Did Jesus’ resurrection really prove his words as true?

I have a friend who claims that Jesus’ resurrection from the dead doesn’t prove that he is God. He says that the Pharaoh’s magicians in Exodus were able to copy some of the miracles that Moses did, yet they weren’t from God, so my friend uses this to try to prove that the resurrection could have been sort of like the magical tricks the magicians were doing. My friend also says that Jesus’ resurrection could have been a demonic power, meant to deceive us into believing that Jesus is God to cause us to worship Jesus, a man, instead of God. He says that the resurrection really happened, but not as a miracle from God, but rather a “miracle” from Satan to deceive.

How would I counter this?

Rolling your eyes might be a good start. :rofl:

Ask him to point to the place where the magicians actually resurrect someone from the dead. The final plague – the Passover, in which the first-born sons (including their proto-god, the pharaoh’s son) were killed, would be a good start.

(After all, the magicians were completely powerless against that plague, and that was the plague that finally caused Pharaoh to let the Jews leave.)

Let’s break down what he’s saying:

• Jesus taught that He is God
  • Jesus believed that God resurrected him from the dead
  • Jesus taught that His resurrection is of holy origin

The natural implication, then, is that:

• Jesus is lying (i.e., He knew it was from Satan, but is lying to us and telling us that His resurrection is of God)

• Jesus was deceived (Jesus thinks it’s from God, but He’s mistaken) – which means that Jesus isn’t God, either. So, again, it means that Jesus is lying to us about being God.

So, his argument is that Jesus has lied to us and isn’t God. And, his argument is based on no evidence whatsoever, but merely his own personal say-so.

I think I’ll trust Jesus over your friend. (Until, of course, he himself performs miracles and raises people from the dead, and resurrects himself.) :wink:

You do remember that Moses’/Aaron’s snake ate all the other snakes? Because God’s power was greater. Moses and Aaron were just following directions-- throw down your staff. God did all the work. Perhaps the Egyptian magicians were amazing illusionists. Or perhaps it was demon magic. But God’s power is always far greater than anyone who would pretend to copy him. Paul talks about counterfeit miracles.

The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

and Matthew has Jesus talking about it:

For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

and you bump into the idea in Revelation:

They are demonic spirits that perform signs, and they go out to the kings of the whole world, to gather them for the battle on the great day of God Almighty.

etc, etc, etc. So we agree that it could happen---- but you can’t just say, “Don’t order a milkshake, because there was that guy who put poison in his wife’s milkshake.” You have to look at the full context of the claim, who’s making the claim, is that person making the claim reliable and trustworthy; etc, etc, etc, as Gorgias was spelling out. If someone’s going to make up a fake resurrection and a fake God for us to worship, they’re probably not going to command us to “feed the hungry/give drink to the thirsty/clothe the naked/bury the dead/shelter the traveler/comfort the sick/ransom the captive/counsel the doubtful/instruct the ignorant/admonish the sinner/comfort the sorrowful/forgive injuries/bear wrongs patiently/pray for the living and the dead/love God above all things/love your neighbor as yourself.”

On a side note, did you ever read about the magician Dedi? His story was told in the Westcar Papyrus, and he was supposed to have lived during Khufu’s reign in the 4th Dynasty. There are certain things he is and isn’t allowed to do. You can compare the ancient Egyptian magicians to Christ and see how they’re operating on two different fields. Christ, for example, was limited in that he couldn’t work where there was no faith. Dedi, on the other hand, dealt in knowledge and the animal kingdom, but couldn’t bring harm to people, even if they were condemned criminals awaiting execution. It might have been Dedi, or someone else, but I do remember the King asking him to perform his miracle on his nephew, or a slave, or something, because he suspected it was an illusion, and the magician unable to comply-- he could only do bulls and geese and things.

This is just a small addition, but if the Resurrection were fake or the product of magic, doesn’t your friend think the apostles would have all gotten on the same page? They were in hiding because they, too, were afraid of being crucified.

And then there would be the problem of women as the first witnesses. Women were not reliable witnesses in first century Jerusalem. A trickster would have made a man, or men, the first witness(s). What about the fact that some of the witnesses did not immediately recognize Jesus? Clearly, the Risen body is different, in some ways, from the one we occupy now.

And how does your friend explain the changed behavior of the apostles? Prior to the Resurrection, they were in hiding, afraid, as stated above. After seeing the Risen Lord, they went about boldly, preaching the Gospel of the Lord. It seems to me, only a genuine resurrection could have produced that change in behavior.

Jesus never taught to worship him but to pray to the Father through him and that he would be raised by the Father. If this were a deception is was a failure.

Your friend sounds to be in grave danger of committing the unforgivable sin.

He’s calling a direct act of the Holy Spirit and the Father an act of the devil.

He is in jeopardy of eternal damnation…

Idk what else to say but to maybe fast and pray for him and try to convince him.

He’s saying some of the worst most blasphemous things a human can possibly say… very sad.

Jesus said to his disciples: ‘It is not those who say to me, “Lord, Lord,” who will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the person who does the will of my Father in heaven.

Tomorrow’s Gospel

Is your friend Catholic? Where is he coming from with this?

My friend isn’t Catholic. He believes in the supernatural but doesn’t adhere to any religion, he thinks all religions man has are wrong because he thinks man cannot possibly know supernatural truth.

Three questions for you – or him :wink: :

• Does he think that God can “possibly know supernatural truth”?
  • Does he think that God can desire to transmit this supernatural truth to humans?
  • Does he think that, given that He desires to transmit it, His will can be thwarted?

First of all, note that after a certain time, the magicians could not reproduce the magic of Moses, and were forced to admit that this was the finger of God at work (and also the miracles beforehand were greater by Moses).
Jesus uses a similar phrase referring to His Works.

It is believed that demons can only do præternatural miracles. They cannot do supernatural miracles, which are those only God can do.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.