Did I steal my mother's money? Is it a mortal sin?

I went out with my mom to a mall yesterday and right before we were about to go home my mom went to the restroom and I was holding her purse, I realized that in my wallet I only had a couple of $100 bills and I had to pay the parking fee (around $2). The last time I tried to pay $2 parking bill with $100, I got this deathly angry stare from the checkout operator. so I checked if she has small changes and she did, So I took $2 from my mom’s purse (we rummage each other’s purses without permission from time to time, no privacy issue on that), by the time she got out of the restroom I had totally forgotten about it. I’m 100% sure she wouldn’t mind but if i confess my action to her she will go “Haaaa you stole from me!” and jokingly tell everyone about it UGH just to tease me, so I will not return the money, Did I just commit a mortal sin by stealing my mom’s money?

Why wouldn’t you tell her and give her the $2? I think the fact that you’re so clear that you won’t return the money makes it sinful (even though $2 isn’t much).

Just put the two dollars back and be done with it.
Mary.
That’s my two cents worth!~

I would certainly tell your mom, but it sounds like she would not mind and everything is cool. Probably not a sin.

I agree. Just pay back the $2. Better to be teased for being a thief when you are not then to actually become one.

This takes me back to the wonderful speeches of Jesus.
“If the world hates you, know that you’re doing it wrong. Everybody likes me because I play the game to smooth things out instead of doing what I believe is right. I wouldn’t want to get teased, taunted, or humiliated for righteousness. That’s why I said to go into an inner room to pray after all.”

(that being said, I’m giving you a hard time. It’s probably not a mortal sin-- what are a few dollars between family?-- but give it back anyways, even if you give it back in secret)

[quote=CCC 2408]The seventh commandment forbids theft, that is, usurping another’s property against the reasonable will of the owner. There is no theft if consent can be presumed or if refusal is contrary to reason and the universal destination of goods. This is the case in obvious and urgent necessity when the only way to provide for immediate, essential needs (food, shelter, clothing . . .) is to put at one’s disposal and use the property of others.
[/quote]

In other words, since you’re reasonably sure that your mom would have paid the $2 for parking or allowed you to have taken it if you had asked her, it is not theft.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.