Did Jesus claim to be God in the bible?

Another very interesting topic that I would like to discuss. Can anyone provide biblical evidence for christ claiming to be God in the bible?

I don’t have all of the chapters and verses available at the moment, but there are places where Jesus said things we would think a bit cryptic but would have been clear to the people of his time, the most significant being, “before Abraham was, I am.” (John 8)

This question was discussed at length by Fr. Apostoli this week. "Where in the Bible does Jesus say that He is God?” You may want to spend some time viewing this program, rather than have any of us type out the many references.

youtube.com/watch?v=k9254hhT7xM

It’s quite clear in John 8:58 :

[NAB]

Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM.”

Simply knowing the quote by itself can still leave valuable insights undiscovered - many of which can be gained by watching Father Apostoli’s video recommended by Sirach2

Look at John 1:1. In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.

There are tons of references in the Bible.

Bible. With a capital “B.” Titles of books are always capitalized. The Bible should ALWAYS begin with “B.”

Yes, also, in John 14:9, He said: “He who has seen Me has seen the Father…”.

And John 10:30: “I and the Father are one.”

There are other verses too revealing that Jesus is the Second Person of the Holy Trinity.

Due to some awful translations, it can be hard to find the true meaning in some Bible version texts.

Fortunately, my Bible has good translations, for the most part.

John the Baptist said, as written in John 1:30 -

"This is the one of whom I said: “He who comes after me ranks before me because He existed before me.”

The following old testament verses are to help provide some context:

Exodus 3:14
14 God said to Moses, “I AM WHO AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

Exodus 20:7
7 "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.

Leviticus 24:16
16 He who blasphemes the name of the LORD shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him; the sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.

And here are some New Testament verses that reveal Christ’s divinity:

Matthew 16:16-17
16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.”

John 5:17-18
17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father is working still, and I am working.”
18 This was why the Jews sought all the more to kill him, because he not only broke the sabbath but also called God his Father, making himself equal with God.

John 8:23
23 He said to them, “You are from below,**I am from above **; you are of this world, I am not of this world.”

John 8:57-59
57 The Jews then said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?”
58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”
59 So they took up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple.

John 10:30-33
30 I and the Father are one."
31 The Jews took up stones again to stone him.
32 Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of these do you stone me?”
33 The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we stone you but for blasphemy; because you, being a man, make yourself God.”

John 10:38
38 but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father."

John 12:45
45 “And he who sees me sees him who sent me.”

John 14:9
9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; how can you say, 'Show us the Father?”

John 18:6
6 When he said to them, “I am he,” they drew back and fell to the ground.

Mark 14:61-64
61But he was silent and made no answer. Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?”
62And Jesus said, “I am; and you will see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven.”
63And the high priest tore his clothes, and said, “Why do we still need witnesses?
64You have heard his blasphemy. What is your decision?” And they all condemned him as deserving death.

John 20:28-29
28 Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”
29 Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe.”

Even if the language used by Jesus may seem cryptic to us in the modern day, the Jews of the time understood what Jesus was claiming in these statements and they accused Him of blasphemy and tried to stone Him and sought to put him to death. It is by their reaction that we can see the true gravity behind His words.

Instead of denying or correcting Thomas and his crystal clear assertion that Jesus is God, Jesus instead praises him for his belief and even more those that believe this without having seen.

Actually every time He calls Himself “the Son of Man” He is referring to a prophecy in Daniel about Him coming down from heaven to earth.

:thumbsup: first one I thought of…

I think overall there are three places in the bible where jesus makes ambigious claims:

Believe in God; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”

5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know** my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
I think Jesus here is not claiming to be divine. The passage starts with a plea to his disciples to believe in God and Jesus. Then Jesus is talking about his spiritual journey (to heaven) but the disciples are confused so thomas says they dont know where he is going and how to get there. So Jesus replies that he is the way to heaven and God (as in follow his teachings). Jesus says anyone who knows Jesus and his teachings also knows the father. Then philip asks well why dont you show us God. Of course this is impossible so Jesus says anyone who seen Jesus has seen the father and finishes off by saying how can you ask to see the father (as if you understand jesus and his teachings you also understand the father)**

John 10:30 me and my father are one.

This is the context:
2 Now it was the Feast of Dedication in Jerusalem, and it was winter. 23 And Jesus walked in the temple, in Solomon’s porch. 24 Then the Jews surrounded Him and said to Him, “How long do You keep us in doubt? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.”

25 Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father’s name, they bear witness of Me. 26 But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you.[a] 27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.”

Jesus here is telling the Jews about his followers and that because the father is greater than all no one can misguide Jesus’ followers as Jesus and God have the same mission.

And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth.

51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.

52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

53 Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?

54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:

55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.

56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?

58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Jesus i think is talking about a pre existence here that before abraham was appointed as a prophet Jesus was with God. In Jeremiah 1:5 i knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations." A similiar message is given to Jeremiah that before God sent Him to earth he knew him.

Jesus also says that Abraham saw Jesus in a pre existence and rejoiced seeing Jesus.

I just want to point out that your assertions are very similar to the 4th century Arians who denied Jesus’ divinity and who used similar logic to “prove” that Jesus was not the true God but instead the greatest created being by God. This flawed interpretation of Scripture is contrary to what the Apostolic and post-Apostolic Fathers of the Church taught (and has since been taught to this day). It all comes down to: who has the authority to authentically interpret Scripture when there is theological disagreement? Jesus clearly gave the apostles and their successors authority to lead and teach the Church (Matt 16:19, Matt 28:19,20). My question to you is why do you not believe what the Church teaches (and has always taught) on this topic?

^^^ This! :thumbsup:

Not all proof is in the bible !! the word of God began through Jesus, he taught his disciples and later came the bible !!! you sound a bit protestant ;).

:thumbsup: Exactly. The New Testament is like the CliffsNotes version of what Jesus left us. He didn’t write a book; He founded a Church. We have 2000 years of refinement of understanding Jesus.

If you use only the CliffsNotes, you will have a general picture of the message or a decent summary, but if you want to truly understand the teachings in entirety, you have to go to the source material that the CliffsNotes were derived from: the Church

The New Testament is like the CliffsNotes version of what Jesus left us. He didn’t write a book; He founded a Church. We have 2000 years of refinement of understanding Jesus.

I have to disagree with this. When the bible was standardised at the council of Nicea in 325, bishops and church fathers from all over the world attended and discussed what was inspired and what was to be thrown out as outside the line of scripture. For me anything that is in the 73 chapters take precedence over any priest, bishop or church father. For deeper explainations we can study the commentry of the chapters but no other source should be used if it contradicts the bible.

This is your serious error, and it has Protestant overtones.

Dei Verbum from Vatican II is a Dogmatic Constitution … meaning, that it holds the highest authority in the Church’s teaching office. Please understand well Chapter 10.

But the task of authentically interpreting the word of God, whether written or handed on, has been entrusted exclusively to the living teaching office of the Church, whose authority is exercised in the name of Jesus Christ. This teaching office is not above the word of God, but serves it,** teaching only what has been handed on**, listening to it devoutly, guarding it scrupulously and explaining it faithfully in accord with a divine commission and with the help of the Holy Spirit, it draws from this one deposit of faith everything which it presents for belief as divinely revealed.

It is clear, therefore, that sacred tradition, Sacred Scripture and the teaching authority of the Church, in accord with God’s most wise design, are so linked and joined together that one cannot stand without the others, and that all [three] together and each in its own way under the action of the one Holy Spirit contribute effectively to the salvation of souls.

Catholics understand this and never put the Scriptures alone without the teaching authority of the Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.