Did Mary experience labor pains?

This question has been on mind for awhile now, as picky and insignificant as it might sound…I am just curious… it is mentioned in Genesis that God gave women pain in childbirth as a punishment for Eve’s disobedience (original sin). So if Mary was conceived without original sin, wouldn’t she be free of its “punishment” as well? (and am I interpreting this too literally? Is labor pain really a punishment? Or is that an ancient way of explaining it since they didn’t have the medical knowledge we have today? hmm.)

Nicole

Actually, Genesis says that God greatly increased our labor pains. It’s a difference that is worth noting, because other creatures do seem to have labor pains, but far less extreme than what humans experience.

My personal opinion is that Mary did indeed have labor pains, but they were more mild than that those of most unmedicated women. Any sudden stretching of skin is going to be painful, as are the contractions that are necessary to open the cervix, IMO. I simply can’t imagine that our whole sensory apparatus was completely different before the Fall.

That being said, there are some that argue that Mary didn’t even give a normal, vaginal delivery. There’s really no set answer to the question, I’m afraid.

Catholic belief is that Mary remained a virgin before, during, and after the birth of Jesus. Based on that belief, I don’t think she had labor pains, but that’s just speculation.

This is not accurate. Mary was spared the pains of childbirth and her bodily integrity was left intact even after the birth of Jesus. This is due to the fact she was conceived without original sin and remained sinless, even though she had free will, throughout her life.

[quote=Ghosty]Actually, Genesis says that God greatly increased our labor pains. It’s a difference that is worth noting, because other creatures do seem to have labor pains, but far less extreme than what humans experience.

My personal opinion is that Mary did indeed have labor pains, but they were more mild than that those of most unmedicated women. Any sudden stretching of skin is going to be painful, as are the contractions that are necessary to open the cervix, IMO. I simply can’t imagine that our whole sensory apparatus was completely different before the Fall.

That being said, there are some that argue that Mary didn’t even give a normal, vaginal delivery. There’s really no set answer to the question, I’m afraid.
[/quote]

This is not accurate. Mary was spared the pains of childbirth and her bodily integrity was left intact even after the birth of Jesus. This is due to the fact she was conceived without original sin and remained sinless, even though she had free will, throughout her life.

Prove it. Show me where labor pains didn’t exist prior to Original Sin.

I don’t know if this answers the question. I am only speaking from experience. I did not have pain with my third child, Abbie. I went to the hospital only because I had a ‘feeling’ that something was going to happen, not because of any pain. I had always used a civilian hospital before, but on this particular base I wasn’t given that option and had to use the military hospital. The dr was very annoyed to be woke up at two in the morning because I had a ‘feeling’ that my child was going to be born. He got very sarcastic with me. Ironically, while he was checking me my water broke and I was admitted. It took me three hours ( I should point out that my longest labor is only four hours and my shortest is an hour) and the only pain that I felt was when it came time to push. I had tightening in my belly and back, but it didn’t even hurt as much as Braxton Hicks. (I am talking about the stages prior to the desire to push-that stage was painful, but short) It was apparently odd to even my nurses. My best friend and husband and I joked and laughed until the last stage. The nurses began complimenting me on my ability to handle pain. I assured them that I had no ability to handle pain and was indeed a big ol’baby. They didn’t believe me. Yes, this experince is an anomoly, my next childbirth hurt like anything, but it is true and proves that it is possible to have a labor with very little pain. I don’t know why I didn’t have any pain, but if I had waited until I felt pain, it would have been to late.

Oh, and I will apologize to all you guys for telling my labor story. I know that you probably did not want to hear it, but I didn’t know how else to expain the experince or answer the question. So yes, from my own experince, it is possible to give birth with little pain.

Only if she was not born,for God does not tell lies. Gen;3;16 :confused: God Bless

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Only if she was not born,for God does not tell lies. Gen;3;16 :confused: God Bless
[/quote]

Once again, SW, you are not allowing for exceptions to the rule. A big reason why you have misunderstandings about Mary’s role in salvation history, btw. In a word, you are telling God that he cannot make any exceptions to the judgment he passed upon Eve and all women after her. Prove to us that he can’t/wouldn’t do so. The ball is in your court! :wink:

[quote=Ghosty]Actually, Genesis says that God greatly increased our labor pains. It’s a difference that is worth noting, because other creatures do seem to have labor pains, but far less extreme than what humans experience.

[/quote]

Goin off your logic here, i suppose i could assume Jesus himself didnt experience much pain then seeing he was without doubt the only human born without any sin whatsoever!!!

Maybe the cross and the stonings and abuses were less painful than for lesser so sinless beings???

Michael

[quote=Della]Once again, SW, you are not allowing for exceptions to the rule. A big reason why you have misunderstandings about Mary’s role in salvation history, btw. In a word, you are telling God that he cannot make any exceptions to the judgment he passed upon Eve and all women after her. Prove to us that he can’t/wouldn’t do so. The ball is in your court! :wink:
[/quote]

Actually there really wasn’t an exception to the judgement God passed upon Eve since God did say that there will be a women who well be the new Eve. This means that Mary was born like Eve without origanial sin.

[quote=JimG]Catholic belief is that Mary remained a virgin before, during, and after the birth of Jesus. Based on that belief, I don’t think she had labor pains, but that’s just speculation.
[/quote]

I just finished reading Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich’s book, “The Life of Mary”. Remember with caution that these are private revelations. We don’t have to believe them. In her private revelations, she confided that the Christ Child came out of Mary in such a way thae He just appeared (I’m grossly paraphrasing!)

