Did Jesus drink?

A Fundamentalist has claimed that Jesus was ‘obviously against’ drinking and cites the wedding at Cana as her example. Her reasoning is that Christ did not partake and was against drinking of alcohol, yet performed the miracle anyway. Is Jesus’ repudiation of drinking alcohol Biblical cuz it sure ain’t logical…

That certainly appears to be the case:

Mt. 26:26-29:

Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I shall not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”

The “fruit of the vine” is wine. “Again” implies that he drank it before.

Regarding Cana, is your friend implying that Jesus, who is God, would actually perform the miracle of changing water into a fine wine, knowing that people would drink it, and thus do an evil act? If so, she is absolutely wrong. God is all good, and he would never encourage us to do what is sinful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.