Did jesus save us?

i was just wondering, where in the bible does it say that jesus accepted non jews…? At times it seems as though he was hostile towards anyone who wasn’t a jew… As gentiles and the like were referred to as dogs on a number of occasions. I know that st. peter was given a vision from god indicating that non jews would be accepted if they turn to jesus or to his holy self… but i can’t find where jesus actually says that he will accept non jews…
Also could someone please tell me which is the "offical"catholic bible please?

The Apostles were the ministers of Jesus on Earth. Jesus never said to accept Gentiles when He was walking on Earth, but that doesn’t make the Apostles decisions less binding. Jesus put them in charge for a reason, and promised that they would teach the truth.

I think the passage in mathew 22. might indicate that jesus was willing to accept gentiles… through the parable in this verse. That verse to me was the only one that i thought really idicated to me that jesus was willing to accept anyone who accepted him?

[quote=misterX]i was just wondering, where in the bible does it say that jesus accepted non jews…? At times it seems as though he was hostile towards anyone who wasn’t a jew… As gentiles and the like were referred to as dogs on a number of occasions. I know that st. peter was given a vision from god indicating that non jews would be accepted if they turn to jesus or to his holy self… but i can’t find where jesus actually says that he will accept non jews…
[/quote]

the cure of the daughter of the Syrio-Phoenician (caananite) woman was granted by Jesus on the basis of her great faith. He said first that he came to the strayed sheep of Israel, and the food for children should not be cast to the dogs. She replied, sir, even the dogs eat the leftover’s from the children’s table. On the basis of the faith contained in that reply, he healed the daughter. His healing of the centurion’s servant is a similar example of extending his grace to non-Jews.

In his teaching in response to the pharisees, who complained that he apostles ate without the prescribed ritual cleansing, Jesus replied that it is not what goes into a man’s body that defiles him, but that which comes out -evil thoughts, lust, fornication etc. The parenthetical note in Mark’s gospel says that he clearly deemed all foods clean by this teaching, in other words, replaced the man-made traditions of the pharisees and their law with the God-given law, incorporating the “unclean” that is gentile, into the chosen realm of God. He commanded the apostles to preach the Gospel to the entire world, Jews and Gentiles alike, and inspired the apostles to reject the notion that believers must first accept circumcision and become Jews in order to join the Church.

The official Catholic bible for the English lectionary is the New American Bible. the translation used in Vatican documents and encyclicals translated into English is the Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition.

Would the good Samaritan parable be an example?

[quote=misterX]i was just wondering, where in the bible does it say that jesus accepted non jews…? At times it seems as though he was hostile towards anyone who wasn’t a jew… As gentiles and the like were referred to as dogs on a number of occasions. I know that st. peter was given a vision from god indicating that non jews would be accepted if they turn to jesus or to his holy self… but i can’t find where jesus actually says that he will accept non jews…
[/quote]

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, so that EVERYONE who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life."

Call me crazy, but I think this answers the question quite sufficiently.

"Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ" - St Jerome

[/quote]

The Jews are the chosen people of God, God’s firstborn, as revealed in the Old Testament. This remains true today. We Gentile Christians, through the New Covenant established in Christ, have been admitted to our elder brother’s inheritance.

Christ declared that He was sent to the lost children of Israel. This was not a declaration that He did not like the Gentiles, but rather a revelation of the Father’s plan for our salvation. The covenant with Abraham was that all of the nations would be blessed through his descendents. Taking this into consideration, it becomes clear that the means He chose to accomplish this was to raise the New Testament Church among the Jews and, from them, to send it out to the rest of the world. I say that it is clear because this is precisely what happened.

The one official Catholic Bible is the Vulgate. This is the most ancient complete copy of the Bible in existence. Manuscripts containing portions of the Old and New Testaments which predate the Vulgate have been found. These more ancient manuscripts confirm that the Vulgate is a very accurate version of the Scriptures.

There are several approved translations of the Bible in different languages.

Jesus also went to the Samaritans, the woman at the well and her friends. Jews looked on Samaritans as probably the ultimate heretics, yet Jesus spoke to the woman and announced that He was the Messiah. . .hardly something He would have done had He NOT been prepared to minister to non Jews.

Also, Paul spoke of himself as apostle to the Gentiles and said that he was COMMANDED to preach to them by Christ, I believe.

To add a line to what Mutant said

Here is one place I thought of:

[quote=Matt19] 3 And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, “Is it lawful to divorce one’s wife for any cause?” 4 He answered, “Have you not read that he who made them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder.” 7 They said to him, “Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?” 8 He said to them, "For your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.
[/quote]

When I see this I remember there was a time when there was no such thing as Jew or Christian. ie, religion was nothing, there was just one true God and His creation.

Also many times it is said that Jesus didnt come to abolish the Law but to fulfil it.

Thanks everyone. your replies really helped a lot…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.