Did Jesus and Mary Magdelene marry?

I know this is not true. However, my mother saw a program on the History Channel. On it a Franciscan Friar said that it could be true. My mothers faith sways with the wind… so I need:

1. Biblical Refereces to disproove this.
  2. Books or pamphlets written to disprove this with good easy to read arguments etc.
  3. Did any of you see this and know who this guy is? I’d like to write him.
  4. How do you argue with someone who says they heard a man of the cloth say something that is not true?

Please help.

God Bless you and God Bless our Pope - John Paul II,

Donna

The idea that Christ married Mary Magdelene is nothing but idle speculation, unsupported by Scripture in any way. I can’t provide specific scripture in any case but there is no indication that He was married. This is just something people bring up to fascinate over like the Church is trying to cover up something.

Ask yourself, if Christ did marry, then why did the Apostles and teachings of the Catholic Church continue to keep chastity as a discipline? Really there would be no reason to other than to imitate Christ as much as possible.

The first thing that jumps out to me is that she saw this on TV. How does she know that the guy was even a real friar and not just an actor. Just because it is the History channel does not mean it’s fact. Somewhere along the line many people in our society have forgotten that TV is a form of entertainment, created to get us to buy more consumer goods.

Someone else had pointed out earlier that if Jesus was married, then why is there no mention of it in the Bible? I would think that something as important as that would come up at some point. I am curious to hear what would be this guys reasons to support this theory.

Oh yeah, did that Friar n TV go on to say that Mary Magdelene went to France and started a Monastary, long before Monastaries existed? Did he say that Joseph of Arithmea funded Mary Magdelene’s venture in France?

Just two days ago I watched the History Channel for an hour. They prefaced half their sentances with “IF” or “COULD IT BE THAT”.

And probably also half the European royalty is directly descended from Jesus Christ through Merovingians. :rolleyes: How convenient.

There is nothing in th bible nor church tradition that supports this theory the burden of proof lies on them not us throw back the question to mom where in the Bible does it say Jesus was married and where does histrory include this story. THis from the fable in the middle ages that wasn’t taken seriously by anyone until Dan Brown came along.

When St. Paul discusses the issue of celibacy He refers to Jesus as a model.
If Jesus were married - this would make no sense.

The early christians were a close-knit group.
The “brother of the Lord” - James - bishop of Jerusalem was very well known.
The cousin of the Lord - Jude - was also well known.

If the Messiah had a wife and children - isn’t it odd that the early Church would have neglected to acknowledge them?

I would respond “show me in scripture where it says Jesus was married”
“show me historical documents that support this theory”

[quote=Donna P]I know this is not true. However, my mother saw a program on the History Channel. On it a Franciscan Friar said that it could be true. My mothers faith sways with the wind… so I need:

2. Books or pamphlets written to disprove this with good easy to read arguments etc.
  4. How do you argue with someone who says they heard a man of the cloth say something that is not true?

Please help.

Donna
[/quote]

Hello Donna,

Why so quick to disprove the idea? You are going about the issue backwards. You have made up your mind first and are now set to look for evidence to back up your preconception. Why not look at the evidence first then make up your mind second?

I really don’t see the big deal with the idea that Jesus might have been married. I find it an interesting, if remote, possibility.

[quote=Lorarose]If the Messiah had a wife and children - isn’t it odd that the early Church would have neglected to acknowledge them?

[/quote]

Perhaps, perhaps not. How much do you know about the family of the first Pope? There isn’t much at all about Peter’s wife in the bible, just an account of Peter visiting his mother-in-law.

I often wondered if it would be considered more noteworthy at the time if Jesus was married or if Jesus was a bachelor. Would the authors of the new testament write, “Jesus, who by the way was married…” if marriage was the normal state of affairs?

I have also heard it pointed out that Jesus was put to death at the hands of the Romans with the encouragement of the religious authorities for claiming to be the “King of the Jews”. I could understand if the new testament writers who were writing 50-80 years later would choose not emphasize Jesus’ family. No need to put them in danger. In later years the knowledge might have been lost.

[quote=Angainor]Hello Donna,

Why so quick to disprove the idea? You are going about the issue backwards. You have made up your mind first and are now set to look for evidence to back up your preconception. Why not look at the evidence first then make up your mind second?
[/quote]

What evidence?

