Did John the Baptist sin?

Luke 1:15 And he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb
Haydock commentary says:
*from which words some conjecture, that St. John the Baptist, though conceived in original sin, yet might have been freed from the guilt of it before he came into the world. Of this see St. Augustine, Ep. lvii. now Ep. clxxxvii. ad Dardanum. t. ii, p. 685. Ed. Ben. (Witham)*This blogger says “John the Baptist must also have had original sin, but no personal sins whatsoever.”

Any other ECF or Church teachings on this matter???

Do you know what’s better and more reliable than your “infallible” church’s teaching is?

“Howbeit, when he the Spirit of Truth is come, he will guide you into all truth: For he shall not speak of himself: but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak, and he will show you things to come” -John 16:13

The Word being from God who is ABOVE the Church, no , the church is not God, is fallible, and is likewise, subject to fault being led by man… The Word that comes from God that directs us… The Bible now… tells us “God forbid: Yea, let God be true, but every man a liar…”(Romans 3:4)This justifies my teaching that the church led by man is fallible and likewise, subject to fault.

The Bible also says, to answer your question on John the Baptist… From the same book I show you Romans 3:23… “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God”

The Bible says CLEARLY here, -ALL- have sinned… that INCLUDES Mary, John the Baptist, and the others… There was only ONE person who lived on earth that was without sin, that was Jesus Christ, to say otherwise I again emphasize IS HERESY.

The Catholic Church as a whole can not be more wrong in what it’s doing … it makes graven images of Mary and other saints, makes a statue (graven image) and calls it God, and also teaches many damnable heresies which of course contradict the Bible itself! You may say the Church follows the Bible, but all I have seen is selective picking of certain books and verses. Come on!

“Thus saith the Lord, Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the Lord.”

“Blessed is the man that trusteth in the Lord, and whose hope the Lord is.”

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked, who can know it?"
Jeremiah 17:5 & 7 & 9

Also: just because he is filled with the Holy Spirit doesn’t mean he isn’t subject to sin… again, all men sin… and any man can receive the Holy Spirit at any time when he accepts Christ as his savior… They, being Christians, you can still notice that they do indeed sin. But they have the Holy Ghost! You may say… but they do sin! If they sinned even with the Holy Spirit, what makes John any different? Nothing.

The Bible says CLEARLY here, -ALL- have sinned… that INCLUDES Mary, John the Baptist, and the others… There was only ONE person who lived on earth that was without sin, that was Jesus Christ, to say otherwise I again emphasize IS HERESY.

Do you not see that you’ve destroyed your own argument in this paragraph? “All have sinned” … “well, except-” obviously there are exceptions. Oi.

BTW, you’re off topic. If you want to discuss the issues you raise, particularly this little gem:

makes a statue (graven image) and calls it God,

Which actually casued me to laugh at the screen, then start a new thread. Please do, I really want to hear what statues you think we honor with Latria, or what inatimate objects we think are God. I love being educated in what I believe by others.

To the OP: Jimmy Akin has an article on this, and he seems to think that while, yes, he was cleansed of original sin while in his mother’s womb, he was not immaculate, as our Blessed Mother is.

jimmyakin.typepad.com/defensor_fidei/2004/12/john_the_baptis.html

also generally useful:

newadvent.org/cathen/08486b.htm

You harass me over this, do you imply Jesus Christ was a sinner?
It seems so to me. Mary is not immaculate, that’s a blatant heresy… I said ALL are sinners, GOD isn’t a sinner you fool! Jesus is God and can’t be included in that verse! Get a grip! Being on this earth alive shows we are sinners! None are as great as God, you hypocrite! I have never seen such ignorance in my life, I swear… GOD is perfection… ALL HUMANS fell to the TEMPTATION of the devil who controls the entire earth when Adam and Eve took that bite out of the apples which God commanded them not to eat of- SATAN has control of what happens here! Lest God intervenes, but that doesn’t mean he will make people without sin! IT does NOT say ANYWHERE in the Bible “I will make people greater than thou, they shalt be without sin and ye shall pray to them because I want them to have MY glory, they shall be a shining example of what you can’t be, HAHA!” Damnit, get your facts straight!

:rotfl: You might get your wish…I’m guessing under the alias nezmithc.

Thank you much!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.