Did Jesus rise on Saturday or Sunday?

I believe that Jesus rose on Sunday. However, a Messianic Jew friend of mine believes that He rose on Saturday evening at Sunset. She mentioned something about the dawn of the Sabbath but the dawn of the Sabbath would be Friday evening at Sunset if you’re talking about the Jewish Sabbath. This really makes no sense to me. Please help me refute her thinking.

Scripture Says Sunday Morning.

+1.

bible.ca/d-3-days-and-3-nights.htm

This has probably the most extensive analysis of the evidence for the Friday cruxifixion and Sunday resurrection I’ve found online. Just be careful of the rest of the site - it contains good info on Adventism for example, but is rabidly anti-Catholic - for the usual reason of misunderstanding Catholic teaching, and ignoring the biblical evidence for our beliefs.

RE: “Please help me refute her thinking”

I would have thought the truth would be more important than a thinking or belief.
I do not hold the answer but Mathew 28 does (as plain as day?).

Cheers

That answer is totally false. Jesus did not rise on a sunday or die on a Friday. in Matthew 12:39-40 tells us that" 39But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

40For as Jonas was THREE DAYS and THREE NIGHTS in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be THREE DAYS and THREE NIGHTS in the heart of the earth. There is no way that anyone can die on a Friday and rise on a sunday morning and this add up to three days and three nights. And since we know that God cannot lie, a sunday resurrection is impossible. He actually rose on Saturday evening he was already risen and walking around when they got to the tomb early sunday morning. Remember, that when they looked in the tomb it was empty.

Matthew 28:1-6 1In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

2And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.

3His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:

4And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.

5And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.

6HE IS NOT HERE: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

He actually rose on Saturday evening he was already risen and walking around when the got to the tomb sunday morning. Remember, that when they looked in the tomb was empty.

The phrase “three days and three nights” was a figure of speech in that era indicating some period of time, and didn’t necessarily mean 3 days and nights. We might compare it to the modern day coloquialism “month of Sundays”.
If that were not the case, Paul would have written "… and that He rose again the FOURTH day according to the Scriptures…"
But as we know, he wrote “the third day”.

The phrase “three days and three nights” was a figure of speech in that era indicating some period of time, and didn’t necessarily mean 3 days and nights. We might compare it to the modern day coloquialism “month of Sundays”.
If that were not the case, Paul would have written "… and that He rose again the FOURTH day according to the Scriptures…"
But as we know, he wrote “the third day”.

Since when does God use figures of speech and not MEAN WHAT HE SAYS!!! The Bible says that God’s word doesn’t return void. Please accept the facts throughout Christs’ life things He did during his ministry refered to the old testement. Jonas was in the belly of the whale 3 days and 3 nights not just 3 days. When he says He’ll open up the windows of heaven and pour you out a blessing that you’ll not have room enough to receive…that’s not a figure of speech. God states facts not figures of speech. We must accept God’s word as fact not just circumstantial.

Of course Jesus does as he promises.

But if you dispute the fact that “three days and three nights” wasn’t a loose manner of speech equivilent to the contemporary “two or three days”, you have a problem with Paul’s writing of “on the third day”.
Remember too that in Mat 25(?) , upon being reminded that Christ said He’d be entombed 3 days and 3 nites, Pilate ordered the tomb sealed only “until the third day”. If he had taken Christ’s words to mean literally 3 days and 3 nights, don’t you think he have ordered it sealed until the FOURTH day, or until AFTER the third day?

Regardless of atheists and non Christians citing prima facie evidence such as these “conflicting” verses as “evidence” scripture contradicts itself in their efforts to denounce Christianity, we know the bible doesn’t - being God’s word, it can’t. I think there is no other reconciliation between these verses other than the one I have offered. Is there another possible explanation to harmonize the verses?

In Esther 4: 16 the Jews were told by Esther to pray for her and not to eat and drink for three days and three nights, so did also Esther. In Esther 5:1, on the third day, Esther went to the palace to see the King.

This is one of the examples of “part of the day is considered one day” in the practices of the Jews.

