Did Jesus deny being a God?

copyed from one site:

LUKE 18:19 Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is God

LUKE 2:52 Jesus grew in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and men.

JOHN 8:42 I proceeded forth and came from God, neither came I of myself but he sent me.

Matt 24:36 But of that day and hour no man know, not the angels which are in heaven, nor the son, but only the father. But God knows all, since Jesus does not know of the day of judgment he is not all-knowing and therefore not God
Although Jesus performed miracles he admitted that his power was not his own

John 5:19 I can of mine own self do nothing

Matt 12:28 I case out devils by the spirit of God

Luke 22:43 An angel appeared to Jesus and strengthened him

God does not have a God but Jesus did have a God.

Jon 20:17 I ascend unto my father and your father, and to my God and your God.

Matt 27:46 My God My God why hast thou forsaken me?

Luke 6:12 One day Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray and spent the night praying to God.

Hebrews 5:7 During Jesus days on earth, he offered prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him.

God does not lose power and if someone drains him of power he would know who had done it.

Mark 5: 25-32 When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, because she thought, If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed. Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering. At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, Who touched my clothes? But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it.

God is an invisible spirit but Jesus was flesh and blood.

John 1:18 No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only.

No one is greater than God and no one can direct him But Jesus acknowledged someone greater than himself.

John 14:28 My father is greater than I.

That is copyed from one site. I am not the author of this. I just want to hear a Christian explanation.

Jesus’ claim to be light is a claim to be God.

*As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. (John 9:5)

I have come as light into the world, that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. (John 12:46)*

Jesus claims to be light many times in John’s Gospel. In the book of Revelation it says that God will be the light.

And night shall be no more; they need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they shall reign for ever and ever. (Revelation 22:5)

In the beginning of the Bible God separated light from darkness on the first day but creates the sun on the fourth day. How can there be light for three days without the sun? This is because God himself is the light.

When Jesus says, “I am light” it is a very Jewish way of saying “I am God”.

-Tim-

Jesus said that he was greater than the Temple. The only thing greater than the temple was God who dwelt in the Temple.

Jesus said that he was Lord of the Sabbath. The only one who could be Lord of the Sabbath is God who created the sabbath and gave it to man.

Jesus’ breathing on someone would have been a crystal clear sign that he is God for Jews who understood the Hebrew scriptures and understood the Hebrew word for breath - ruah.

The Jews would have understood Jesus’ walking on water this way. Moses, Joshuah and Elisha parted the water and walked through it but Jesus walked on it. Similarly, Jesus’ statement to the Samaritan woman that he would give her water would have been clear that he was claiming to be God to anyone who understood the Biblical metaphors of water, life, etc.

There are many, many more references like this, but we have to think like first century Jews to be able to hear past the words we read.

-Tim-

God became flesh and blood. That’s what the Bible says.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father. (John 1:1,14)

We call God becoming flesh and blood the incarnation. The God who became incarnate lived among us. The disciples beheld God incarnate with their eyes, touched God incarnate with they hands, ate with God incarnate, walked with him and he taught them. The incarnate God had a name - Jesus.

When the disciples looked at, touched and listened to Jesus they saw, felt and heard God because Jesus was God in the flesh. That’s what the bible says.

-Tim-

I would suggest you check out the commentary notes on those verses given at the following site.
haydock1859.tripod.com/

With some of the verses it is obvious the verse is referring to Jesus’ human nature - eg. “…grew in wisdom and stature…” (A human nature is not as great as a divine nature.) So, the point to keep in mind is that while God the Son was incarnate here on earth, He acted primarily through a/His human nature.

There is a hierarchy within the Trinity even though all three persons are consubstantial. For example, the Father sends the Son, the Son is the Word of God (logos), the Holy Spirit proceeds the Father and the Son. So, in that light, Jesus can say that the “Father is greater than I” and I will go back to the Father, my God and your God. The triune God is one but there are three distinct persons and each has their role within the Godhead. We must take into account the many things that Jesus said that confirms His divinity. He also says, “Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. The Father and I are one.”

Only God can redeem a fallen humanity because the sins of man are offensive to God and nothing less than God Himself could ever redeem us. That is why He sent His only begotten Son to reconcile the world to Himself.

Keeping in mind the nature of the Trinity and that Jesus indeed claimed to be God we must see that the statements that you presented are listed and not to be taken as the full revelation of God. Jehovah’s Witnesses will do this to show their “certainty” that Jesus is not God all while ignoring the explicit passages that say otherwise. Context is everything when understanding scripture. And coupled with context is the understanding of the times and people that Jesus encountered. They understood Him to say that He was God and that is why in many instances they picked up stones to throw at Him.

Anyway, I hope this helps and understanding that Jesus is truly God is the only way that we can have the Eucharist. If Jesus were a mere man then we have only bread and wine. Only God can perpetuate the very salvific act that He offered us as His supreme gift. God bless you.

