Did I say a bad thing about the Holy Spirit?

Hi
I have scrupulosity and am constantly thinking I have blasphemed under my breath when it is very likely that I haven’t. I’ve kept having bad thoughts about the Holy Spirit being ev*l and kept thinking I might’ve said it. To reassure myself, I deliberately said that the devil was evil. I recorded myself saying it because last time I’ve said things like that, I’ve gotten all worried that I couldn’t remember exactly what I said. It’s just, after I said the devil was evil, I was thinking about blasphemy and the Holy Spirit and I breathed and might have uttered something bad about the Holy Spirit. God knows my intentions doesn’t he? My intention was to say the devil was evil to reassure myself I hadn’t used the word evil in connection with the Holy Spirit. I’ve also been told that if I had said something blasphemous, I would definitely know.
I’m going to confession tomorrow, if I did say anything bad about the Holy Spirit, can it be forgiven?

Please help, thanks

Just from this distance, not knowing you personally, I would say you should not worry.

IF you said something bad aobut the Holy Spirit (which I doubt), It certainly can be forgiven. You are already demonstrating your concern. Scrupulosity is the devil’s very own invention! (Although it might be argued that most of us could use a little more of it these days!):console:

I’d say the very fact that you desperately don’t want to blasphem the Holy Spirit pretty much means that you haven’t. Random thoughts happen to everyone. Your scrupulousness about this particular issue probably caused you to become obsessive about and it probably just became a vicious cycle after that.

God knows your heart. Talk to your priest who will likely have good advice for you receive absolution and be free of this.

God Bless you,

Have you seen about possible medical help for this problem about not remembering what you have or have not done?

SebMurphy,

You have asked this and similar questions on other threads. In fact, nearly every post you have made is based on your scrupulosity.

Forget about the answer to this question or other specific questions. You need to deal with your scrupulosity. Period. Nothing else matters as much.

See these links. Then make an appointment with your priest. Not for confession, but for counseling.

The Ten Commandments for the scrupulous:
mission.liguori.org/newsletters/scrupulosity.htm

Other links on scrupulosity.
catholic.com/thisrock/2006/0611fea5.asp
catholicculture.org/library/view.cfm?recnum=3739
healthyplace.com/Communities/Anxiety/ocd_scrupulosity.asp

Jimmy Akin’s list of scrupulosity links.
jimmyakin.typepad.com/defensor_fidei/2006/01/scrupulosity.html

You have asked this and similar questions on other threads. In fact, nearly every post you have made is based on your scrupulosity.

Forget about the answer to this question or other specific questions. You need to deal with your scrupulosity. Period. Nothing else matters as much.

Good Insight, good advice.

Hi Murphy, you are experincing “false guilt”. Look for a booklet called the guilt trip. google.com/search?hl=en&q=tim+lahaye+guilt+trip+book

Since your concern is about Pneumatology or fancy word meaning study-theology of Holy Spirit, I suggest you study whom the Holy Spirit is, how to be filled with the Holy Spirit, Seek out his roles in your Christian life ( Romans 8, Eph 5:18, Gal 5 ). Then when you find yourself attacked in anyway with a guilt trip concerning the Holy Spirit, simply start speaking out loud truths about whom the Holy Spirit is, and about his santificating role in the christians life.

1 Corinthians 12:3
Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

In short, confront the falseness of the guilt trip, with truth about the Holy Spirit. Learn to depend more on him daily Romans 12:1-3.

James 4:7
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.