Did I do something wrong here?

I had two sins–one mortal and one venial. These two sins took place in the space of time in between the Saturday confession, which I did, and the Sunday noon Mass. For many reasons I was only able to ask the priest to hear my confession a few minutes before the Mass. When I noticed that the priest was a little worried that I may delay the Mass, I only confessed the mortal sin (I procrastinated on homework), but not the venial sin (this was the first time I have been stuck in this situation of commiting a mortal sin in this time pocket, and asked God for a sign to help me determine what to do next, which was not a sin per se; but I was constantly tempted by my thoughts to distrust Him).
Given the circumstances, I still took the Holy Communion, thinking that I did the right thing. But after this, I still felt that there is something wrong.
I know there would have been a “righter” thing to do, but did I do something wrong? Or am I just being over scrupulous? What should I do about it?

You are only required to confess mortal sins.
ccc 1456(*link to the Vatican web site)

confession of venial sins are encouraged ccc1458

You are however, forgiven of your venial sins during the opening of the Mass during the penitential rite…
“I confess to almighty god and you my brothers and sisters…”

Unless what you thought was venial is actually mortal, and you know it to be so and did so with full knowledge and will, then you should have nothing to worry about.

Be at peace.

(I am a Catechist and often a member my parish RCIA team. This type question comes up often when covering this Sacrament).

Good grief!

Wherever did you get the idea that procrastinating on homework is a mortal sin?

I suggest you make an appointment to discuss sin in general with your priest because not only do you sound scrupulous, but you also sound misinformed, which is a very dangerous combination.

As for you question - putting aside the fact that you did not commit mortal sin anyway - you are not required, ever, to confess venial sins. It is perfectly acceptable to only confess your mortal sins, especially when you are doing so when time is important, such as confessing soon before mass, or if there is a long line for confessions.

Contrary to popular belief, asking for signs is actually a good thing, provided that you are confident that God will answer you, and you are questioning anything aside from God’s unlimited power. Therefore, I am confident that asking for a sign in my case is not my sin. It did bother me to ask for a sign because I grew up believing that asking for signs is an unconditional sin, which I have said is definitely not the case. Maybe that was why I was bothered. I asked for a specific sign, which I did not get. But conveniently enough, the readings for this Sunday was about the sins I committed.
My venial sin was that I grew impatient waiting for that sign that I got tempted to ask God for another sign to provide a negation for not receiving the sign I asked prior. I think that it was venial because I basically told God, “God, I’m losing hope I won’t get your ‘YES’ sign. Give me a ‘NO’ sign instead… Wait, God, I’m sorry. Never mind! I take it back!” Am I right?

Oh my!!! That’s why when I told the priest that, he was like, “Umm, is that it?”

My basis of saying it was a mortal sin was because I was too confident that I can finish it by Saturday night. But instead, I worked on it until 3:00am and have not finished yet (I’m on a short break right now, to relieve my stress from it), which is me saying that “I am not giving my Lord the day I need with him!” And the whole basis of this is that I did it on purpose; when I could have not procrastinated, and have my Sunday with the Lord and my family instead of stressing over my worksheets.

Matthew 12:

38 Then some of the scribes and Pharisees said to him, “Teacher, we wish to see a sign from you.”

39 He said to them in reply, "An evil and unfaithful generation seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah the prophet.

40 Just as Jonah was in the belly of the whale three days and three nights, so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights.

Asking for a specific sign is not only bold and challenging, but can amount to testing God to see if He will answer. The amount of faith required for that to happen would negate the need to ask (my opinion only). It seems that, that level of faith would have to start with faith in God’s ability and willingness to forgive sin and error as well as provide guidance which would effectively replace the need to ask for specific signs.

I think you are being over-scrupulous, your pastor can give the guidance you need.

Seeking signs is not a bad thing if you know what you’re doing. In fact, most men discerning their vocation (as far as priesthood is concerned, because that’s where my discernment is leading me) can recall asking for at least one sign. Some ask God to reveal to them “the next step” like He did to Joseph–through a dream. Some ask from St. Therese of the Child Jesus to drop roses from the sky. And many of these people received the signs they were looking for. But that will get us far from the topic of sin, and is only my point that asking for signs is not unconditionally a sin.
From the context of Matthew 12, Jesus is tested of His worth, and the Pharisees and Sadducees are sprinkled throughout the Gospels as people who still doubt that Jesus is in fact God. I was simply asking God to tell my what my next move is, because whether my sins were venial or mortal, I can’t get to confession at 3:00am. And I would rather not ask a priest before the mass because he’s preparing for the highest form of prayer there is on earth.
Without going into too much detail about the signs, I asked God to either make it easy for me to do the right thing, or make it impossible for me to do the wrong thing.

Thank you! This will get us off topic, but no–I did not ask God for a sign to test if He will answer, because I trust him. And yes, that is bold and challenging.

as I said, be at peace.

As for the comment about being over-scrupulous… this is a real problem many suffer from and I agree with the advise to talk with your pastor… taking it step father, specifically, ask about a spiritual advisor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.