I really don’t see the big deal with the idea that Jesus might have been married. I find it an interesting, if remote, possibilit

Christ has a bride. His Church.

Christ came to do the will of the Father perfectly. He came to do nothing for himself accept save His Creation. He looked for no glory or gain at all. Getting married would have been doing something for himself in a human way. He is married to all of us as we are of His very own body. He loves us each the same as his love is not measured as humans measure love. He is the vow to us. Not to one but to all. Jesus being married would makes Jesus a mere man.

It would make him a Mormon. But Jesus is God and we on the other hand are His creation, His adopted children through Christ… He loves in a much broader sense.

[quote=catholic-rcia]Getting married would have been doing something for himself in a human way.
[/quote]

Marriage isn’t as selfish as all that. Marriage is giving as much as getting.

[quote=catholic-rcia]Jesus being married would makes Jesus a mere man.
[/quote]

Jesus was a man, yes. I’m not sure what you mean by “mere” man. I guess you mean that a “mere man” would lack a divine nature. I don’t think of it that way. Jesus was a man. He was also divine. Being married wouldn’t make him any “mere”-er of a man.

[quote=catholic-rcia]It would make him a Mormon.
[/quote]

I don’t really know what you mean by that.:confused: An inside joke?

[quote=catholic-rcia]Jesus being married would makes Jesus a mere man.
[/quote]

I believe Jesus was fully man, or, as the The Athanasian Creed puts it, perfect man. Your comment that Jesus wasn’t a “mere man” sort of leads me to believe that Jesus was not fully man. I don’t know how else to understand that comment.

About the Mormon thing, she means that we, the Church, are the bride of Christ. If Jesus were married in His life that would “make Him Mormon” because He’d have multiple wives and that would be okay. A reference, not an inside joke.

How can you justify that a married Jesus isn’t hard to believe and still believe that we are His bride? It seems to me that He was here for a much bigger purpose than having a satisfying personal life after His day job, if you will. Being married while knowing that you’re going to die seems cruel to the woman you married. Having a wife, in my opinion, would have distracted Jesus from the main focus. In fact, what would have been the point of Jesus marrying? It doesn’t even make sense.

God Bless.

[quote=SFAgal03]It seems to me that He was here for a much bigger purpose than having a satisfying personal life after His day job, if you will.
[/quote]

For the first 30 years of his life, his day job was to live as a human being.

[quote=SFAgal03]Being married while knowing that you’re going to die seems cruel to the woman you married.
[/quote]

I don’t know that he did know he was going to die young.
“Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” Luke 22:42
In the garden Jesus had a pretty clear view of God’s will for him, but he still wasn’t absolutely sure. I don’t know that it is fair to say that Jesus knew at 20 that he was going to die at 33.

[quote=SFAgal03]Having a wife, in my opinion, would have distracted Jesus from the main focus. In fact, what would have been the point of Jesus marrying? It doesn’t even make sense.
[/quote]

It makes perfect sense to me. Jesus was sent to become human partially to experience what it is to live as a human. Marriage is a big part of the experience of living as a human.

JMJ

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Originally posted by Donna B

Did Jesus and Mary Magdelene marry?

I know this is not true. However, my mother saw a program on the History Channel. On it a Franciscan Friar said that it could be true. My mothers faith sways with the wind… so I need:

Please help.

Donna,

Donna B,

If Jesus had married Mary Magdalene, wouldn’t it have been noteworthy and written in the Scriptures? There wasn’t anything wrong with getting married or with describing it in the bible. Wives are mentioned in several places in the bible and so are weddings. Jesus had a lot of followers besides the original twelve. He was pretty “famous” in his time. If Jesus had been married, he would have had a wedding and someone would have written about it. The story for the time would have been much bigger than a Liz Taylor wedding today. Nowhere in the Scriptures or in any historical, non-biblical writings of the time, ever mentioned Jesus getting married, his wedding or having a wife. I believe this is just another example of anti-Catholic propaganda.

God Bless.

[/size][/font]

The History Channel should stick to history instead of mythology or revisionist feminist garbage.

