Did jesus copy from the torah?

Hello everyone

I would like to know if Jesus copied from the torah, meaning that he had a copy of the old testament at hand and decided to do everything that the prophets were describing. This came to mind since It seemed too perfect for him to fufill the predictions perfectly. I'm just curious if this might happened. I originally thought that this was not the case since the dead sea scrolls were hidden away and the jews didn't have the whole old testament at hand however i'm probably wrong about this so this is why i'm asking this. Thanks!;)

I'm not sure you fully thought that out before you typed it. Are you suggesting he some how got others to behave in a manner that would fulfill what was predicted? Like convince a mob of people to crucify you? Or convince blind people that they can see? Water into wine? Where to cast the nets? To fool everyone around you yet live a seemingly sinless life? Its not possible

I was talking about things like coming into Jerusalem on a donkey or being a descendant of David.

Hi S.,

When God makes a prediction it can also be a command. Thus in Luke 1, when Mary says that all generations shall call her blessed, we must also understand that prediction as as a command to honor her. Jesus knew that he was sent by the Father to die, resurrect and found the Church. Those predictions were about him and it was his duty to fulfil them in every detail. So, yes, he could have scanned the bible for predictions about him, but I don't think it was necessary. Being God himself, he had direct access to the source of all knowledge.

Does this answer your question?

Verbum

Verbum

No, He didn't. He fulfilled all of the prophecies of the Messiah because He is the Messiah.

There are a few prophecies that any man in the line of David could have engineered. Then there are also several prophecies that a human being (not the true Son of God) would not have had any control over, such as the place of his birth, being born/living at the correct time period, whether the Romans nailed his hands and feet, did not break his legs (this was unusual), and gambled for his clothes, etc., and the earthquake and darkness at his death. There are many more, but these are a few examples.

HTH.

[quote="Sneaglebob, post:1, topic:320763"]
Hello everyone

I would like to know if Jesus copied from the torah, meaning that he had a copy of the old testament at hand and decided to do everything that the prophets were describing. This came to mind since It seemed too perfect for him to fufill the predictions perfectly. I'm just curious if this might happened. I originally thought that this was not the case since the dead sea scrolls were hidden away and the jews didn't have the whole old testament at hand however i'm probably wrong about this so this is why i'm asking this. Thanks!;)

[/quote]

Obviously Jesus didn't walk all over the place toting a bulky Torah scroll in one hand! :p No, the Jews - even those who could not read - would have basically known their Scriptures. Even if not exactly word-for-word, they would have probably had a very good grasp of it. It was the history of their people, after all.

Hello everyone

I would like to know if Jesus copied from the torah, meaning that he had a copy of the old testament at hand and decided to do everything that the prophets were describing.

[/quote]

There were no printing presses. It took years to copy the Scriptures by hand and consequently virtually no one without enough money to comission a copy could afford one. Amazingly, virtually all observant Hebrews memorized the scriptures.

Hello everyone

[/quote]

Jesus is the Word of God which is eternal and always was with God:

John:1:1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2: The same was in the beginning with God.
3: All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4: In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Therefore Moses, Noah, Abraham Isaac and Jacob, King David the prophets where communicating with the Lord, (the Word of God, in the Presence of God) long before the Word of God in the Presence of God was revealed in the flesh. It was through Him, that we now know as Jesus the Christ that the Law was given. He didn’t adopt the law, He gave the Law that only He is qualified to fulfill.

Hello everyone

[/quote]

No, he didn't...but the writers of the gospels did and "tailored" the gospels along those lines as the Torah was read each sabbath and feast day....the gospels...at least the synopics...to "coordinate" the stories of Jesus to "compliment" the faith stories of Israel and it's celebrations.

[quote="Publisher, post:9, topic:320763"]
No, he didn't...but the writers of the gospels did and "tailored" the gospels along those lines as the Torah was read each sabbath and feast day....the gospels...at least the synopics...to "coordinate" the stories of Jesus to "compliment" the faith stories of Israel and it's celebrations.

[/quote]

They did so ... at direction/inspiration of H.S. So that the OT, was fulfilled in the New ... in ways we can appreciate, having Testaments that confirm Christ's Word.

Hello everyone

[/quote]

Lets acknowledge, the Torah was revealed Word of God. If Christ 'copied' it .... it was because he first wrote / inspired it. Even the scribes / pharisees were amazed at Jesus' ability to quote/explain OT scripture to them ... at very young age.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.