Did Jesus die on the cross

I am asking this as I watched something about did Jesus die on the cross the other night.
I know I shouldn’t watch negative things as I am struggling with my faith and I feel even worse after watching it but curiosity gets the better of me as I am searching for answers.

The program suggested that Jesus was drugged by the sponge with vinegar they gave him on the cross and that he may not of been clinically dead and that when he was in his tomb a couple of guys took some stuff in there, one being a herb which is used for healing not embalming. They said he may of fled east and not west to avoid being re captured and lived and died in his 80’s in a place where the Buddhas live. They showed you the place where he is buried and an imprint outside the tomb of his feet with the marks of the nails.
They also say he may of been brought up there as they say he lived there from the age of 14 and was taught by the Buddhas and returned before his 30’s. The reason he lived there is they say that is where the three wise men came from. Something to do with Buddhas scripture or something like that.

The other thing that some people were saying is that the knights Templars found Jesus bones in Jerusalem and took them back to France and hid them in fear of the church.

Another thing someone said is that he settled in France with Mary maddalin and may of had a blood line.

Please I don’t want to upset anyone but I wanted to know if someone can answer these things for me with some kind of proof and not reading between the lines with scripture.
I am converting to catholic as i think thats what i should of been but the reformation changed it for me and I am also trying my best with faith and I now feel downhearted.

Many thanks in advance.

I do not know what else to say but: Jesus was never taught by Buddhas. Jesus and Mary Magdalene never had a child. Jesus’ bones were never found. Jesus died on the cross, was placed in the tomb, and resurrected three days later.

Do not worry yourself with such theories that try to shake your faith. Stay strong, and keep your faith in the Lord.

The Romans were past masters at executing criminals.
If you’ll remember, a Roman soldier thrust a spear into Christ (this would have been a long angle, from beneath – think transection of the abdominal aorta, heart, lungs and other great vessels, not to mention multiple intestinal perforations) to guarantee He was, indeed, dead.
Crucifixion – even with oral narcotic – is not a survivable event.
A Roman soldier, professional at running a yard of sharpened steel into an opponent with terminal result, is not likely to have made a non-lethal thrust.
I am more than satisfied the Christ was indeed dead of multiple non-survivable conditions when dismounted from the cross.

First let me just say: the Catholic Faith does not ask us to close our minds or be unreasonable; its the most reasonable religion in history, if you look at the body of written philosophy it created.

However, it unites reason with faith, and the theological virtue of faith is the first step.

Ask yourself: is there some reason that these talking-head on television with their new ideas are more trustworthy than the Catholic Church, which has preached the Gospel for2013 years?

I will pray that God strengthens your faith, and I suggest you read the book *Made for More *by Curtis Martin, which will address your doubts directly with history and science and philosophy in an easy-to-read way.

Even if one could survive crucifixion (the whole point of it is to kill the person; albeit slowly), they would be crippled beyond belief. There is no way He could have then walked to Nepal or India. Or anywhere for that matter.

He resurrected and appeared to many people over the course of 40 days before His ascension. Additionally the scriptures record that he said on the cross into your hands i commit my spirit. He had to willingly die, once God’s wrath for our sins was complete upon His body because sin is what causes the body to die.

Jesus not only died, but likely endured more pain and suffering than a normal human can bear. He could not die because he had no sin. The sweat turning to blood is an actual medical condition caused by severe stress and the people who endure it typically die.

The scourging of Jesus could have killed Him too, but again sinless therefore incorruptible. Most people died from a scourging. 40 lashes was considered an execution, so scourging victims often received 39.

And after all this he had to carry his cross and was then was crucified for hours.

Jesus assuredly died.

Since the earliest days of Christianity various groups and individuals have put forth these ideas in efforts to deny the divinity of Jesus the resurrection etc. Any one of the points can be argued. There are cases, of people surviving crucifixion for example. Whole very rare it did happen. Josephus the noted historian mentioned two that he knew.The Gnostics for example had numerous theories which explained why Jesus did not die and in fact could not die.

In the end result.there is no definitive verifiable proof available one way or the other

Sorry. You will either believe or you won t.

That’s the way it is and the way it always has been.

Oh by the way you didn’t t mention the one where Jesus followers stole His body from the tomb were surprised and killed by Soldiers who threw the bodies into a garbage dump where they were eaten by wild dogs. That’s a fairly recent one.:thumbsup:

:rotfl:

Even secular historians are pretty unanimous that Christ died on the cross.

Jesus died on the cross. Was buried. Rose after three days and ascended into heaven.

