Did I miss something?

I’ve seen the term “Divine Mercy Sunday” used a couple of times here. Is there a new norm of some sort with which I am not familiar? Am I correct in assuming this is another name for Easter Sunday? Isn’t Easter actually the Feast of the Resurrection of Our Lord?

If so, and if “Divine Mercy” is not a name mandated by the Church, I assume it’s an attempt to reinvigorate the regligious aspect of a secularized holiday. Am I right?

Should I start calling Christmas Day “Incarnation Day”? :wink:

Peace,
Dante

Yes, you have missed quite a big something, and no, Divine Mercy Sunday isn’t another name for Easter. Divine Mercy Sunday actually falls the week after Easter Sunday (it’s on April 15 this year).

It’s a feastday based on the Divine Mercy devotions revealed by Christ to St Faustina Kowalska. It was formally declared as a feast in 2000 by John Paul 2. You can read up more on this particular devotion and feast here.

God bless.

It is not another name for Divine Mercy.
Check out: %between%

Basically The Chaplet of The Divine Mercy, is a prayer given from Jesus. “Through Saint Faustina, Jesus also revealed special ways to live out the response to His mercy–one of which is the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, as both a novena and a prayer for the three o’clock hour–the hour of His death.”

It is on Easter because It is the resurrection of Our Lord. Jesus told Saint Faustina, at three o’clock the hour of his death, is the time when his mercy is the greatest. We just try to pray that on Easter Sunday, because Jesus died and then Resurrected, giving us the Mercy and forgiveness.

No, it is not secular, it is very catholic. It is just a day, to recognize his mercy and to pray the The Chaplet of The Divine Mercy at 3 o’clock.

(I am not a catholic scholar at this, and I learned most of this yesterday, so I might be wrong, and if I am, have mercy and don’t tear me about :thumbsup: thanks, I hope this helped. :slight_smile: )

Divine Mercy Sunday is actually one week after Easter, this year on April 15. the novena leading up to Divine Mercy Sunday begins on Good Friday, and 3:00 is the recommended hour for reciting the chaplet because that is traditionally considered to be the hour Jesus breathed his last.

Not to tear you about, but Divine Mercy Sunday is actually the Sunday following Easter Sunday (as I said, April 15 this year).

Peace and blessings.

OK…now I’m just embarrassed! :blush:

Thanks for your help!

Peace,
Dante

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.