Did Mary know that Jesus was God?

Some posters have recently suggested that Mary, Mother of GOd, did not know that Jesus was divine. This bothered me, as it seems to me, that Mary’s action at the wedding feast point toward her faith in her son.

Last night as I was praying the rosary and concentrating on the joyous mysteries, it suddenly hit me that Mary would have had to be a complete idiot not to have known that her son was also the Son of God. Think about these events in her life:

1 an angel visits her and informs her that she will give birth to a son of the most high. In the KJV the angel specifically says the Son of God. Luke 1:35 If she didn’t believe that Jesus was divine then how would she explain her pregnancy when she, herself, says that she was a virgen.

1. The Holy Spirit over shadows her in the same verse. Can you imagine what that must have been like. There have been moments when I have truely felt God and been moved to tears. I can’t imagine what such a direct experience must have been like for her.

3.Her relative Elizabeth is filled with the HOly SPirit and calls Mary, the Mother of my Lord. If Mary had not accepted the fact that she was going to give birth to the Son of GOd, then Elizabeth’s greeting would have seemed misplaced. Especially considering that Mary was younger and unmarried.

1. The wise men visiting her son. Let’s face it, wealthy men don’t just go around visiting poor, peasant women in stables and give their children expensive gifts. At this point, she must have been pretty dense not to realize that her son was holy.

2. the visit of the shephereds. It says in the bible that the shepherds told people about the visits of the angels. I doubt that they would have neglected to inform Mary. In fact verse 2 of chapter 2 in Luke seems to indicate that she was told.

3. SImon and Ana. Two wise people recognized that Jesus was the Messiah. Neither of them kept this secret. Ana in verse 38 of Chapter 2(still Luke) spake of him to all them that looked for redemption in Jerusalem,

4. this isn’t part of the joyous mysterious but fits in with Mary’s knowledge. Joseph’s dreams. Surely, her husband spoke of his dreams and explained why they were fleeing to Egypt. Let’s face it, kings don’t normally go around hunting down the sons of peasent girls unless they see them as a threat.

I think that most Protestants don’t doubt that Mary had faith in her son. I attended a fundamentalist church and never heard such a denial until I came on these boards and debated certain posters. I was just curious as to how anyone could logically claim that Mary did not believe in her son, after reading such passages in the bible.

1.-: and the angel at the visitation??? did she pay no attention to what the angel told her???
2.-she was a virgin when she was pregnant.
3.-she follow Jesus in all of his public life. if she have not known, i dont think she have folow him.

those guys want to bash everything catholic so bad that they sometimes say such thinks you think they think of it in crackhouse

In the three years of His public ministry He told perfect strangers. Why wouldn’t He have told Mary in the 30 years preceding?

Mary knew even before Jesus was born! As you say, how could she not?

I agree that most Protestants don’t argue Mary’s faith. In my experience (I grew up in the Reformed Church.) there was never a question that Mary was the virgen mother and the first Christian. Any other explaination doesn’t even make sense in the light of the Gospels. I really don’t understand how anyone could think she didn’t know that Jesus was divine.:confused:

Based on your what’s been already said I think it’s pretty clear that she had to have known - but I wonder why in Luke chapter 2 when Jesus stayed behind at the temple to teach & his parents came looking for him he said, “Did you know I had to be in my Father’s house?” And then it goes on to say, “But they did not understand what he was saying to them.” v.50 I wonder why they would not have understood?

[quote=carol marie]Based on your what’s been already said I think it’s pretty clear that she had to have known - but I wonder why in Luke chapter 2 when Jesus stayed behind at the temple to teach & his parents came looking for him he said, “Did you know I had to be in my Father’s house?” And then it goes on to say, “But they did not understand what he was saying to them.” v.50 I wonder why they would not have understood?
[/quote]

There is a difference between faith and understanding. You can have faith and not understand everything that GOd does.

So many disturbed pplz in this world:banghead:
:whacky:

…is this a trick question right?..

http://wside.k12.il.us/phs/teenpreg/duh.jpg

This is one of the reasons it always burns my toast to hear that song at Christmas, “Mary, Did You Know?” I always want to shout out, “Of course she knew!”

**Did Mary know that Jesus was God?

** [left]Of course not.
She thought the Angel Gabriel was a fabricator.
She knew the scenes at the Nativity event were hallucinations. And His Father was a gnostic spirit.
[/left]

[quote=Fidelis]This is one of the reasons it always burns my toast to hear that song at Christmas, “Mary, Did You Know?” I always want to shout out, “Of course she knew!”
[/quote]

But did she know **all **the details?
I think the song is beautiful. :yup:

[quote=cleofet]But did she know **all **the details?
I think the song is beautiful. :yup:
[/quote]

Are you commenting on the song or Mary’ knowledge of Jesus’s divine nature?