GK CHESTERTON was right
"Men who believe nothing will believe anything."

In fact I really do want to make the point about how important this tenant of our faith is.

If Jesus did not die on the cross our faith could be said to “not work”. You see it is by his life and death that we are saved. His life by showing us how to make ourselves more like himself. His life also contains his many wonderful signs and sayings all of which show him to be the Son of God.

In his death he shows us how truly human and divine he was. In his death he takes onto himself all of our sins. He gives himself over to God as a perfect and pure sacrifice. The reason he does this is to redeem our fallen nature which we alone can’t do. So when Jesus gives himself up he goes to die for all of us. As such he died for you because of how much he loves you. At the moment of his death and three days after there are more signs. They show us that he Jesus Christ the Son of Man has beaten both death and sin. His death and glorious resurrection make our beautiful faith what it is. You see God loved you much he died to save you.

Read the Bible and learn what he got up to.

May the love the Lord be your strength and his Mother’s mantle they protection****

Let’s see…He was beaten, whipped, crowned with thorns, hadn’t slept or even rested for at least 24 hours…had carried the cross…Nails were driven through his hands and feet…he hung there for three hours…and as if this were not enough…Note this.
33 but when they came to Jesus and saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. 34 But one of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and at once there came out blood and water. (John 19)
Now - are we to believe that this soldier inflicted a relative pinprick with this lance or did he drive it in…puncturing who knows what? Consider the angle that the soldier would have been at. Consider that the entire purpose was to make sure that he was dead. Medical types have said that the water was probably an indication that the lance punctured the sac around the heart. This stroke was intended to confirm that he was dead, and if he was not…That he would be.

So then we are supposed to believe that later…“a couple of guys” show up at the tomb with a “healing herb” and fix him all up???

Those who seek to discredit the faith will say most anything…They just play the “what if” game in the hopes of planting some doubt.

Peace
James

The empirical evidence tor death in cruxifiction is overwhelming.
hearsay from an alleged hidtorisn 70 years after the fact.
seems to lack emperical proof.
Especially coming from an enemy of Christainity.
A small group of itererant preachers weakened by the murder of there leader fearfull of their own impending destruction.
hated by the religious leaders of their people
Led by a guilt ridden fisherman who had denied the man he had sworn to follow managed to pull this off.Losing their lives in the process.

You tell me were they got the faith to succeed.

Did you watch this on the Discovery or History Channels? They’re good as disseminating outright falsehoods about Christ and Christianity, especially around Christmas or Easter. They’re also fond of programs about the so-called “Banned from the Bible!!!” books.These are heretical writings which the Church has rejected. Don’t base your religious beliefs on what you see on the Discovery or History channels.

Agreed - they are not reliable.

I was going to suggest this as well; I have seen many so-called “Bible debunking” specials advertised on either channel.

Many thanks for all your replies.
Thanks for the book you have recommended Rich, I shall buy a copy of that.
Someone recorded it, I think it was the discovery channel.
Hi Gus, I do believe, I have just gotten myself all confused and disheartened trying to gain faith and trying to understand. Maybe I am not ready to look at the negative stuff as I obviously don’t have true faith which by the way frustrates me as I want to fully open my heart to God. I do pray and ask him for his help :slight_smile:

There was one more thing they said which I forgot to ask and that is that in the gospel of Mark, he ended it with Jesus death and the resurrection was added a couple of hundred years later. The same was with the other Gospels.

Many thanks again for all your time and help its very much appreciated.

Many thanks for all your replies.
Thanks for the book you have recommended Rich, I shall buy a copy of that.
Someone recorded it, I think it was the discovery channel.
Hi Gus, I do believe, I have just gotten myself all confused and disheartened trying to gain faith and trying to understand. Maybe I am not ready to look at the negative stuff as I obviously don’t have true faith which by the way frustrates me as I want to fully open my heart to God. I do pray and ask him for his help :slight_smile:

There was one more thing they said which I forgot to ask and that is that in the gospel of Mark, he ended it with Jesus death and the resurrection was added a couple of hundred years later. The same was with the other Gospels.

Many thanks again for all your time and help its very much appreciated.

Then why did Paul in his letters (some written before the Gospels) talk about us being buried with Christ and also rising with Christ…Paul speaks of the resurrection…

For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. (1 Th 4:14)

3 the gospel concerning his Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh 4 and designated Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord, (Romans 1:4)

For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. (Romans 6:5)

Peace
James

Thank you for that James. I didn’t know the letters were written before the gospels.

That’s it from now on, I will stick to the positive stuff from now on and spend my time studying the bible more and also trusted sources.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.