Did Jesus Christ know he was divine?

My friend who is currently sponsoring an RICA candidate said that she was told that Christ didn’t know that he was divine.
What does all this mean? Jesus Christ made it quite plain in various parts of the bible that he is God.

Please reply.

I’m not terribly theological but how could God not know He is God? I would assume He knew from His birth. True God and True Man.

I’m sure you will get much better from others.

It means some people are seriously confused, and one hopes that they are not the ones teaching RCIA.

I don’t see how anyone who knows the OT in the least could misunderstand what Jesus was driving at when he said, “Before Abraham was, I AM.” (John 8:58) - using the very name that God gave to Moses when Moses asked who he should say was sending him… There are, of course, other references to make it pretty clear. It is a common belief from my experience but an untenable position.

As already stated - let’s hope it isn’t an RCIA teacher who is so blind. But, sadly, it would not be a great surprise.

Now the only-begotten Son of God embraced us in His infinite knowledge and undying love even before the world began. And that He might give a visible and exceedingly beautiful expression to this love, He assumed our nature in hypostatic union: hence - as Maximus of Turin with a certain unaffected simplicity remarks - “in Christ our own flesh loves us.”[156] But the knowledge and love of our Divine Redeemer, of which we were the object from the first moment of His Incarnation, exceed all that the human intellect can hope to grasp. For hardly was He conceived in the womb of the Mother of God, when He began to enjoy the Beatific Vision, and in that vision all the members of His Mystical Body were continually and unceasingly present to Him, and He embraced them with His redeeming love. O marvelous condescension of divine love for us! O inestimable dispensation of boundless charity! In the crib, on the Cross, in the unending glory of the Father, Christ has all the members of the Church present before Him and united to Him in a much clearer and more loving manner than that of a mother who clasps her child to her breast, or than that with which a man knows and loves himself.

– Servant of God Pope Pius XII, Encyclical Mystici Corporis (1943), #75.

this article discusses the topic of Christ’s knowledge in general:
newadvent.org/cathen/08675a.htm

Yes, Jesus know he was God. The gospels are full of references to this… When lost for 3 days, his response at age 12 was, “Did you not know that I must be about my Father’s house.” He responded later in his ministry by saying, “Before Abraham was, I AM”. At another part he said, “The Father & I are one.” We could go on, but this sounds like a person who know what he was about. So yes, Jesus knew he was God. I have heard one priest say he did not know he was God until he was on the Cross. He was wrong with this statement, and he remains in my prayers.
Deacon Ed B

The Catechism of the Catholic Church to the rescue:

**Christ’s soul and his human knowledge **

471 Apollinarius of Laodicaea asserted that in Christ the divine Word had replaced the soul or spirit. Against this error the Church confessed that the eternal Son also assumed a rational, human soul.

472 This human soul that the Son of God assumed is endowed with a true human knowledge. As such, this knowledge could not in itself be unlimited: it was exercised in the historical conditions of his existence in space and time. This is why the Son of God could, when he became man, “increase in wisdom and in stature, and in favor with God and man”, and would even have to inquire for himself about what one in the human condition can learn only from experience. This corresponded to the reality of his voluntary emptying of himself, taking “the form of a slave”.

473 But at the same time, this truly human knowledge of God’s Son expressed the divine life of his person. “The human nature of God’s Son, not by itself but by its union with the Word, knew and showed forth in itself everything that pertains to God.” Such is first of all the case with the intimate and immediate knowledge that the Son of God made man has of his Father. The Son in his human knowledge also showed the divine penetration he had into the secret thoughts of human hearts.

**474 **By its union to the divine wisdom in the person of the Word incarnate, Christ enjoyed in his human knowledge the fullness of understanding of the eternal plans he had come to reveal. What he admitted to not knowing in this area, he elsewhere declared himself not sent to reveal.

Thank God for the CCC!!!

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.