Did I steal? Was it mortal sin?

Alright guys, I have another one of these threads for you.

A few weeks ago I was at a flea market and came upon a stand selling used DVDs. I found a few I wanted to buy and put them on the table to have the dealer count them and give me a price. I noticed I put it on top of another dvd by mistake. I am not sure if they counted that dvd or not but I am fairly confident they didn’t, but I absentmindedly picked it up with the rest of the stack and put it in my bag. The seller either didn’t notice, didn’t care, or counted it all along, which again is least likely iirc. I didn’t notice I had taken the extra dvd until I got home. I really and truly didn’t want it, least of all to steal it, and didn’t know I took it. Unfortunately there is no way for me to find the seller to give it back/see if I paid. Did I steal that dvd, and if so was it a mortal sin? This has been bothering me for weeks.

You accidentally committed a theft. If things are as you say they are, however, there was no sin committed. You cannot sin by accident. You did not realize at the time that you had not paid or the DVD, and while you were willing to remedy the situation you didn’t have a practical way to do so.

No sin, as Dark Light pointed out. If you can’t return it because that dealer is not always at that flea market, just donate the unwanted DVD to charity and be at peace about it. :thumbsup:

Not a serious enough matter to be a mortal sin.

I suggest the charity be your local library. That way many people can get enjoyment out of it. :slight_smile:

Nope, and I wouldn’t spend a lot of time thinking about it. It’s not that big of a deal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.