Did Judas have a choice?

After today’s gospel and homily, the question was raised why Jesus reached out to Judas so many times as if to let him know he did not have to betray Him. But, it would seem that Jesus’ passion depended on that betrayal, which was prophesied. Did Jesus really want Judas to NOT betray Him, even though it was for all practical purposes required for things to play out as they did (after all, He put up no fight)? Did Judas have free will to choose not to do it, to resist Satan’s entry into his heart? If he did, and he could have chosen differently up to the last second, did God have a Plan B or what would have happened? The story of Judas is a little confusing to me, i would really like to know if Judas had control over his decision.

I would say he did, and that our LORD would have been herded to His death in any case; but I am not a theologian.

ICXC NIKA

Well put yourself in Jesus and GOD shoes, GOD knows the outcome however HE does not wish for Judas to betray Jesus, HE does not wish anyone to loose his/her salvation. I am sure Jesus loved Judas just as much as HE loved Peter or His own mother.

However Judas had free will to do what he did, we cannot know if he was indeed damned to hell, we will know perhaps when we meet Jesus.

In John’s Gospel it reads that "satan entered into him’’ and after satan was in him Jesus addressed Judas with Satan within saying "what thou dost do quickly’’. So He is addressing Satan commanding him to betray. So was Judas responsible for Satans actions? Or was Judas acting with Satan? Or was Judas ok with God’s will being done through him by satan?

When Jesus chose his disciples, he could have chosen a George instead of Judas, and he would know that George would not have betrayed him.

I am sure Jesus loved Judas just as much as HE loved Peter or His own mother.

Or Jesus loved Judas as he loved himself.

However Judas had free will to do what he did, we cannot know if he was indeed damned to hell, we will know perhaps when we meet Jesus.

Jesus prayed on the cross, Forgive them Father for they know not what they do. All our sins condemned Jesus to death, I am not sure we can single Judas out

In the Gospel Jesus states that both Judas Iscariot, and the scribes and Pharisees in general, are condemned:Mark 14
21 And the Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man shall be betrayed. It were better for him, if that man had not been born.

Matthew 26
**24 **The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man shall be betrayed: it were better for him, if that man had not been born. 25 And Judas that betrayed him, answering, said: Is it I, Rabbi? He saith to him: Thou hast said it.

Matthew 5
**17 **Do not think that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets. I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. **18 **For amen I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot, or one tittle shall not pass of the law, till all be fulfilled. **19 **He therefore that shall break one of these least commandments, and shall so teach men, shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven. But he that shall do and teach, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

**20 **For I tell you, that unless your justice abound more than that of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

You know, Judas often reminds me of a demotivational poster I once saw

“DESPAIR: perhaps your only purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others”. This was with an image of a sinking ship.

Judas had some choice in the matter at least, as Judas made himself susceptible to demonic influence by previously committing mortal sin. Remember, Judas held the money bag and often stole from it.

Just because it was foretold does not mean Judas had no choice. You have to remember God stands outside of time and sees past, present, and future at the same time. God knows what you will do in the next second, next day, next month, next year, etc. Does that mean because He knows what you will choose you have no choice? :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.