[quote=deb1]Are you commenting on the song or Mary’ knowledge of Jesus’s divine nature?
[/quote]

Both. I know Mary knew of His divine nature but did she know all the pain He would go through? Was it all spelled out for her? :confused:

Mary knew that she was going to give birth to the Messiah, but she did not know she was going to give birth to the Second Person of the Trinity. How could she have known that? She was born and raised as a Jew, and no Jew knew about the mystery of the Trinity until Jesus revealed that mystery by his death and resurrection. No Jew in Mary’s time ever thought that the Messiah was going to come as God incarnate.

Mary knew that the Messiah would be a godly man (a Son of God) that could work miracles, and that is why she could trust that her son could take care of the problem of the wine at Cana. Mary had no doubt that she was to be the mother of the Messiah, a man who would be the greatest prophet, priest, king and miracle worker the Jews had ever known. But it is obvious from reading Luke, that Mary did not know that Jesus was God the Son, the Second Person of the Trinity.After three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions, and all who heard him were astounded at his understanding and his answers. When his parents saw him, they were astonished, and his mother said to him, “Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety.” And he said to them, “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?” But they did not understand what he said to them.
Luke 2:46-50 Mary and Joseph were Jews, and they certainly knew that God dwelt in the Temple in a special way. But Mary and Joseph are confused by the way Jesus uses the word “father”. Mary: “Your father and I have been looking for you…”. Jesus: “Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?”

If Mary knew that Jesus was the only begotten Son of God the Father, then how could she possibly NOT understand what Jesus meant when he said that he must be in his “Father’s house”? And why should she be anxious if she knew that Jesus was God? What did she have to be anxious about? If God the Son wants to be in his Father’s house, who is she to be concerned about this decision of God? What a weakling of faith! But, no, Mary is a woman of faith, and she needed to wait in faith to understand the mystery of who her son was.

Mary had to have revealed to her the mystery that the Messiah was the Second Person of the Trinity, just as all Jews had to have this mystery revealed to them. That is why Mary had to ponder the words of Jesus in her heart.

How could Mary be a real mother to Jesus if she knew Jesus was God? Would Mary be able to give God a task and expect God to obey her because she had authority over God? Yet Luke tells us that Jesus was obedient to his parents. The only way that the two holiest humans that have ever lived could allow themselves to have authority over God was for Jesus to keep hidden from them the mystery of his divine nature.

Question: Did Mary know that Jesus was God?

1. Which Gospel writer spent the most time with Mary after Jesus’ death, burial, resurrection, and ascension?
  2. Which Gospel writer puts the greatest emphasis on Jesus’ divinity?

I could be wrong, but I would say Mary knew He was God. The Angel told them to call Him Emmanuel, which means ‘God with us’. As to her knowing all the trials and tribulations that were to be bestowed on Him; that’s anyones guess.

[quote=Nun_ofthe_Above]I could be wrong, but I would say Mary knew He was God. The Angel told them to call Him Emmanuel, which means ‘God with us’. As to her knowing all the trials and tribulations that were to be bestowed on Him; that’s anyones guess.
[/quote]

I think she at least had an inkling:

Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, “Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising of many in Israel, **and for a sign that is spoken against (and a sword will pierce through your own soul also), ** that thoughts out of many hearts may be revealed.” ~~ Luke 2:34-35

I would say that the he words “God is with us” had more meaning than Mary understood as a Jewish teenager. Behold, God is with us at our head, and his priests with their battle trumpets to sound the call to battle against you. O sons of Israel, do not fight against the LORD, the God of your fathers; for you cannot succeed."
2Chr. 13:12“God is with us” can mean that God is on our side, and nothing more than that. In the case of referring to the Messiah as “Emmanuel”, it certainly did have more meaning, but that doesn’t mean that Mary would have known the deeper hidden meaning of the words when she was a Jewish teenager.

Nor do the words “son of God” necessarily mean to a Jew that one is talking about God taking on human nature.When the Most High gave to the nations their inheritance,
when he separated the sons of men,
he fixed the bounds of the peoples
according to the number of the sons of God.
Deut. 32:8

The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown.
Gen 6:4

Let’s see: miraculous conception, following angelic visitation. Cousin declares her the “mother of my Lord”. Angels announce His birth to shepherds, who come to worship. Wise men from the east arrive to worship. Simeon & Anna both recognize Him. She watches Him grow up sinless–no mischief, no nothing bad. Ever…She sees Him heal the sick, raise the dead, multiply the loaves & fishes, etc, etc, ad infinitum… He rises from the dead after being tortured to death; He ascends into heaven. He sends the Holy Spirit at Pentecost…:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: Nah, she:rolleyes: never had a :rolleyes: clue…:whistle:

(PS: Would you like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge??? I can :rolleyes: get it for you wholesale…)

God spoke the word, and all of creation came into being. Surely Mary, a Jew familiar with the creation accounts, could think that by God merely speaking the word, that she could have the Messiah gestating in her womb. Why would she necessarily jump to the conclusion that the Messiah was going to be God incarnate?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.