Did Jesus go through Spiritual Dryness?

If so, would you mind sharing with me where in the scripture it says so. I’m still going through a period of spiritual dryness, and it would comfort me to know that he shared this burden. I also heard Mother Teresa went through most of her life in dryness and doubting God’s existence. Why do you think God left Mother Teresa dry?

One example that springs to mind, is Matthew 27:46 “My God, my God, Why Have You Forsaken me?”

I hesitate to say that Jesus went through spiritual “Dryness” in the sense that we often understand the concept, but certainly the time of temptation in the desert could qualify. Likewise during the passion as he hung on the cross and cried out “My God my God, why have you forsaken me” we might surmise s sense of abandonment…
But this is followed then by a commitment to trust…“Into Your hands I commend my spirit”.

Can’t think of any others…

I’m still going through a period of spiritual dryness, and it would comfort me to know that he shared this burden. I also heard Mother Teresa went through most of her life in dryness and doubting God’s existence. Why do you think God left Mother Teresa dry?
Spiritual dryness can have many reasons. I cannot speak to the why’s of any individual’s journey but we can draw certain generalities about spiritual dryness and other challenges.
Dryness can occur in one of two ways. It can be because we are not allowing ourselves to be open to God, or it can be because God is inviting us to move closer to Him - that is to trust more in Him and not just in consolations that we receive from time to time.
There can also be an aspect where “familiarity” causes certain small and common consolations to lose their impact on us.
As an analogy…Say it is wintertime and as you stand in your house, you think…“It’s a bit chilly in here”. Then you go outside for a few minutes…where it is quite cold…and when you come back inside you think, “Oh it’s nice and warm in here”.
The temperature in the house has not changed, but your recognition and appreciation for it has.

The way to combat this is to cultivate the appreciative heart - also called the grateful heart. Make gratitude and thankfulness the center of your prayer.
Also - rather than seeking after consolations (not that these are not appreciated), seek instead “work” for you hands and heart so that the Glory of God might be shown to the world.

Lastly - I would suggest that one possibility for Mother Teresa’s dryness was because she kept nothing for herself. She gave consolations away so quickly and so completely that she was unable to recognize that it was ever in her possession.
This may or may not be a good thing. It may or may not be something that we are able to emulate. But it is one possibility to explain this (apparent) dryness.

Peace
James

I second that one. and feel that God revels in the soul that has faith and prays fervently during periods of dryness. The drier the better.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.