Did Mary commit a sin at the wedding feast of Cana?

I wish I had more knowledge to counter statements like this.

"[v.3] Mary says to Jesus, “they have no wine” [v.4] Jesus says,“Woman, what have I do do with you? Mine hour is not yet come AND HERE IT COMES…… [v.5] Mary says to the servants, “Whatsoever he says to you, do it” BAM!!! Mary ignores the fact that GOD/Jesus’ plan does not include a miracle now She tells the servants to stand there staring at Jesus, waiting for him to speak May FULLY expects Jesus to do a miracle anyway, GOD’s plan or not THAT IS SIN….”

How can I show that this is not a sin of disobedience to God’s will?

IV. Thou shalt honor your Mother and Father.

Who claims to have knowledge of some alternate “plan?”

You would do well to explain that Mary was sinless.

I’m really confused right now. Could you restate where the sin is?

There is no argument here at all. If Jesus had not said a thing for the servants to do then according to them there would have been no “sin”. So are they saying Jesus also went against God’s will.

This! :thumbsup:

The Blessed Mother didn’t tell the servants to so something behind Jesus’s back. She simply told them to do whatever Jesus told them to do.

Jesus could have told then to sit back down and leave Him alone. But He didn’t. He chose to intercede at the request of His Mother.

For resources, listen to Dr. Brant Pitre’s speeches “Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist” and “Jesus the Bridegroom: The Greatest Love Story Ever Told”

You can buy them here: lighthousecatholicmedia.org/store/speakers?promoCode=104130&speaker=dr-brant-pitre

God Bless

No.

Greek Interlinear Bible:legei autE ho iEsous ti emoi kai soi gunai.
Is-saying to-her the Jesus any to-me and to-you woman!
**John 2:4 (DRC with Haydock Commentary)**4 Jesus saith to her: Woman, what is it to me and to thee? my hour is not yet come.
Ver. 4. Some of the Fathers have spoken without sufficient precaution on this action of the blessed Virgin; supposing she was actuated by some inclination to vanity, in begging her Son to perform a miracle on this occasion; that some of the glory of it might accrue to her, and that on this account our Saviour answers her with severity, saying, Woman, (not Mother) what is it to thee or me. Other Fathers, with more reason, attribute the interference of the blessed Virgin to her charity and compassion for the new married couple. Whatever turn be given to our Saviour’s answer, it must be acknowledged it has in it the appearance of something severe. But the Fathers have explained it with mildness, observing that our Saviour only meant to say, Mother, what affair is it of ours if they want wine? Ought we to concern ourselves about that? Others think that he wished, by these words, to let his Mother know that she must not forestall the time appointed by the heavenly Father, as if her demand were unseasonable and out of time. But most of the Fathers and best commentators understand, that he speaks here not as man and Son of Mary, but as God; and in that quality, he observes to his Mother, I have nothing in common with you. It is not for you to prescribe when miracles are to be performed, which are not to be expected in compliance with any human respect. I know when my power is to be manifested for the greater glory of God. (Calmet)
—See the like forms of speech, Mark i. 24; Luke iv. 34; &c.
— My hour is not yet come. It is not yet time. He waited till the wine was quite done, lest any should believe that he had only increased the quantity, or had only mixed water with the wine. He would have his first miracle to be incontestable, and that all the company should be witnesses of it. (St. Augustine, et alii patres passim.
— Christ’s first miracle in the New Testament, was a kind of transubstantiation in changing water into wine; the first miracle Moses performed when sent to the Jews, was transubstantiation. (Exodus iv.) The first Moses and Aaron performed, when sent to the Egyptians, was transubstantiation. (Exodus vii.)

haydock1859.tripod.com/id93.html

** John 2:4 New American Bible (Revised Edition) (NABRE)**
4 a][And] Jesus said to her, “Woman, how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come.”
Footnotes:

[LIST=1]
*]2:4 This verse may seek to show that Jesus did not work miracles to help his family and friends, as in the apocryphal gospels. Woman: a normal, polite form of address, but unattested in reference to one’s mother. Cf. also Jn 19:26. How does your concern affect me?: literally, “What is this to me and to you?”—a Hebrew expression of either hostility (Jgs 11:12; 2 Chr 35:21; 1 Kgs 17:18) or denial of common interest (Hos 14:9; 2 Kgs 3:13). Cf. Mk 1:24; 5:7 used by demons to Jesus. My hour has not yet come: the translation as a question (“Has not my hour now come?”), while preferable grammatically and supported by Greek Fathers, seems unlikely from a comparison with Jn 7:6, 30. The “hour” is that of Jesus’ passion, death, resurrection, and ascension (Jn 13:1).
[/LIST]

"Woman, what have I do do with you? or
Woman, what is it to me and to thee? or
How does your concern affect me?

