Did I invalidate my Confession?

I made a General Confession today. During the Confession, the Priest asked me if I was sorry for all of my past sins, and I replied that I was. Later, in answer to a question I posed regarding confessing a sin, the Priest stated that it was taken care of when I said that I was sorry for all of my past sins. The problem is that I did not remember having made that statement earlier. My initial thought was, “Did I say that? I don’t remember saying that.” Then I thought that I should state that I was sorry for all of my past sins in case I hadn’t already. Ultimately, I chose not to, and made no mention of it to the Priest. By the end of the Confession, I had forgotten about this incident and did express concern about having missed something or made a mistake. I realize that I did not actually withhold any grave sins, however, based upon the understanding I had at the time, I did make a choice that could have resulted in withholding grave sin and at the least could have been deceptive. I do not believe that it was ever my full intent to withhold anything or be deceptive, but I’m not sure. I have tendencies toward scrupulosity and am agonizingly concerned that I invalidated the entire Confession through this incident.

Be at Peace. Let it go. Breathe.

Please be at peace.

Please take up all your concerns with confession only with the priest.

Coming to a public place to ask for answers is not helpful. It fuels OCD/ scrupulosity.

You may change expressing yourself with having “tendencies towards scrupulosity” to simply saying you are scrupulous and this is disturbing your peace. Recognize that the proper place to get help is with a priest, not on the internet.

May God give you peace. May God help you find peace in your sufferings with OCD/ scrupulosity.

You would do well to pay attention to those who have posted on this thread before me. In addition to their advice, I strongly suggest that you go to the Catholic Rectory nearest you and make an appointment to see a priest. If one is available while you are there, see him.
When you are face to face with him, discuss your problems with Confession as you have stated them here. If it makes you feel better, ask the priest to handle this as a Confession, so as to put the seal upon it.
I have no idea as to how old you are, but if you are an adult, you might also ask the priest for a referral to a good Catholic Psychologist or Psychiatrist, because scrupulosity is more of a psychological problem than it is one of the soul. If you are an adolescent, with the priest’s help, you probably will “grow out of it” as you mature into adulthood.

You went to confession to confess your sins and God recognizes that and loves you for it. Don’t you usually end your confession with the words “for these and all the past sins in my life, I am truly sorry” ? If not, perhaps you should start, given your concerns with your scrupulous condition. That would include everything and God already knows about your condition and takes all of that into consideration when you confess.

Peace be with you…

If you are scrupulous, it’s a good idea to find a spiritual director and go to them for these kinds of questions.

It takes time in prayer, life, and sacraments for some of us to heal from sins, even though we’ve been forgiven.

If one is having difficulties with scruples (The Priest can tell you if you do…) -it is important to have a “regular confessor” do direct one. Such is the age old practice in the Church.

A person with struggles with scruples can even be in a “different boat” than others in some things.

The confessor can direct them and give them principles to apply in their case.

I’m the original poster and I’m concerned that by discussing what has occurred in my Confessions, I have violated the Seal of Confession…

The Seal binds the priest, not the penitent. That’s not something you have to worry about.

Usagi

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.