t want to wrestle with my text messaging service. Now I’m afraid she hadn’t done it and I failed to do my due diligence. Are either of what I did (throwing up the Eucharist or not alerting the person cleaning it up about the proper way to dispose of it) sins of desecrating the Eucharist?

After the appearance of bread or wine is no more, it’s my understanding that it is no longer the Eucharist. So once consumed, the appearance of bread does not remain. So no, you didn’t desecrate the Eucharist, and even if it was still present, it was a completely involuntary action.

And if it was outside (since you said you weren’t sure if your mom had cleaned it up or not - I am assuming you wouldn’t just let it sit around inside!) I don’t think there’s much you could do. If your mom did clean it up, thank her. Really, I would think that would be your job, once you were feeling better - at least to check.

This sounds like scruples.

(And while you may have felt fine before getting to Mass, if you have a migraine before you go, it’s not wrong to stay home, especially since you know that you might get so sick you throw up.)

Thanks. When, specifically, is it considered that the appearance of bread is lost? Is chewing it enough or must it undergo digestion?

And if it was outside (since you said you weren’t sure if your mom had cleaned it up or not - I am assuming you wouldn’t just let it sit around inside!) I don’t think there’s much you could do. If your mom did clean it up, thank her. Really, I would think that would be your job, once you were feeling better - at least to check.

I was thankful, believe me. I probably would have done it if she were willing to wait, but I fell asleep pretty much as soon as I got home (another facet of my migraines) and had to leave for school as soon as I woke up.

This sounds like scruples.

I do suffer from scrupulosity, which is why I’m asking this.

I believe it’s after you swallowed it. Can’t recognize it at that stage. Its aspects of bread and wine are gone.

I read that the host dissolves in your stomach after about 10 to 15 minuets after it is consumed. You and Christ are one in a extra special way for that time. I would not worry about this too much. Ask a priest if it will make you feel better but I suspect he will tell you not to worry about it. I can be scrupulous too so I understand. One time I threw up before Mass and swallowed a bit. I quickly took note of the time right after I threw up so if Mass ran faster than normal and it had not been a hour since I threw up and swallowed a little I would not receive communion and commit a sin :rolleyes:

Hello Pieman.

I’ve looked over some of your other questions and subjects here at CAF and really won’t validate your sickness towards things Catholic with a reasoned response.

Glenda

I’m sorry, what? I truly love God and his Church, and my questions are not out of hatred or disrespect but out of sincere worries, which, though perhaps pathological, I do not choose. I did not choose to have a migraine that day and did not want to desecrate the Eucharist, nor was it out of a literal “sickness of things Catholic.” Can you at least elaborate on what you mean and why you believe it based on my posts?

Couple of things:
Talk to your priest about it.
Your pastor will give you the best advice.

Hello Pieman.

" Confessing lust towards Clergy" Your thread and problem says it all. forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=12521985#post12521985

You expect to be taken seriously? Well, that is beyond my patience. Maybe someone else, but not me.

Glenda

Glenda,

I don’t wish to be uncharitable towards you, who I do believe is sincere, but I feel the need to defend myself. If you do not wish to help me that is fine. However, I do not understand your reaction to my post. I was not trolling when I wrote that, if you don’t believe me, I suppose there is nothing I can do to convince you, but I promise you I was genuine. Furthermore, though I did indeed commit that atrocious act, I also truly repented and sought forgiveness. Indeed, my thread was posted to allow me to ensure I did so properly. And yes, I do struggle with homosexual impulses, but I assure you that those, like my scrupulosity, are not choices, and if there were I would get rid of them in a heartbeat, out of love for Christ.

If you are disgusted with my past sins, I cannot say I fault you, and I apologize for my previously angry tone. But I assure you I am sincere and need the help of this community right now. I do not think when Jesus said, “all sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men… But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost, shall never have forgiveness, but shall be guilty of an everlasting sin” (Mark 3:28-29), he meant lust towards clergy when he said blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. I am truly trying to change. This has gone too far off-topic already so if you do not wish to answer my question, I ask that you refrain from replying to this post in this thread. Please keep me in your Prayers, and I will do the same for you.

That means you consult a spiritual director/regular confessor who knows you have scruples, not strangers on the Internet.

God bless you.

I don’t want to be harsh, but Glenda, this is the sin of detraction. “Detraction is the unjust damaging of another’s good name by the revelation of some fault or crime of which that other is really guilty or at any rate is seriously believed to be guilty by the defamer.”
The OP asked a question about a moral issue, there is no need to bring in his previous problems. And of course God can forgive any sin,
If we can’t deal with someone’s problems, silence is probably the best course,

Hello Viki.

Guess what? He made it public, then public it is.

Glenda

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.