Did Jesus say that everyone who does not receieve the Eucharist is going to hell?

In the passage John 6:53-54, Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats 19 my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. Does this mean that faithful Protestants, (who do not have the true presence of the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ in their church), have no chance at Heaven since they do not participate in Holy Communion?

Being a faithful Catholic, I think the answer to my question is “no”, they are not excluded from Heaven. But I do not know how to elaborate on this as to why they are not excluded. I need some help. Could you give me your thoughts on this? Am I correct on my assumption?

Thank you. God bless.

Your assumption is correct. Jesus’ words inform us of the importance of receiving the Eucharist and the gravity of refusing to do so – refusal being a grave issue, the matter of mortal sin. But mortal sin requires also full knowledge and complete consent (cf. Catechism, 1857).

So, those who do not receive the Eucharist because they lack the necessary knowledge or because they are unable to do so are not going to be punished for that. But those who, knowing what the Eucharist is and that the Lord commanded us to receive it, deliberately refuse ever to receive it commit mortal sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.