Did John baptise in the name of the Father, Son & Holy Spirit? Or By God alone

Peter who was (Simon) Baptised in the name of Jesus. My understanding is Peter used Jesus name to cement that Jesus is the true Son of God who they originally rejected.

As he would have been speaking to the Jews who already knew of God and the Holy Spirit.

Was John the Baptist baptising in God and the Holy Spirit?

(Matthew 3:11) "I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.”

I think John’s was simply a water baptism of repentance to proclaim Jesus’s coming. He preached, “Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven has come near.” (John 3:2) After Jesus’s sacrifice and ascension, people could baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

Also, notice that Jesus commanded this at the time of the Great Commission, right before His ascension. By this time, John the Baptist had been martyred.

3 Likes

The Jews did not know of the Holy Spirit. There is what is called the Shekinah in the Kabbalah writings, represented as a divine, feminine light, but not really the same interpretation as given by Christians to the Holy Spirit, conceived as the third Person of G-d.

2 Likes

Does Shekinah also mean “Divine Presence”? It sounds similar to Sekinah, an Arabic word of the above meaning.

Yes, it does.

1 Like

Thanks!

Ten chars.

John’s baptism was of repentance. It was not a Sacrament and was a good faith gesture made by those turning from sin. Period.

The “baptism in the name of Jesus” is a figure of speech to contrast it with the baptism of John. Remember that there were two controversial baptisms occurring at the same time. To avoid confusion(?) they were referred to by their respective names - but not by their nature or content.

The formula for Baptism was set in stone, in heaven and on earth, by Christ Himself as recorded in Matthew’s Gospel.

5 Likes

Thank you for the replies.

So John baptised others in repentance.

Those baptised by John would they have been baptised a second time in Father , Son and Holy Spirit?

Yes. Read Saint Paul in Acts 19. He defines the difference and the need for sacramental Baptism.

No. The baptism of John was not sacramental. So a sacramental baptism in the name of the holy trinity is the first not second baptism.

1 Like

Even though it is not a sacramental baptism, it is still okay to call it a “baptism”. Jesus, Himself, refers to it as “John’s baptism” in Mt.21:25.

That is true, but out of context of this discussion. Please read the what was asked by the original poster…”Was John the Baptist baptizing in God and the Holy Spirit?” No he was not…it was not a sacramental baptism requiring a Trinitarian Format that Jesus commanded when he said, “Go forth and teach all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.”

This command carries over to Church teaching, where in our creed we profess believe in “one baptism”, and means one baptism using the Trinitarian Format…So, yes, you are correct that John’s baptism was called baptism, but not the sacramental baptism that it was to becom.

But your response was not to Fill1sHeart original post, but to a later post of hers (post #8) where she now recognizes John’s baptism was for repentance (not a baptism in God and the Holy Spirit as she first thought). After stating that she asks about the need to be baptized again - which would be a second baptism, John’s being the first.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.