There are various ways of wording this because it is a Hebrew idiom that means deference to authority. Jesus is defering or honoring Mary’s authority in her proper role as queen, the same as every Davidic mother of the king always had previously.

The same idiom is found in Luke 4:34
“…What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth?..”
Here, the demons are defering to the authority of Jesus.

Usage of “woman” and not “mother” is also significant. God said “women” at the Wedding of Cana, and He said “woman” while dying on the cross. The beginning and the end of his of His earthly ministry. Much can be written about Mary as “Woman”.

No, Mary did not sin at Cana and Jesus was not putting her down, just the opposite.

I believe that Mary approached Jesus because she knew He was capable of performing miracles. These were private miracles like changing water into wine He may have done for Mary and Joseph throughout His life with them at home. She had to have known otherwise why would she have approached Him.

Also shows that if you go to her, she’ll go to Him to intercede on your behalf.

Jesus CAN"T go against God’s will, HE IS GOD!!! Mary only said the wisest thing, “DO as HE tells you !!!” If only we would ALL take her words to heart. What a change we would see in this so troubled world. Most of us want it “our way”. But that will end at our death of we don’t end it before. God Bless, Memaw

To me this proves the power of Mary’s intercessions. :slight_smile: She didn’t have to specifically ask that Jesus help (she knew he would because she knew her son).

Just as when Mary and Joseph find the child Jesus in the temple, there is no specific command from Mary the Jesus return. He always knows the Mother Mary and listens to her.:thumbsup:

:

:popcorn:

I think it worth noting that Jesus began His public ministry before the appointed time because of the compassion Mary felt for the wedding couple. As another poster stated, if this doesn’t illustrate the power of Mary’s intercession and the love that Christ felt for her, then I don’t know what does.

The only way that a person could find sin in this episode is if they have their eyes and ears shut to the truth.

Umm… that’s the whole point, Memaw: if someone claims that Mary sinned by going against God’s will, it implies that Jesus committed the same sin. That’s impossible, and therefore, it proves that it was not a sin – either for Jesus or Mary. :wink:

Hmm. Jesus may always know Mary and will listen but He is not commanded by her. Not all requests or prayers are answered with “yes”.

And I don’t think she knew He would help. She knew He could help. She knew her Son. Like any Mother, there are times you ask your child to do something and sometimes when he says “no” you realize there might be a legitimate reason for him refusing so you discuss it with him later.

And about His disappearance when He was 12. He was disobedient. He should not have wandered off to do His own thing. This was showing His human side.

He was NOT doing HIS “own thing”, HE was doing the will of HIS Father. At age 12 HE was considered a young adult. That’s why HE was not noticed to be missing right away. He could go where he pleased without having to “stay by” either parent. Our use of the word “obedient” does not mean He was disobedient. He could NOT be disobedient because HE is God. While HE was both GOD and man, He still could NOT sin. God Bless, Memaw

It is strange to me that in our culture the word “woman” implies an insult.

When Jesus used the word “woman” he is not lowering her status but elevating it. In essence He is honoring her request because she is his mother and as such, is worthy of all due respect.

Jesus always treated women with the utmost respect. The apostles were often shocked by this - as in His conversation with the woman at the well.

When you see this kind of respect in a man in his dealings with women, you can be sure that this man has been well raised and always shows respect and honor toward his own mother.

The inadvertent consequences of the Protestants tendencies to devalue Mary as been the world’s movement to devalue the status of mothers.

Jesus’ love and respect for Mary is His teaching for us. By loving and honoring Mary we are following in His footsteps. She is beloved by Him and should be loved by us. She is an example for women and He is the example as to how men should respect women.

One more thing. That question may not have been a rhetorical question meant to criticize His mother but may have been a legitimate inquiry as to what she was thinking. He grew up obedient to Joseph and Mary. I doubt if He ceased being so as an adult.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.