Did Mary Understand the Crucifixion?

Did Mary the Mother of God understand the crucifixion and why it was necessary? Did she understand that her Son was willingly doing this for the salvation of mankind?

Personally, I believe she did. I don’t believe she stood there weeping silently, out of fear, but out of humility and to support her Son in doing the will of the Father. She was with Him at every step of His public ministry. I can’t fathom that she did not understand His mission.

But as His Mother, I assume it was still painful for her to watch.

Of course.
Peace.

patheos.com/blogs/markshea/2014/12/mary-did-you-know-faq.html

Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy would save our sons and daughters?

A: Yes. “And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus” (Lk 1:31). “Y’shua” means “the Lord is salvation”. Mary knew the meaning of that Name. That’s why she said, “My spirit exults in God my Savior.” It’s also why she spoke with complete awareness that her Son was the fulfilment of the promise of salvation to Abraham, a promise that encompasses the whole world since Abraham was told that through him, all the nations of the earth would be blessed. So she says,

“He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
as he spoke to our fathers,
to Abraham and to his posterity for ever.” (Lk 1:54–55).

Yes, she understood these things. God bless you.

I guess what I’m asking is how she knew these things.

Oh without a doubt it did. Even if she had the sense that he would defeat this, to see him being hit and blood splattering everywhere must have been painful.

Yes, even though she knew that ultimately he would defeat sin and death, she still watched her son get abused, slaughtered, and killed. It must have been horrifying for her to watch her own child, the small baby she once held in her arms, lead to a boneyard hill to be nailed to a cross.

Since Golgotha was obviously a common place of execution, I imagine Jesus bearing his cross in the hot sun, looking down at the dry rock and dirt on the hill; he probably saw skulls, fragments of bones, or maybe even some withered corpses still hanging on crosses. What a morbid and absolutely frightening sight that must have been.

Blessed Mary was educated in the Temple (from the age of 3 years old) and learned all the prophesies pertaining to the Messiah. She also was gifted above all creatures and was given infused knowledge like no one else has ever been given. God bless you.

I know she knew and understood. In the EWTN movie “Maria”, also called “Mary of Nazareth,” there was a scene where Jesus was a child no older than two or three. She was playing on the shore with Him, and He hurt Himself, and She cried His name and ran to Him. As She held Him close to her, a little child, She suddenly had a foreshadow where She was holding Him as a grown man, after He had died and been taken down from the cross. It was a very heart-rending scene. I think She probably really did have these foreshadowings. Jesus is depicted as having had them Himself in “The Bible” (2013). In the scene where He was being tempted in the wilderness and Satan was promising Him a king’s crown, the jeweled crown turned into a crown of thorns in Jesus’s mind.

I believe that she knew quite a bit from the day of Jesus’ presentation in the temple at the least due to the prophesy given to her then. That Jesus had to suffer and die was necessary but I do not believe that our Father in Heaven would be so cruel as to let the one he chose above all others to bear His Son think that it was possible for Jesus to be “rescued” from the indignities he went through. Without foreknowledge can anyone of us here see Mary, who was the most perfect woman to ever exist, and thus the most perfect Mother to ever exist, NOT begging God to spare her son? NOT rounding up her relatives and the disciples to make a quick rescue? She knew.

As to the mention of the movie on EWTN recently, the fact that she knew also means that an aspect of the movie (among one or two minor other things), would not have been true. Where she takes on Jesus’ pains when he was being scourged, the movie portrayed her as asking to bear his suffering for him and then as he was being whipped feeling the blows most keenly instead of him. While this is a nice sentimental touch, the fact is the pain that Jesus was suffering helped to speed his death due to the shock to his system. Thus the OT prophecy concerning not having a single bone to be broken would be fulfilled, since if he had not been dead already they would have at some point broken his legs to get the brutal executions over with before the Sabbath as they did the others. Too, the spear in his side wouldn’t have happened then either which we all now know held great significance in the outpouring of his Mercy.

So yeah, she knew. I’ve heard it said that if she had needed to Our Lady would have made a ladder of her own body for Jesus to climb up onto that cross. That is so bittersweet a thought it brings tears to your eyes.

God Bless You,
Julia

:thumbsup:

The prior post in my view is absolutely correct in my view, this was my immediate thought as well. Just to restate part of that passage:

Luke 2:34 Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: “This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, 35 so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too.”

If Simeon’s words were heeded, one could get a general idea of what was to come and then, She, Mary, would likewise understand as guided by the Holy Spirit in my opinion.

I have read that one of the popes, St John XXIII I think, said that she not only accepted it but willed it. Her will was in perfect accord with God’s. However, I have never been able to find the quotation.

Hell no, but she sure understood the resurrection.

Private revelations by Venerable Mary of Agreda, Venerable Catherine emmerich, and servant of God Cecilia Baij among others agree that the Virgin Mary knew what was going to happen and why.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.