Here’s a sample of what you’ll find at the above Haydock website (on John 5:19):

Ver. 19. The Son cannot do any thing of himself,[5] but what he seeth the Father do. In like manner, (ver. 30.) Christ says, I can do nothing of myself. As I hear, so I judge. Again (Chap. viii. 28.) I do nothing of myself; but as the Father hath taught me, I speak these things. All these, and the like expressions, may be expounded, with Maldonatus and Petavius, (lib. ii. de Trin. chap. 4.) of Christ, as man. But the ancient Fathers commonly allowed them to be understood of Christ as God, and as the true Son of God proceeding from him from all eternity; as when it is said, the Son cannot do any thing of himself, it is true, because the eternal Son is not of himself, but always proceeds from the Father. 2. Because the works of all the three Persons, by which all things are produced and preserved, are inseparable. 3. When it is said, that the Son doth nothing, but what he seeth the Father doing: that he heareth, as the Father hath taught him, or shewed to him: these expressions bear not the same sense as when they are applied to men, or to an inferior or a scholar, who learns of his master, and follows him; but here, says St. Augustine, to see, to hear, to be taught by the Father, is no more than to proceed from him, to do and produce by the same action, all that the Father doth and produceth. This is the general interpretation of the ancient Fathers: St. Athanasius, St. Basil, St. Gregory of Nazianzus, St. Chrysostom, St. Cyril, St. Ambrose, St. Augustine. The words immediately following, confirm this exposition, when it is said: For what things soever he (the Father) doth, these also in like manner the Son doth, i.e. the very same things by an unity of nature, of will, and of action: nor could these words be true, unless the Son was the same true God with the Father. (Witham) — This must be understood, that he cannot do any thing contrary to the will of the Father. He does not say, “The Son does nothing of himself, but the Son can do nothing of himself, in order to shew their likeness and perfect equality.” For by saying this, he does not betray any want of power in the Son; but, on the contrary, shews his great power. For when we say that God cannot sin, we do not esteem it a want of power; so when the Son says he cannot do any thing of himself, his meaning is, that he cannot do any thing contrary to the will of the Father; which certainly is a great perfection. (St. Chrysostom, hom. xxxvii. in Joan.)

LUKE 18:19 Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is God.

Here he is actually affirming the disciples’ belief that he is God.

LUKE 2:52 Jesus grew in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and men.

Christ, being 100% human and 100% divine had to grow up like everyone else. Certain wisdom was withheld from Christ’s human self that he was to come to know when he was older.

JOHN 8:42 I proceeded forth and came from God, neither came I of myself but he sent me.

God is God of Christ’s human nature.

Matt 24:36 But of that day and hour no man know, not the angels which are in heaven, nor the son, but only the father. But God knows all, since Jesus does not know of the day of judgment he is not all-knowing and therefore not God
Although Jesus performed miracles he admitted that his power was not his own

Relates to certain knowledge being withheld from Christ’s human nature.

John 5:19 I can of mine own self do nothing

Christ is part of the Trinity, one God, three persons.

Matt 12:28 I case out devils by the spirit of God

Christ is God, so he can send out the Holy Spirit.

Luke 22:43 An angel appeared to Jesus and strengthened him

Christ, in his human self, can experience weakness, like when he asked God the Father to prevent him from having to die on the Cross unless it was God’s will that he was to do so.

God does not have a God but Jesus did have a God.

Christ’s human nature was a creation by God, so God didn’t have a God, but Christ, in his human nature, did. Remember, Christ is both fully human and fully divine.

Jon 20:17 I ascend unto my father and your father, and to my God and your God.

Again, human vs. divine nature.

Matt 27:46 My God My God why hast thou forsaken me?

Reference to Psalm 22, look it up.

Luke 6:12 One day Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray and spent the night praying to God.

Again, human vs. divine nature.

Hebrews 5:7 During Jesus days on earth, he offered prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him.

Same as above.

God does not lose power and if someone drains him of power he would know who had done it.

What?

** Mark 5: 25-32 When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, because she thought, If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed. Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering. At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, Who touched my clothes? But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it.

God is an invisible spirit but Jesus was flesh and blood.**

And? Christ was both human and divine.

**John 1:18 No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only.

No one is greater than God and no one can direct him But Jesus acknowledged someone greater than himself.**

No one has seen God in his true essence.

John 14:28 My father is greater than I.

Isn’t a father greater than their son?

You need to stop looking at those Muslim sites, or Jehovah’s Witnesses, or whichever you are reading. It is putting you at risk because you do not yet fully understand the Catholic faith.

I think the short answer to your question is that Christ never denied His divinity, but He sometimes avoided answering directly. He was aware that He would be crucified someday but He needed to delay that until His mission on earth was done.

Why are you reading heretical writings? Is it that you have already mastered all the teachings of the Magisterium, the sermons of the Fathers, the writings of the Doctors?

Concerning the mindset of Christ on such matters, Paul teaches:

being in the form of God, did not count equality with God something to be grasped.

But he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, becoming as human beings are; and being in every way like a human being, he was humbler yet, even to accepting death, death on a cross.

I can recall three occasions in which Christ openly professed His divinity. Let these wise men who made that website refute these, if they dare.

Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.

The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son of God.” Jesus replied, "You have said it. …]

The Jews answered [Pilate]: We have a law; and according to the law he ought to die, because he made himself the Son of God. …]

Hereupon therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he…said God was his Father, making himself equal to God.

Thomas answered, and said to him: “My Lord, and my God!”

Jesus saith to him: “Because you have seen me, Thomas, you have believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and have believed.”

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.