During Jesus time, there were only 12 hours in a day (John 11: 9).
Crucification of Jesus happened on a Friday afternoon (Luke 23: 44). That was why the Jews would have to get the dead body of Jesus from the cross because the coming evening would be a preparation day for the Sabbath in the next morning (Luke 23: 54).

The story of Jonah, the three days and three nights, is not literal but a parallelism.

My Hebrew-Pentecostal friend,

The Gospel of John 19:31-42 describes the removal of the cross. I think you may have overlooked this my friend

31 Then the Jews, (because it was the parasceve,) that the bodies might not remain on the cross on the sabbath day, (for that was a great sabbath day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. 32 The soldiers therefore came; and they broke the legs of the first, and of the other that was crucified with him. 33 But after they were come to Jesus, when they saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. 34 But one of the soldiers with a spear opened his side, and immediately there came out blood and water. 35 And he that saw it, hath given testimony, and his testimony is true. And he knoweth that he saith true; that you also may believe.

36 For these things were done, that the scripture might be fulfilled: You shall not break a bone of him. 37 And again another scripture saith: They shall look on him whom they pierced. 38 And after these things, Joseph of Arimathea (because he was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews) besought Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus. And Pilate gave leave. He came therefore, and took the body of Jesus. 39 And Nicodemus also came, (he who at the first came to Jesus by night,) bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight. 40 They took therefore the body of Jesus, and bound it in linen cloths, with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.

41 Now there was in the place where he was crucified, a garden; and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein no man yet had been laid. 42 There, therefore, because of the parasceve of the Jews, they laid Jesus, because the sepulchre was nigh at hand.

My Hebrew-Pentecostal friend,

The Gospel of John 19:31-42 describes the removal of the cross. I think you may have overlooked this my friend

31 Then the Jews, (because it was the parasceve,) that the bodies might not remain on the cross on the sabbath day, (for that was a great sabbath day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. 32 The soldiers therefore came; and they broke the legs of the first, and of the other that was crucified with him. 33 But after they were come to Jesus, when they saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. 34 But one of the soldiers with a spear opened his side, and immediately there came out blood and water. 35 And he that saw it, hath given testimony, and his testimony is true. And he knoweth that he saith true; that you also may believe.

36 For these things were done, that the scripture might be fulfilled: You shall not break a bone of him. 37 And again another scripture saith: They shall look on him whom they pierced. 38 And after these things, Joseph of Arimathea (because he was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews) besought Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus. And Pilate gave leave. He came therefore, and took the body of Jesus. 39 And Nicodemus also came, (he who at the first came to Jesus by night,) bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight. 40 They took therefore the body of Jesus, and bound it in linen cloths, with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.

41 Now there was in the place where he was crucified, a garden; and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein no man yet had been laid. 42 There, therefore, because of the parasceve of the Jews, they laid Jesus, because the sepulchre was nigh at hand.

tobinatorstark.wordpress.com/2008/09/

If anything this supports my argument not disproves it.

Of course Jesus does as he promises.

But if you dispute the fact that “three days and three nights” wasn’t a loose manner of speech equivilent to the contemporary “two or three days”, you have a problem with Paul’s writing of “on the third day”.
Remember too that in Mat 25(?) , upon being reminded that Christ said He’d be entombed 3 days and 3 nites, Pilate ordered the tomb sealed only “until the third day”. If he had taken Christ’s words to mean literally 3 days and 3 nights, don’t you think he have ordered it sealed until the FOURTH day, or until AFTER the third day?

Regardless of atheists and non Christians citing prima facie evidence such as these “conflicting” verses as “evidence” scripture contradicts itself in their efforts to denounce Christianity, we know the bible doesn’t - being God’s word, it can’t. I think there is no other reconciliation between these verses other than the one I have offered. Is there another possible explanation to harmonize the verses?

The problem with your statement and the whole belief that Jesus was crucified on a friday is due to the fact that there is a lack of research and can be resolved by just reading the scriptuers. If you beleive that like it states in Numbers 23:19
God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. There is no way that anyone can hold Paul to be truthful and our Lord and Savior to be just using a figure of speech. Or believe that Esther is truthful but not hold to Christ’s statement that in Matthew 12:40
For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Jesus states in Matthew 26:2
"As you know, the Passover is two days away—and the Son of Man will be handed over to be crucified."

