Did I sin mortally?

I work at a chocolate shop. We have a rewards program. You have to spend at least $10.00 a year in order to remain active in our system. A customer wished to renew her membership. The chocolates she chose weighed at $9.80. I didn’t want to tell her she had to buy another truffle, which generally costs about $2.30, although she could buy something as little as $0.70 (but they’re not very popular). In order to make the transaction go more conveniently for both of us, I added $0.20 to her total, making it exactly $10.00. I was conflicted about this as I was doing it. It was what I would want someone to do for me in that situation. But it’s not only lying but stealing. Did I sin mortally by adding $0.20 to this customer’s total? This probably sounds ridiculous, but.:blush: I tried to use my best judgement, but it still felt like lying/stealing.

Aren’t you being a little silly over such a trivial amount?

Explain this to your boss and follow his/her instructions.

Sounds like she wanted to renew her membership. You gave her what she wanted. If your conscience bothers you confess it, but for you to have sinned mortally you would have to know it’s a mortal sin before you did it, you would have to have intended to do it, and it would have to constitute grave matter.

You obviously don’t know if it’s a mortal sin, you intended to be charitable, and I’m not convinced 20 cents is even necessarily grave matter. I’d say no, you did not sin mortally, but if your conscience bothers you that badly, confess it at your next confession and give the lady 20 cents out of your pocket next time you see her and buy some cheap thing from your boss’ store.

From your story, I suppose it is a sin.

Everyone is different.

If that was me, I know I have deliberately stolen money from that person, it would be on my conscience and I would have to confess. It wasn’t my money to take. Yes twenty cents is not much, but if I justified it in my head as a small amount, it may lead to a dollar the next week and more the following month.

It’s all relative, some of the people involved with Enron and other scams responsible for stealing hardworking taxpayers money a couple of years ago, honestly didn’t think stealing 10 grand was that much. I guess for them, 10grand=twenty cents.

I don’t believe you have committed a sin at all, certainly not a mortal one.

The woman did not come in and ask to buy X amount of chocolate. She came in and stated she wanted to renew her membership- a $10 transaction. So, you gave the woman what she wanted, a $10 transaction.

You need to understand the purpose of the business offering the membership/loyalty club. It is to generate sales. In order to represent your company, not the customer, you should have indicated to the woman she needed an additional item to reach the $10 club level and then let her choose what she wanted to buy to reach the level.

As an employee it is your job to represent the best interest of your company (unless your company is doing something illegal or unethical, which this company is not), The requirements of the club are known to the customers and they can choose to meet the requirement or not.

Just for the sake of argument let’s assume the action was grave matter, you were fully aware it was grave matter and sinful, and dislike this you did it anyway…now what?

The answer in confession, contrition, penance resulting in absolution and reconciliation with God.

It seems your conscience is bothering you…this is a sure sign you should bring it up in confession…through pastoral discussion a priest will guide you to whatever action, if any, to renew your spiritual health, receive forgiveness, and restore your relationship with God.

If the priest says there was no sin, your conscience will be clear, your soul will be at peace, and you will still receive and enjoy the graces that come with this beautiful sacrament!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.