Did I tell a lie?

Hello,

I recently filled out a job application questionnaire. One of the questions asked whether I had ever stolen anything from a store. It was a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ question, with no room for explanation. I replied that I had not stolen. However, this is not true. Over fifteen years ago, when I was seventeen, I stole some items from a book store. I have confessed and repented of that old sin from many years ago. Was I right in not answering the question truthfully? Or should I have answered differently?

Thanks for your input.

2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

You were forgiven, your sin was absolved, but that does not change what really happened, nor make your denial truthful. Based on what you wrote, I would have to conclude that you lied.

Would I have done the same? Perhaps.

But let’s ask ourselves, would it really have been so bad to tell the truth? Would it have cost you the job? Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows? If the employer is smart, he/she would be more likely to believe you and trust you if you answered yes. Everyone makes mistakes, but few have the integrity to admit it. Next time, answer yes and see what happens.
“But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”

Matthew 6:33

consider this- What if the real test is not whether you ever stole anything from a store, but if you are an honest person or not?

P.S. Congratulations on your recent confirmation. Give thanks and praise to God!

Thanks for the answers so far, guys. There is some wisdom in there for me.

Amen and thanks! It has been a blessing thus far.

Even if you confessed this and are forgiven that does not change the fact you did steal and on your job application you stated you had never stolen. That is a lie.

When you were 17 you weren’t considered an adult. Is it a lie? Perhaps; is it important? No. I honestly do not see the need to possibly harm your every chance at trying to get a job and provide for yourself for something that was 15 years ago when you were only 17. If you have not stolen anything since then (and I’m assuming that you are not in the habit now) then I think you can rest easy with your actions. One shouldn’t have to pay their entire life for a mistake made when they were young.

I think it’s definitely a lie which is a sin, but whether it is venial sin or mortal sin is hard to say. There are some situations when telling a lie is not a mortal sin. I don’t know if your situation is one of those. Best to speak with a priest about this. I personally would tell the truth just because I don’t want there to be any chance that God doesn’t let me into heaven. Better to be poor and getting into heaven than successful and going to hell. Re-read the Beatitudes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.