I’m sorry but Jesus was crucified on a wednesday afternoon, before sundown.

The feast of Passover always begins on a wednesday at sundown, never on a thursday nor friday.

If you research you will find this fact to be true.
inspirational-motivational-quotes.com/when-is-Passover.html
www.blinkx.com/videos/Passover+Seder
www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-04-08-passover_N.htm

www.torahtots.com/holidays/pesach/pesach1.htm

when was the Sabbath (Jewish). Bible never said that Christ was left on the Cross for days

also by his resurrection, Sunday became the first day, 3rd day, 7th day and 8th day all in one

Passover is considered a sabbath in all jewish customs. He was taken down before sunset on wednesday before the Passover(sabbath) began

Lol that is not a fact nor true but entertaining.

Bible also tells that only did he rose 3rd day, but the last day. He will come again on the Last day. Tell me why is it that the Resurrection is observed on Sunday and not Sunday. Christians believe Sunday is Holy day and time for rest. Non-Christians deny such. Where in Bible does it mentioned that he was crucified on the 4th day and not the 5th day. Need I remind you at the time Sunday was the 7 day of the week and not the 1st day until the resurrection. I admit it is kind of hard to debate with cults like Islam, Jehovah Witnesses, Morman, Fundamentalism and Pentecostalism. It is those views that keep me with the one holy Catholic and apostolic Church

Chapter 20 of the Gospel of John also disproves that Christ rose on Saturday.

taken from the Douay-Rheims

1 And on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalen cometh early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre; and she saw the stone taken away from the sepulchre. 2 She ran, therefore, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and saith to them: They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him. 3 Peter therefore went out, and that other disciple, and they came to the sepulchre. 4 And they both ran together, and that other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre. 5 And when he stooped down, he saw the linen cloths lying; but yet he went not in.

6 Then cometh Simon Peter, following him, and went into the sepulchre, and saw the linen cloths lying, 7 And the napkin that had been about his head, not lying with the linen cloths, but apart, wrapped up into one place. 8 Then that other disciple also went in, who came first to the sepulchre: and he saw, and believed. 9 For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead. 10 The disciples therefore departed again to their home.

11 But Mary stood at the sepulchre without, weeping. Now as she was weeping, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre, 12 And she saw two angels in white, sitting, one at the head, and one at the feet, where the body of Jesus had been laid. 13 They say to her: Woman, why weepest thou? She saith to them: Because they have taken away my Lord; and I know not where they have laid him. 14 When she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing; and she knew not that it was Jesus. 15 Jesus saith to her: Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, thinking it was the gardener, saith to him: Sir, if thou hast taken him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.

16 Jesus saith to her: Mary. She turning, saith to him: Rabboni (which is to say, Master). 17 Jesus saith to her: Do not touch me, for I am not yet ascended to my Father. But go to my brethren, and say to them: I ascend to my Father and to your Father, to my God and your God. 18 Mary Magdalen cometh, and telleth the disciples: I have seen the Lord, and these things he said to me

Bible also tells that only did he rose 3rd day, but the last day. He will come again on the Last day. Tell me why is it that the Resurrection is observed on Sunday and not Sunday. Christians believe Sunday is Holy day and time for rest. Non-Christians deny such. Where in Bible does it mentioned that he was crucified on the 4th day and not the 5th day. Need I remind you at the time Sunday was the 7 day of the week and not the 1st day until the resurrection. I admit it is kind of hard to debate with cults like Islam, Jehovah Witnesses, Morman, Fundamentalism and Pentecostalism. It is those views that keep me with the one holy Catholic and apostolic Church

I understand why you would take exception to the things I have said because you probably were brought up in the catholic church. I too was brought up that way but upon learning the truth turned and embraced it.

It states in EXODUS 20:8 8 "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. Look at your calendar the 7th day is saturday. Jesus Christ was a man that came from jewish background. The sabbath is holy and supposed to be observed on saturday not sunday. However i see no problem with anyone worshiping on any day of the week, just as long as you do in fact worship.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.