Did I sin mortally?

I thought about the 2nd commandment today and I though about how saying Jesus as an exclamation and “for the love of g” etc were not a sin if you really mean it like hypothetically a friend was going to commit adultery and you talked him down but used the words because you mean it. I thought the words in my head several times. Did I sin?

=ItsmeJoe;11143327]I thought about the 2nd commandment today and I though about how saying Jesus as an exclamation and “for the love of g” etc were not a sin if you really mean it like hypothetically a friend was going to commit adultery and you talked him down but used the words because you mean it. I thought the words in my head several times. Did I sin?

Hi Joe [that’s my middle name]:slight_smile:

In order for any act [amost**] to be a Mortal sin 1st. John 5:1-8 several condistions must be present. They are:

1. it must be a SERIOUS matter
    What you express does not meet that criterai in it’s FULLEST and necessary sense.

By serious matter is meant a GRAVE matter on issue that God would judge as being serious enoung that were you to die immeately after commiting it without have repented, or Confessed it through the sacrament of Cofession that it would in Devine Justice WARRANT His judgement of Eetenal hell.

This act as you expressed it would NOT meet that criteria.

1. One MUST be aware [know[ that what one is about to do would be a Mortal sin [COLOR=“red”]BEFORE doing it. Again as described you action would not meet the criteria of a Mortal sin.

2. Knowing that what is being considered would IN FACT be a Mortal sin, and then STLL desireing to do it anyway is the third necessary pre existant Condition; and again it is not existing in the case example toy gave.

** **Explaination: **
Using God’s name in vain is ALWAYS sinful; but not NOT aways “mortally sinful”

For this type of act to be a mortal sin, WORTHY of God’s Eternal damnation punishment one would have to use Gods name in direct conjunction for a SINCERE, premediated desire to have God send [someone specifly named and in mind], to Hell for eternity as your intent,

Saying things like “G… D… it” or " from anger D… D…You" out of fustration are serious venail sins; and ought to be avoided; but not MORTAL sins.:o

God Bless you and protect you, thanks for asking,:slight_smile:

patrick [PJM]

I’d dare say all sins are mortal. Jesus died for us as a sacrifice for even the simplest of sins. As long as you are truly sorrowful and pray for the Lord’s forgiveness, you should be spared. But if your apology is only a ruse to make yourself feel better and you continue with the same sin knowing the repercussions (hell), then you may have a problem. Remember, God knows our heart! One sin may be the unforgivable:
Mar 3:28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
Mar 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

We must treat the name of Jesus with the utmost respect, for all creatures in the heavens, on earth and in the underworld will bend the knee at the Name of Jesus. Phil 2:10-11 It sounds like you acted spontaneously, rather than maliciously. I would recommend that if it happens again, you commit to saying some prayer to praise the Name of Jesus in reparation and do it 10x or more. You will develop a new pious habit to squash the bad one. “Praise be the Name of Jesus!” “Jesus is Lord!” “No one speaking under the influence of the Holy Spirit can say, ‘Curse Jesus’ Likewise, no one can “Jesus is Lord” except by the power of the Holy Spirit” 1 Cor 12:3
When you go to confession, tell the priest you used the Name of Jesus rashly and resolve to not do it again. As a further penance, you might try to influence those around you to not abuse the Name of Jesus or God.

=Even So;11143659]I’d dare say all sins are mortal. Jesus died for us as a sacrifice for even the simplest of sins. As long as you are truly sorrowful and pray for the Lord’s forgiveness, you should be spared. But if your apology is only a ruse to make yourself feel better and you continue with the same sin knowing the repercussions (hell), then you may have a problem. Remember, God knows our heart! One sin may be the unforgivable:
Mar 3:28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
Mar 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

My DEAR friend in Christ,

By not using the entire bibe one can ALL too easily come to wrong understand.

1John.1 Verses 8 to 10 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

1John.5 Verses 16 to 17 "If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

John.20 Verses 20 to 23" When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained”
:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.