Did Judas go to heaven?

This is a serious question.

The bible says that any sin can be forgiven if the sinner feels remorse, confesses, and repents.

In the bible, Judas hands Jesus over to be killed. That is obviously a very bad sin. But then Judas feels remorse, returns the money he was given for his betrayal, and exclaims “I have sinned in betraying innocent blood”. He was so remorseful that he even commit suicide.

This makes me wonder if Judas went to hell or heaven. It sounds like he felt genuine guilt and tried to repent.

Also, remember that the church’s stance on suicide is not always ‘suicide=hell’; for more information look at this thread. forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=466715

I would like to hear any and all thoughts on this, provided they are properly backed.

I am not sure if this is the kind of answer you’re looking for, but in my humble opinion, we truly cannot know one way or the other. We must leave it up to God.

There exists in our church a methodical process of recognizing a soul who is in Heaven (canonization of saints) however there is nobody among us who can say whether one is in Hell or not. Essentially…it is Christ who will come again to judge the living and the dead, not us. I’m sorry I can not answer this question but only the Risen King truly knew Judas’s sincerity in his repentance and had the power to forgivr him on the judgement seat.

Well it certainly is possible. But I have no idea. I have wondered the same thing.

I thought that Judas had despaired of God’s Mercy by hanging himself. Is that not the greater sin? Correct me if I’m wrong.

The Gospel of Judas says it was Jesus’s plan for Judas to do what he did and he told Peter that he will deny Jesus like Jesus told him to deny him…I don’t believe that’s what really happened but that’s what the Gospel of Judas says.

Jesus said concerning Judas "The Son of Man indeed goes, as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed. It would be better for that man if he had never been born.” (Matt. 26:24)

And “When I was with them I protected them in your name that you gave me, and I guarded them, and none of them was lost except the son of destruction, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled.” (John 17:12).

And Peter says of Judas in Acts 1:16-20:
"My brothers, the scripture had to be fulfilled which the holy Spirit spoke beforehand through the mouth of David, concerning Judas, who was the guide for those who arrested Jesus.He was numbered among us and was allotted a share in this ministry. He bought a parcel of land with the wages of his iniquity, and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle, and all his insides spilled out.This became known to everyone who lived in Jerusalem, so that the parcel of land was called in their language ‘Akeldama,’ that is, Field of Blood. For it is written in the Book of Psalms:

‘Let his encampment become desolate,

and may no one dwell in it.’

And:

‘May another take his office."

Yikes.

Isn’t killing yourself a sin too?

Yes,I heard it explained that Judas had ruinous remorse,not believing he could be forgiven.This as opposed to Peter,who also betrayed Our Lord,believed in Christ’s mercy.He experienced resplendent remorse.

In light of Christ’s own words concerning the one who would betray him, I can’t make sense of Judas being in Heaven. There is no infallible interpretation of scripture, but it takes a considerable deal of creativity to take “doomed to destruction” to mean “in Heaven”.

Technically speaking we haven’t “decanonized” the devil either, and even a few people since the very beginning of Christianity have tried to argue the case of his salvation too, but they aren’t very successful at it.

I would presume Judas’ grief to ultimately be one of despair. There are two accounts of men who betrayed Jesus. One of them became Pope. The other one tied a rope around his own neck and hung himself. The difference between these two reactions is very great.

Isn’t saying that Judas despaired of God’s mercy like trying to read someone’s heart after the fact? Could it be that he saw that his action brought on the death of an innocent man and that he himself took on the judgement of an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, and gave himself the punishment of death? Wouldn’t the commandment eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth demand that? Judas took care of it himself with his own hand.

I guess we’ll have to see at the end of the world how that played out. I hope for God’s mercy, and for myself as well.

Pax Christi!

It’s possible that any suicide repents of the act of suicide just before life is snuffed out.

Any human who has passed away could be in Heaven.

God bless.

(Matthew 27:3): Then Judas, who betrayed him, seeing that he was condemned, repenting himself, brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and ancients…

Scripture says that Judas was sorry for his own sake, which seems to suggest that he lacked supernatural sorrow and charity. If he is lost, it is because in his final moments he did not turn to God with repentance.

Many saints and mystics believe that Judas died impenitent. Bl. Battista Varani believed that Our Lord revealed the following to her (I share these words because, while sad, they also reveal Christ’s love and tenderness):

"When I saw the design of betraying Me forming in his heart, I redoubled the proofs of My tenderness, to turn him from his criminal thoughts, but it was of no avail; nothing would touch his wicked heart. On the contrary, the more affection I showed him, the more he was hardened in his perfidious resolution. When, at the Last Supper, I performed the humble and touching ceremony of washing My disciples’ feet, My Heart could not contain itself; but I wept bitterly, and watered his polluted feet with My tears, for I said within Myself: “O Judas! what have I then done to you, that you should betray Me thus? O unhappy disciple! is this to be the last proof I shall ever be able to give of My love for you? O son of perdition! why dost thou leave Thy Father and Master? O Judas, if you would have thirty pieces of silver, why not go and ask them from My Mother thine; she would sell herself to free thee and Me from danger and death. Ah! ungrateful disciple, today I wash thy feet, and kiss them with so much love, and in a few hours thou wilt kiss My Face, to deliver Me up to My enemies. O dear and beloved son, what a return thou makest to One who weeps the loss of thee more than His own Passion and death, because for this He came into this world.

While My Heart was speaking thus, My tears watered his feet, but he saw them not, because I was kneeling before him, My Head bent down, and My long hair falling about My Face, so that he could not see My tearful countenance. But John, my beloved disciple, to whom I had revealed all the mysteries of My Passion during this sad Supper, observed My every action, saw My tears flow on the feet of the traitor, and understood that they proceeded from the tenderness of My love. When a father sees his only son about to die, he is eager to serve him, and says in his heart, “Farewell, my son, this is the last service I shall be able to render you.” Thus did I act towards Judas, when I washed and kissed his feet."

Very touching. Yes, Our Lord is broken hearted when He sees a soul on the road to ruin. I believe He and His Mother make every effort possible up until the final moment to get the dinner to repent.

Nobody can tell definitely what happened to Judas. He could have repented at the last minute.

I heard of a nun who had visions of Purgatory, She said that there are four levels of Purgatory. The fourth level are for those who died in mortal sin but for works they had performed in their life were forgiven and escaped hell. She said that some suicide cases were in this level of Purgatory.

I see some hope for Judas’s case.

As a pro-lifer, I would like to point out that Jesus did not say that it would be better for Judas if he had never been conceived (which would have been a definite indication of hellfire had He said that).

How do we know that “son of destruction” doesn’t mean Satan?
Or, how do do we know it isn’t a figure of speech, metaphorically referring to any lost soul, human or demon?

I don’t see anything in this passage that explicitly condemns Judas. What do you see? :confused:

Judas judaah judas judaha judas judah aha judas gaga!

You’ve either been misinformed on what you heard or this nun’s visions are in opposition to the Church. The catechism teaches that people that die in mortal sin go to Hell. That’s why it’s called a mortal sin. It kills you. It’s a contradiction of the language to say that a person in mortal sin is saved.

When a wicked man turns from his wickedness, none of the wicked things he has done will be remembered. When a righteous man turns from his righteousness, none of the righteous things he has done will be remembered.

michaeljournal.org/purgatory.htm

Read the first paragraph after "Levels of Purgatory. Yes mortal sin sends you to hell but with God all things are possible. Although they do not say mortal sin they do say those who committed terrible crimes which I interpret as Mortal sins.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.