Paul referenced Jesus’s celibacy.
Jesus and Mary Magdalene are mentioned several times in the Gospels. Yet they are never mentioned as married, betrothed, courting, etc. Peter’s mother-in-law is mentioned, Jesus’ mother, father (Joseph), cousins are mentioned. . .but not a wife. Jesus’s early years even have a mention. . .but no “wedding” or “married” years.

And, Angainor, Jesus KNEW who He was, and He KNEW what was going to happen (He IS the Second Person of the Trinity). His human nature wasn’t “unsure” at the time of the Agony in the Garden, His human nature required Him to pray perfectly to the Father, telling the Father what He wanted in His humanity but, you will note, completely deferring to “the Father’s WILL”.

And the “Eli, Eli, lama sabbacthani” which is so often used (My God, why have You forsaken Me) by unbelievers as a “proof” that Jesus was just a human being who didn’t fully KNOW He was God. . .turns out to be the start of Psalm 22 which ends in a triumphal hymn of praise to the God WHO HAS SAVED HIM and set Him in majesty. . .showing once again that Jesus fully knew Himself and fully participated AS GOD in the redemption of us, His people.

[quote=Tantum ergo]Paul referenced Jesus’s celibacy.
[/quote]

I did not know that. Where can I find that?

[quote=Tantum ergo]And, Angainor, Jesus KNEW who He was, and He KNEW what was going to happen (He IS the Second Person of the Trinity).
[/quote]

I have no doubt that from Jesus’ first breath to his last he was always looking to follow the Father’s will. I don’t know what it felt like to have Jesus’ divine nature, but I do know what it feels like to be human, and I believe Jesus was perfect man. Humans do not always possess certain knowledge of the Father’s will. Humans certainly cannot see into the future. Lacking those qualities are part of what makes humans human. If Jesus could see into the future, I don’t think I could call him perfectly human. He would be something else. No, I don’t think Jesus at 20 years old had a clear vision of his final fate.

[quote=Tantum ergo]His human nature wasn’t “unsure” at the time of the Agony in the Garden, His human nature required Him to pray perfectly to the Father, telling the Father what He wanted in His humanity
[/quote]

No, I think Jesus’ words were sincere. I don’t think he was play-acting being human. “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but your will be done”.

If you are willing? Jesus doesn’t know if the Father is willing, he has to ask in prayer. Yet not my will, but your will be done. Jesus’ will and the Father’s will are separate things.

[quote=SFAgal03]Being married while knowing that you’re going to die seems cruel to the woman you married.
[/quote]

Everyone knows they are going to die. I guess you mean you think it would be cruel to get married if you know you are going to die young. That brings up a deep ethical questions, especially in the new age of genetics. What about someone who had a genetic test that told them they have a high probability of develping an incurable illness in thier thirties? Is it cruel for that person to marry?

I think we should not put a value on a life based on the length of that life. Any of us could die young. What real difference does it make if you were to know you were going to die young?

[quote=Angainor]I did not know that. Where can I find that? If Jesus could see into the future, I don’t think I could call him perfectly human. He would be something else. No, I don’t think Jesus at 20 years old had a clear vision of his final fate.If you are willing? Jesus doesn’t know if the Father is willing, he has to ask in prayer. Yet not my will, but your will be done. Jesus’ will and the Father’s will are separate things
[/quote]

As far as what Jesus knew in his humanity, try Lk 2: 41-52. This is the “Finding in the temple.” This indicates that he knew, even at 12 years old, what he was about and who he was.
Marriage? Try Mt 19:12 "…and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven…"
As for Jesus’ prayer in the Garden, CCC #'s 534 and 612 and forward should answer any questions about that. Check out the marginal references, too.
As far as Jesus being married to Mary Magdeline, that comes straight out of the DaVinci Code. For a good refutation of all of that dross, read The DaVinci Hoax my Olson & Meisel. DaVinci Code is fiction, and bad fiction at that (I know, I read it), but it made megabucks, so, of course, everyone from the History channel to Reader’s Digest is hopping on the band wagon.
NOTE to Angainor: If you’re Catholic, investigate your statements in the Catechism or other Catholic source before you write, “I think…” or “I don’t think…” The truth is there.
If you’re not Catholic, consider it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.