I don’t know what the truth is but I don’t believe that she had any pains. Her pain was to come later with the Passion and Crusifixtion.

God Bless,
Donna:yup:

One point some make is that Mary is described as having labor pains in Rev 12. However a careful reading of Rev 12 indicates she is the mother of you and I, as followers of her Son. The labor pains referred to in Rev are a result of her “birth” of us, not of Jesus. I’m VERY sure she’s gone through a lot of pain just from me.

[quote=MonicaC]Actually there really wasn’t an exception to the judgement God passed upon Eve since God did say that there will be a women who well be the new Eve. This means that Mary was born like Eve without origanial sin.
[/quote]

EVE the word means woman or of-man,
and God said to EVE (woman) that from EVES’ seed ( a womans egg)
the messaih would comewho would crush the serpents head.
God said this AFTER EVE had fallen not Before.
So he made that proclomation which cannot be changed to a fallen Being.
Yet it didnt Stop God from making it.

Mary was born under the law, the purpose of the law was to lead us to christ
and what the law says it says to all those under it
Mary was under it.
the purpose of the law was to show all those under it that they were sinners in need of a saviour
the law was never meant for the readership of those who could look at it and see their own moral reflection in it or their own moral perfection shining back at them(except in the case of God himself that is!!
.if mary was sinless she would have done just that!! But it would mean Mary was God and perfect like God.
Infact it would mean that what the serpent said as the temptation in the garden was true!!!

On the contray the purpose of the law those born under the law (and mary was) was for all who were under the law to see how holy God was and for them to know they were Sinners in need of a redeemer.

Michael

[quote=michael777]Goin off your logic here, i suppose i could assume Jesus himself didnt experience much pain then seeing he was without doubt the only human born without any sin whatsoever!!!

Maybe the cross and the stonings and abuses were less painful than for lesser so sinless beings???

Michael
[/quote]

Michael, you’re getting way off logic here! The topic is specifically labor pain in the birth of Jesus. Gen ,refers to labor pain, not pain in general. Your taking this out of context by your sarcastic answer. It shows little respect for the agony our Lord suffered for you. I will pray for you.

[quote=Tom]One point some make is that Mary is described as having labor pains in Rev 12. However a careful reading of Rev 12 indicates she is the mother of you and I, as followers of her Son. The labor pains referred to in Rev are a result of her “birth” of us, not of Jesus. I’m VERY sure she’s gone through a lot of pain just from me.
[/quote]

The verse in revelation you are refering to did not exclusively refer to Mary as the woman it refered to ISREAL AND THE TO THE CHURCH.

Mary was in both i agree but The woman depicted was Isreal and the holy nation and its offspring THE CHURCH through FAITH IN IT’S messaih JESUS CHRIST, for we are of the Holy nation OF ISREAL AND A ROYAL PREISTHOOD through faith in the Messaih Jesus Christ NOT through faith in Mary.!!

Michael.

[quote=michael777]EVE the word means woman or of-man,
and God said to EVE (woman) that from EVES’ seed ( a womans egg)
the messaih would comewho would crush the serpents head.
God said this AFTER EVE had fallen not Before.
So he made that proclomation which cannot be changed to a fallen Being.
Yet it didnt Stop God from making it.

Mary was born under the law, the purpose of the law was to lead us to christ
and what the law says it says to all those under it
Mary was under it.
the purpose of the law was to show all those under it that they were sinners in need of a saviour
the law was never meant for the readership of those who could look at it and see their own moral reflection in it or their own moral perfection shining back at them(except in the case of God himself that is!!
.if mary was sinless she would have done just that!! But it would mean Mary was God and perfect like God.
Infact it would mean that what the serpent said as the temptation in the garden was true!!!

On the contray the purpose of the law those born under the law (and mary was) was for all who were under the law to see how holy God was and for them to know they were Sinners in need of a redeemer.

Michael
[/quote]

Wait a minute who is saying that Mary is God? God created Mary for one purpose and that was to be the first human Tabernical. No one is saying that she is God (the only people I ever hear say this is protestents). We are saying that God created her without sin so that she can be the mother of God, because God could not have been present in sin. Yes, Mary needed a redeemer just like all of man kind. Mary was a perfect example of how one serves our Lord, she always said yes to God and there for God favored her.

[quote=Tom]Michael, you’re getting way off logic here! The topic is specifically labor pain in the birth of Jesus. Gen ,refers to labor pain, not pain in general. Your taking this out of context by your sarcastic answer. It shows little respect for the agony our Lord suffered for you. I will pray for you.
[/quote]

The point i made is an honour to the sufferings of Christ
you miss the point

It is through faith in christ you are saved not by honour of anything or anybody else .
Nor is it by worrying wether or not a human being had pain when she gave birth to her son.

[quote=MonicaC]Wait a minute who is saying that Mary is God? God created Mary for one purpose and that was to be the first human Tabernical. No one is saying that she is God (the only people I ever hear say this is protestents). We are saying that God created her without sin so that she can be the mother of God, because God could not have been present in sin. Yes, Mary needed a redeemer just like all of man kind. Mary was a perfect example of how one serves our Lord, she always said yes to God and there for God favored her.
[/quote]

What a fool you are, and how stupid to suggest those who protest against lairs, say that Mary is God

“We are saying that God created her without sin so that she can be the mother of God”

You do not know the Power of God.

We are saying that God created her without sin so that she can be the mother of God, because God could not have been present in sin

So you believe Mary was sin?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.