Did I mess up the Stations of the Cross?

I went to my parish church to make the Stations of the Cross. The way I learned them was you kneel at the altar, make an act of contrition, proceed to the first station, genuflect, meditate briefly then say the Our father, Hail Mary, and the Glory Be. You then repeat this at each station. Upon ending you go back to the altar, and say the Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be five times each. However, when I did this, the few people that were in the church looked at me as if I had lost my mind. Am I doing this wrong?

There are many legitimate ways of praying the Stations of the Cross. As it is ordinarily a private devotion, you are free to choose any pious means of saying them. The way you were taught is perfectly fine.

It is puzzling that people would particularly notice how you were praying the Stations and look at you strangely. My guess is that you may have been praying aloud. If so, it is usually considered polite to pray private devotions silently. If you were praying silently and people were looking at you strangely, my advice would be just to ignore them. Who knows? Perhaps you will set them a good example of devotion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.