Did I sell my brother's soul?

I am around 18, and a Christian, and recently I have been having somewhat satanic thoughts after watching videos like celebraties that sell their soul. No matter how much I tried, there was always a voice in the back of my head saying these denomic things, and I felt like it was me truly thinking it on purpose, and I felt like that this was the case, even though I love God. Thoughts like “Satan forfils my actions”, and “Satan can have my soul if (condition here) happens” barraged my thoughts. The same thing happened when I thought I commited blasphemy against God, and I still think I did. But this time when my brother asked me for something to eat and after giving it to him, the thought came to my mind, “On terms if you give me your soul”, after that, the thought of me selling my brothers soul to the devil came, now that I think I “own” his soul since he took and ate the item. The thought, " I will give Satan my brother soul" and that scared the life out of me especially since I came to the fact that I was probably bound for eternal hell and the fact that my mom, dad, and brother are going to heaven made me feel better, but now thinking I sold my brothers soul which makes me feel worse than ever. Same thing with my dad too, but in this case he signed something for me. Is my brother, my dad, or I bound for eternal hell? Please reply it’s tearing me apart, on the point on where I’ll probably going to lead to self harm and insanity. I asked this on other forums and yet to have a reply.

1. This sounds like OCD. I have OCD and it can produce thoughts like this. They can ambush you out of nowhere. And cause terrible anxiety. Seek help from a professional therapist. It is nothing to be ashamed of.

2. Do not post questions on the forum or shop for answers. Talk to a Priest in person.

3. Ignore these thoughts. They are nonsense. “Soul selling” is a fictional device.

4. The more you worry, the more you dwell on this, the more it will bother you. Seeking answers is a compulsion which will empower these thoughts. They are just thoughts.

5. You cannot even sell your own soul, much less someone else’s soul. So stop worrying about it.

Satan is the father of lies, and the lie is his weapon of choice against us.
No matter how often such thoughts torment you they are not true and cannot be made true against you will.
It is not possible for you to sell your brother’s soul. It is not possible for you to own your brother’s soul.
The fact that thoughts to that effect came into your mind does not make them true.
Neither does it mean you want them to be true.
The fact that a thought keeps coming to you does not mean you want that thought. There are several possible explanations for obsessively recurring thoughts, and none of them make you guilty of anything.

I advise you to go to someone you can trust. A priest or pastor. An older adult you know to be wise and trustworthy. Get advice from a source you know you can believe.

I will add you to my intercession list, will pray for you. May the living God bless and protect you.

Edit: I have now read what Canvas posted. Canvas gives wise advice. Please follow it.

What do you mean by cause new obessions?

You are suffering from obsessive, intrusive thoughts. You brain may latch on to a random idea and then run away with it.

Obsessions are thoughts, images or impulses that occur over and over again and feel outside of the person’s control. Individuals with OCD do not want to have these thoughts and find them disturbing. In most cases, people with OCD realize that these thoughts don’t make any sense. Obsessions are typically accompanied by intense and uncomfortable feelings such as fear, disgust, doubt, or a feeling that things have to be done in a way that is “just right.” In the context of OCD, obsessions are time consuming and get in the way of important activities the person values. This last part is extremely important to keep in mind as it, in part, determines whether someone has OCD — a psychological disorder — rather than an obsessive personality trait.

https://iocdf.org/about-ocd/

It’s intrusive thoughts - form of obsessive compulsive disorder. You need to contact a psychologist to be assessed. Cognitive behavioural therapy is very helpful for this type of OCD.

You can’t sell even your own soul. It was created and is always owned by God.

We cannot sell our souls. Or the soul of anyone else

@camoderator
@cawebmaster

A) You are having intrusive thoughts, compulsion, and high levels of anxiety. You need to see a medical doctor and probably a therapist too. These are typically related to OCD, but you need to talk to a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

B) It is not possible to sell your soul to the devil. That is a plot in movies. It is not reality. We remain free agents with intellect and will our entire lives and cannot “sell” our soul to anyone. You also cannot sell anyone else’s soul to the devil.

C) Your intrusive and compulsive thoughts are behavior are not rational, and you will continue to have them if you don’t seek out some medical and psychological help. Please tell your doctor about your thoughts of self harm. Do so as soon as possible.

You soul belongs to God. Any attempt to sell your soul (or anyone else’s soul) to satan is futile. You cannot sell something that does not belong to you.

Here is a prayer to break any ties with Satan found at http://www.sensustraditionis.org ( a prayer against diabolic opression).

Most Blessed Trinity, by the authority given to me by the natural law and by Thy giving these
things & rights to me, I claim authority, rights and power over my N. (income, finances,
possessions, etc.) and anything else that pertains to the oppression. By the merits of Thy Sacred
Wounds, I reclaim the rights, powers and authority over anything which I may have lost or
conceded to any demon and I ask Thee to remove any demon’s ability to influence or affect
anything in my life. God the Father humiliate the demons that have sought to steal Thy glory
from Thee by oppressing Thy creatures. We beseech Thee to show Thy great glory and power
over them and Thy great generosity to me, Thine unworthy creature, by answering all that I have
asked of Thee. I bind all demons of oppression, in the name of Jesus, by the power of the Most
Precious Blood, the power of the humility with which Christ suffered His wounds, and the
intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Virgin Most Powerful, Saint Michael the Archangel, the
blessed Apostles, Peter and Paul, and all the saints, and I command you to leave and go to the
foot of the Holy Cross to receive your sentence, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of
the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Hmm. Sounds like medical diagnosis and advice. This person is asking a sincere question about a spiritual concern. Why not suggest a prayer, which is something he can do right now, instead of labeling him OCD, and saying wait two weeks for a doctor’s appointment so the doctor can sort it out for him. Satan likes to tempt the imagination, especially in young people. Kick satan out of the imagination with prayer. Prayer also serves to re-train thoughts.

There are many prayers and sacramentals we should be using as a first resort. They are free and readily available. Not every intrusive thought needs medical attention. Time will tell whether OP needs a doctor. But we should always ask for and recommend divine help first.

You don’t…

Not because of anything you described in your post…

What would have to happen for you not to worry about this?

No. No. No. No. It’s not possible. Relax and stop freaking yourself out. :sunglasses:

Start with knowing there is no such thing as selling your soul.

A priest can give you guidance around these thoughts much better than a message board can.

No, you did not.

A soul cannot be bought or sold.

playa who do you usually have as backup when you feel like self harm

Souls can’t be bought or sold.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.