Did Jesus Laugh, Joke, etc

Being fully human (and divine) I have to believe he did. I wonder why there is not one instance of it in Scripture. Could it not have been used in a positive way?

I’m sure he laughed and joked around with his friends just the same as we would. It probably wasn’t mentioned simply because it wasn’t relevant to what the evangelists wanted to convey in the gospels.

Yes, when jesus was interacting with the children.

We recall his banter with woman at the well.

Why just with children?

It’s in the bible. He rebuked the disciples for scaring the children away

Hi!

…there are lots of things that are not included in Scriptures…

No one knows how athletic Jesus was… or how good of a carpenter or how much gold the Magi brought Him and what happened to it or if Jesus had a preferred food…

What Scriptures do tell us are things that are particular to Jesus’ Ministry as it pertains to God’s Salvific Plan…

There are several intimations that St. John the Evangelist was the Disciple loved by Jesus… this places John on top of the world (the Master’s favorite); still, we only have the revelation that Jesus hanged around St. Peter and even paid his taxes–at least one time…

The importance, at least to me, of these passages is to demonstrate that while John was Jesus’ favorite (human comradery) Cephas was the Church–yeah, even though he was taken over by fear and denied the Master at the moment of Jesus’ travail.

Maran atha!

Angel

Can you imagine how much the furniture and other things Jesus made by woodworking, increased in value after his death on the cross?!!!

I think its likely once it became known he was who he claimed to be, all the tables, chairs, etc he had ever made suddenly became very popular and sought after, probably lots of forgeries sold under the ‘made by Jesus’ label too.

I have heard one account, written in in the 2nd century, of plows made by Jesus and his Father which were still ‘of quality’ and operating, signifying the hard work and quality the holy duo made in their time as carpenters.

I’d say of course he did.

I may be mistaken, but a friend of mine was telling me about a book he read about the personal life of Jesus and the many opinions scholars have had.

Some say that Jesus named James and John the “Sons of Thunder” because their mother was so loud :smiley:

Jesus and Joseph were more craftsmen than carpenters. There isn’t really a whole lot of wood to work with in Israel. They more than likely worked with stone.

I remember someone once saying that he figures Jesus and the Apostles had to have had some good times. Would they have followed Him if He was a boring drag?

Gives a bit of thought to the phrase “God must have a sense of humor.”

In Justin Martyr’s (AD 100-165) work, Dialogue with Trypho, chapter 88, he writes this:

‘And when Jesus came to the Jordan, He was considered to be the son of Joseph the carpenter; and He appeared without comeliness, as the Scriptures declared; and He was deemed a carpenter (for He was in the habit of working as a carpenter when among men, making ploughs and yokes; by which He taught the symbols of righteousness and an active life)’

I like this quote from Chesterton (it’s the final paragraph of his classic book, “Orthodoxy”):
“Yet He restrained something. I say it with reverence; there was in that shattering personality a thread that must be called shyness. There was something that He hid from all men when He went up a mountain to pray. There was something that He covered constantly by abrupt silence or impetuous isolation. There was some one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth; and I have sometimes fancied that it was His mirth.”*

We know He wept at the tomb of Lazarus. How could He not be able to laugh if He could weep?

Love the quote from Chesterton.~

I think he referred to Herod as a fox once. Something like “Tell that fox…” I don’t remember the exact words, but it had something to do with his miracles.

Actually foxes are cute, especially the Fennec Fox, with the big ears.

I really think Herod was more of a jackass.

I think you should go and read the gospels because you would find out that Jesus had a very good sense of humour, still does because he’s God especially when he talked to the Pharisees.

The Scriptures describe the Messiah as a “man of sorrows”.

We were all created in God’s image and with humor being such a major human emotion, I think God has a sense of humor too. I’d imagine Jesus joked around with his friends (appropriate humor). Nobody really likes/would follow a guy who was so serious that he never laughed at jokes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.